U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
 
39,998 posts, read 24,253,880 times
Reputation: 12583

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Same result as a 9-0 decision.
In some ways. But she's been nominated to replace Souter, and Souter was one of the 4 who agreed with her. So it seems she'll uphold the balance on the Court. If it had been 9-0, that may have raised additional issues, an altogether different result. Also, when it comes to Supreme Court reversals, there are groups that keep count of the actual votes, not just whether a decision was reversed or not. So the 5-4 does count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:26 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,392,230 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Same result as a 9-0 decision.

They cannot see that. And these people actually are allowed to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,392,230 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Yippppeeeee!!! Now white folks can get their jobs back from all those black folks that stole it!

Maybe they will come up with an apology and make up for the pay losses my Father got screwed out of because of affirmative action.

He is now retired and the loser who stole his job is long gone from the job they handed to him, bet he is on welfare right now as he was a stupid ass who failed to show up his first day on the job because he had a tummy ache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 11,571,264 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In some ways. But she's been nominated to replace Souter, and Souter was one of the 4 who agreed with her. So it seems she'll uphold the balance on the Court. If it had been 9-0, that may have raised additional issues, an altogether different result. Also, when it comes to Supreme Court reversals, there are groups that keep count of the actual votes, not just whether a decision was reversed or not. So the 5-4 does count.
Counts for the winning side only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:35 PM
 
39,998 posts, read 24,253,880 times
Reputation: 12583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Counts for the winning side only.
And yet I've known people who spend hours poring over baseball statistics. Sometimes a win is a win. And sometimes the team loses, but the player's statistics make history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 11,571,264 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And yet I've known people who spend hours poring over baseball statistics. Sometimes a win is a win. And sometimes the team loses, but the player's statistics make history.
Oh gosh, sounds like a heartfelt story of how the loser is also perceived as the 2nd place winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:41 PM
 
39,998 posts, read 24,253,880 times
Reputation: 12583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Oh gosh, sounds like a heartfelt story of how the loser is also perceived as the 2nd place winner.

Thanks, I really needed to clean Coke off my keyboard this afternoon. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 PM
 
Location: chattanooga
646 posts, read 707,504 times
Reputation: 266
I am glad the high court reversed this.But pretty soon she will have the final say and we are one vote away from these reverse discrimination cases not going the right way.Actually everything from this to gun ownership is pretty much 5 to 4.This is the most important decision a president can make for our freedoms and pretty soon it will be liberal court.The american people missed on this one,voting for Obama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:52 PM
 
39,998 posts, read 24,253,880 times
Reputation: 12583
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
I am glad the high court reversed this.But pretty soon she will have the final say and we are one vote away from these reverse discrimination cases not going the right way.Actually everything from this to gun ownership is pretty much 5 to 4.This is the most important decision a president can make for our freedoms and pretty soon it will be liberal court.The american people missed on this one,voting for Obama
None of the five have announced plans to resign. Sotomayor's confirmation will only replace Souter, and actually Sotomayor may actually be a more conservative judge than Souter if you read through her opinions versus his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 03:04 PM
 
3,568 posts, read 3,269,990 times
Reputation: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Justices Ginsburg, Souter, Breyer, and Stevens must be stark-raving, anti-white racists too.
I wouldn't say that they are anti-white racists. But they are so blinded by liberal guilt that they can't see what is right in front of them--that these white (and one Hispanic) firefighters got screwed because they were white. How hard is that to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top