U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 39,482,585 times
Reputation: 7107

Advertisements

Quote:
The lower court ruling was following the law, that extraordinarily unbalanced test results is indicative of an unbalanced test and the results should be thrown out and a new test be given.
Where do you come up with the notion the test was "unbalanced"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 39,482,585 times
Reputation: 7107
Quote:
In any case, passing people who did not pass the test simply because of their race is wrong, and racist itself.
An excellent point. Is she saying that minorities are too dumb to pass this test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 28,111,630 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Sorry, but I'm not accepting the responsibility of educating you. It's not possible anyway - you refuse to be educated.

The law is easily researched by anyone who wants to be informed.



Anyone who uses this decision to bash Sotomayor is a hack who will reject reality in order to bash her, and by extension, Obama. That's your MO, and a cite to a law that you could look up - if you were interested in being correct - won't change that.
I think you fail to see the fact that the city of New Haven had taken great care in hiring people to make a test that couldn't be called racially discriminatory so as to avoid problems. When they had gone to such lengths surely the test should have had at least one black person able to score in the top 15, if any took it who were really wanting the promotion. Of course, we have a President who was elected because of his race with so many whites not wanting to appear racially affected, but does that mean that firefighters have to be hired that way.

I think you fail to cite the law you keep throwing at Sanrene because you don't have one. One should always try if they are trying so hard to educate as you say you are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 39,482,585 times
Reputation: 7107
Quote:
Sorry, but I'm not accepting the responsibility of educating you. It's not possible anyway - you refuse to be educated.

The law is easily researched by anyone who wants to be informed.
You're the one who made the claim to what the statute said - I can rest assured now that you can't back up that opinion - that the text says nothing that you have claimed it does.

Instead of relying on the ignorance of others and regurgitated talking points, maybe you should actually read the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 28,111,630 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
What world do you live in? This didn't happen.
In a way that is exactly what happened. There were openings that were tested for and because no black people scored in the top 15 for those jobs nobody got the jobs. Surely that is reverse discrimination. Why do libs put up those shields from truth in cases like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 51,204,468 times
Reputation: 24606
I doubt, given the cultural differences between ALL the people in the US, that any test for any leadership position could be written in an entirely racially neutral manner. We could write a test for accountants (1+1=2 except when determining high level taxes where 1+1=0) but probably not for the CEO of the Accounting firm..

I wonder if the armed forces have actually developed culturally and racially neutral tests as the number of minorities in the command ranks seems to actually reflect the distribution of people in our society. I wonder how they do it.

Last edited by GregW; 06-29-2009 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 39,482,585 times
Reputation: 7107
Quote:
Anyone who uses this decision to bash Sotomayor is a hack who will reject reality in order to bash her, and by extension, Obama.
She has a 66% reversal on cases at SCOTUS - see my new thread. That is reason enough to recognize her wrong-headed thinking and know that she is not qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 28,111,630 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The employment tests that employers used to administer to employees have all but disappeared. Because employers were successfully sued for testing the skills of employees before actually hiring them. Such skills tests have been replaced by degree and certification requirements, because the tests were ruled to be racist. Given that precedent, New Haven's caution when presented with the racial disparity on these tests was not unreasonable.
It has been time for the Court to address "reverse discrimination" for so long and finally they did so. Do we really have to keep on having racially based advancement and hiring? That was one of the saddest things we have ever been forced to accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Idaho Falls
5,027 posts, read 5,523,886 times
Reputation: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
She has a 66% reversal on cases at SCOTUS - see my new thread. That is reason enough to recognize her wrong-headed thinking and know that she is not qualified.
66% is lower than average.

thanks for defending Sotomayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 28,111,630 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I take it you also did not read the case.

The city did all this AFTER the fact. There is no "assumption" in this case, the white firefighters expected and were due to be promoted after the test results said they should be.

You have this totally a**backwards - the city scrapped the results, thereby cheating the white firefighters out of their promotions - ONLY because of the potential lawsuit from the minority firefighters.
The worst part of this case is that the city surely did act in a racially discriminatory manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top