Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
CNN en Espanol, Democracy Now, AP
I would like to compare the story you have read and heard with your interpretation of those stories - you see, they are not always the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Um...just the little problem that it was illegal. The Supreme Court said it was illegal, the congress said it was illegal, the AG said it was illegal - but for you, all of that is just "no big deal".

Besides, the president has NO authority to change the constitution by referendum or any other means. That Poli-sci degree didn't do much for you I see.
They should have used democratic means to deal with the situation, not a military coup. It's no big deal because if Zalaya won, it would not give him permission to remain in power. The constitiution, while prohibiting a second term, allows the president to consult his constituents, which is what he was doing. He wasn't changing the constitution. By the way, my degree has done alot for me;if you'd pull your head out of your ass for a second mabye you'd realize.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

That was exactly what he had in mind, so he could serve another term. List your sources.
You need to list your sources. We're supposed to take your word for all this?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think that we are, Katiana

I recall not long ago I listed a source about a proposed natural gas pipeline from a convservative business publication and sanrene started squawking it was probably some "lib" rag or some such because it dared to question the integrity of her girl crush SP.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
probably got this info from Rush Limbaugh's Oxycontin poppin' ass.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
The constitiution, while prohibiting a second term, allows the president to consult his constituents, which is what he was doing. He wasn't changing the constitution. By the way, my degree has done alot for me;if you'd pull your head out of your ass for a second mabye you'd realize.
You don't consult your constituents by holding an illegal referendum. He wanted to change the constitution to allow another term as president - illegal. Based on the reasoning you have displayed here, that basically turns a country's laws on it's head for the express purpose of allowing an illegal referendum that is "just no big deal" - I would say it is not my head that needs to be pulled out of the darkness.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Google is your friend.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
violate the laws of a nation? What do you mean like sending the military to oust a democraticlly elected president? Like having Congress appoint a president.
Well now, since Zelyaya would not abide by the laws of his own country, by all the other branches of government telling him what he was doing was illegal - that didn't leave them much choice. What happened to the precious rule of law - it's seems it shouldn't apply to despots and dictators, right?

Congress had the authority to remove him, which they did.

Quote:
By the way, I'm still waiting on your sources.
I'm still waiting for those stories you read and heard about - the facts that I have read don't jive with your "interpretation".

Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
You don't consult your constituents by holding an illegal referendum. He wanted to change the constitution to allow another term as president - illegal. Based on the reasoning you have displayed here, that basically turns a country's laws on it's head for the express purpose of allowing an illegal referendum that is "just no big deal" - I would say it is not my head that needs to be pulled out of the darkness.
In Honduras it's the only way to do so because the majority of people don't have phones, so you can't take a poll.

I stand by my comments, and I bet many other posters on this thread agree with me.

By the way, I'm still waiting for you to list your sources.

Last edited by fauve; 06-30-2009 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: language

Old 06-29-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
In Honduras it's the only way to do so because the majority of people don't have phones, so you can't take a poll.
Oh, this is good. Real good.

Quote:
I stand by my comments about your head being up your ass, and I bet many other posters on this thread agree with me.

By the way, I'm still waiting for you to list your sources.
Is this what that poli-sci degree has done for you? Can't argue your points without resorting to name calling?

See my previous posts about sources - they are all over the place. None of them match your view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies