Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 AM

297 posts, read 348,968 times

Advertisements

Candidate to confront deputies over raid

Host, guest arrested at Busby fundraiser

ENCINITAS — Francine Busby says she will demand an explanation from the Sheriff's Department about deputies breaking up a fundraising party held for her in Cardiff and arresting the host.
The party was Friday night in the 1300 block of Rubenstein Avenue, the home of Shari Barman, a Busby supporter.
It ended with Barman, 60, being arrested......Mod cut-please click link for the rest of the story
Candidate to confront deputies over raid

They sent in Helicopters and used pepper spray and violence over a "noise complaint"!!!!!

This makes two incidents of State-sponsored violence against LGBT Americans in less than a week. It must be stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
So it's not just the Fort Worth, TX Police who "hate gays" after all.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
So it's not just the Fort Worth, TX Police who "hate gays" after all.
Sadly, no. We are subject to this sort of behavior wherever we live. From The victim:

Deputy Abbott asked for my name and date of birth. I gave him my name and politely asked him why he needed my date of birth. He said it was for identification purposes in case they needed to return to the premises. Because he had my name and I had identified myself as the homeowner, I asked why he would need my date of birth. He told me I was under arrest, grabbed my right arm, twisted it behind me and threw me on the ground. Some of the 25 or so people who were still in attendance observed what was happening and started asking the deputy what was going on. My partner, Jane Stratton, asked him to please be careful as I had recently had right shoulder surgery. His response was to knock her to the ground. At this point, some of the guests attempted to come to my aid and to Ms. Stratton's. Without warning the deputy started pepper spraying everyone, even those who were simply standing in the area. All of this happened in a matter of minutes. I was subsequently arrested and transported to the Vista detention center and released the following day at 11am.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...sing-event.php

Last edited by equality4all; 06-30-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 06-30-2009, 12:10 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Looking at the actual reporting in the article, rather than the editorializing:

1) The Sheriff's Department received the complaint at 9:33 p.m. from a man who said someone was talking on a loudspeaker and a crowd was cheering, keeping him awake.

2) Deputy Marshall Abbott, who has worked for the department for about two years, was sent in response to the noise complaint

3) When Abbott arrived, Yancey said, he told Barman about the complaint, and she uttered an expletive about a neighbor. Abbott asked Barman for her birth date so he could issue a noise warning, but Barman refused to give it, he said.

4) Barman tried to walk away, Yancey said, and Abbott grabbed her. The guests took Barman away, and Abbott used pepper spray on them. In the chaos, someone kicked the emergency response team member, a woman who is 5-foot-2, Yancey said.

So how did the guests "take Barman away" in the course of a legitimate conversation with a police officer?

What kind of moron of an elected official uses an amplified bull-horn in a residential area?

Why did the home owner resist and turn a simple warning for a noise complaint into a resisting arrest charge?

I hate half-azzed reporting, where the author's opinion and editorializing gets in the way of telling the facts. Once you take the emotion out of it, it soulds like the homeowner, as well as others, provoked the whole thing.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
There's her story. There's the cop's story. And then there is the actual chain of events.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Wouldn't it have just been easier to just answer the question and let a lawyer present her objections later if she felt so strongly about it? The question was not of the "you-have-the-right-to-remain-silent" type, but in connection with a citation being written.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:20 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

1) The Sheriff's Department received the complaint at 9:33 p.m. from a man who said someone was talking on a loudspeaker and a crowd was cheering, keeping him awake.

2) Deputy Marshall Abbott, who has worked for the department for about two years, was sent in response to the noise complaint

3) When Abbott arrived, Yancey said, he told Barman about the complaint, and she uttered an expletive about a neighbor. Abbott asked Barman for her birth date so he could issue a noise warning, but Barman refused to give it, he said.

4) Barman tried to walk away, Yancey said, and Abbott grabbed her. The guests took Barman away, and Abbott used pepper spray on them. In the chaos, someone kicked the emergency response team member, a woman who is 5-foot-2, Yancey said.

So how did the guests "take Barman away" in the course of a legitimate conversation with a police officer?

What kind of moron of an elected official uses an amplified bull-horn in a residential area?

Why did the home owner resist and turn a simple warning for a noise complaint into a resisting arrest charge?

I hate half-azzed reporting, where the author's opinion and editorializing gets in the way of telling the facts. Once you take the emotion out of it, it soulds like the homeowner, as well as others, provoked the whole thing.
According to the article, she was using a microphone, before 9:00 p.m. I don't know about you, but I've had neighbors have parties w/bands that go later than 9, I've also heard people speaking on microphones. So yes, it's not unusual.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I'd be happy to.

Quote:
1) The Sheriff's Department received the complaint at 9:33 p.m. from a man who said someone was talking on a loudspeaker and a crowd was cheering, keeping him awake.:
That's one version. Here's another:

"From about 8 to 8:30 p.m., Busby said, she used an amplified microphone to talk to guests, whom she described as middle-aged supporters"

I wonder if the neighbor that called was the one making "disparaging remarks"?

Quote:
I hate the increasing number of incidents where unwarranted excessive police force is being used on the LGBT Community and those that relentlessly support it.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Liberals vs Liberals.

This ought to get interesting.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:36 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
I hate the increasing number of incidents where unwarranted excessive police force is being used on the LGBT Community and those that relentlessly support it.
I hate that some people just don't know how to be good members of the community, respect others' rights to peace (and quiet where appropriate), and it takes a police officer to get them to behave - after which they play the screaming victim because they couldn't act like responsible adults. The bullhorn after 9:00p was inexcusable - and just because they're LGBT does not give them the right to show how loud and flamboyant they can be.

One officer showed up and it should have been resolved quickly and quietly. The whole riot squad and/or SWAT team did not come in with guns blazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies