Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
He has already lost significant Gay support and I am sure he is losing more by the day. He needs to "put his money where his mouth is"; he will lose support from other groups also since he appears to have LIED during his campaign just to pander to certain demographic groups.
I disagree. Obama is already the most pro-gay President we've ever had. I think it's okay to keep the pressure on him, but to say that he has lied just to pander to certain groups is an exaggeration.

Quote:
Failure to move forward, at this time to pass legislation for equality....WILL COST the DEMOCRATS DEARLY
I'll believe it when I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 04:31 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I disagree. Obama is already the most pro-gay President we've ever had. I think it's okay to keep the pressure on him, but to say that he has lied just to pander to certain groups is an exaggeration.

I'll believe it when I see it.
You will and what has Obama done except talk rhetoric and throw us a few crumbs...we agree to disagree...but I am going back to being registered as an Independant. I think younger Gays are more optimistic; older gay people have "been there and done that".

Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
You will and what has Obama done except talk rhetoric and throw us a few crumbs...we agree to disagree...but I am going back to being registered as an Independant. I think younger Gays are more optimistic; older gay people have "been there and done that".
He's been in office for a little over five months. I guess I have more patience than some, and I understand that the political process can be complicated. These things take time. He's only the President. Congress has to act in order to change the Defense Of Marriage Act and repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell. Obama can't do it on his own.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
He's been in office for a little over five months. I guess I have more patience than some, and I understand that the political process can be complicated. These things take time. He's only the President. Congress has to act in order to change the Defense Of Marriage Act and repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell. Obama can't do it on his own.
He can however issue an executive order or stop loss order for the DADT.

I agree that we can't put a lot of the blame on Obama, Congress has to repeal DADT and DOMA but he isn't making the repeal of DOMA any easier by saying he is for "civil unions" and not marriage equality.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I agree that we can't put a lot of the blame on Obama, Congress has to repeal DADT and DOMA but he isn't making the repeal of DOMA any easier by saying he is for "civil unions" and not marriage equality.
If Obama came out for same-sex marriage at this point, the Republicans would use that as one of their biggest rallying cries. It's better for him to take the moderate position of supporting civil unions (which, don't forget, was a very liberal position just 10 years ago).

Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
He can however issue an executive order or stop loss order for the DADT.

Exactly....a stroke of the pen!!!! While our servicemen and women suffer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies