Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Now, these are TRUE HEROES who deserve our respect, air time on TV for their memorials, and a moment of silence in Congress.
Michael Jackson isn't being honored because he was a "hero".

He's being honored because he was one of the most famous people that ever lived.

He's being honored because he was an American icon, who was loved by hundreds of millions of fans all over the world.

Why exactly does someone have to be a "hero" to receive recognition?

Was Princess Diana a "hero" ? And yet her country honored her with one of the biggest funerals in history, with days of media coverage.

Are U.S. presidents "heros"? And yet ... they have flags fly at half-mast, and have huge funerals, also with a ton of media coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:25 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sammie Davis Junior, Harry Belafonte, Nat King Cole, Sidney Poitier, Della Reese, Mahalia Jackson, Bill Cosby to name just a few who preceded him.
Sorry, I don't think any of them ever reached the pinnacle of success that MJ did. I know who all of those people are because my parents loved age music but I'm sure that there a lot of people my age who haven't heard of Mahalia Jackson and only know references for the others. Those younger than me probably know even less. Most people probably would only reference Della Reese as an actress because her singing career isn't very well-known.

Were any of them popular in other countries?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:12 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Let's put the pin back in the grenade shall we...

So anyone who didn't like Michael Jackson was a racist? We need to get a life? You're posting your emotional meltdown at 2:30 AM over a guy who didn't even know you existed. I can see you're really taking this hard, try clicking your heels together three times while singing "We are the World" and maybe you'll magically appear in Neverland...and if we're lucky, never to be heard from again.
You got it wrong, the post was at 1:36 EST .

And of course, another jealous nobody that wants to stand on top of a soapbox he can't afford. The only thing I laugh at are the nobodies that want to rant about Congress giving the Man a moment of silence. So what's the big deal? Anyone starting a thread about that being a problem needs to get a life.
With that sort of mindset and topics like these, the mental picture that comes to mind is that of a backwards, stern, hard headed, old fart (dare I say bigoted) who will never give credit when and where it's due to anyone (who does not share their views, values and pedigree).

Quote:
Yep, sad, but true. He was pathetic - but RICH because of all the people who bought into his image.
I see the jealousy seeping through your skin. About a Billion people paid their respect to him one way or another. When you croak and die, try getting 10 people say they cared about your bitter a-s-s..

Quote:
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree as to a person's artisic talents, contributions to our culture, and importance to the world. Singing and dancing are both forms of art - which is subjective and valued differently by each audience individual. I agree that he was very artistic and quite popular - just not worthy of being on such a high pedestal.
I agree with almost everything you said, except the last statement. It's obvious many people disagree as well. Many people put him where he deserved to be. He got his due credit, and we should let the man Rest In Peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Michael Jackson isn't being honored because he was a "hero".

He's being honored because he was one of the most famous people that ever lived.

He's being honored because he was an American icon, who was loved by hundreds of millions of fans all over the world.

Why exactly does someone have to be a "hero" to receive recognition?

Was Princess Diana a "hero" ? And yet her country honored her with one of the biggest funerals in history, with days of media coverage.

Are U.S. presidents "heros"? And yet ... they have flags fly at half-mast, and have huge funerals, also with a ton of media coverage.
\

Very well said. Kudos!! Rep points in order.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 AM

763 posts, read 1,298,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I bet you believe in the farcical notion of "reverse racism", and you voted for the village idiot...TWICE.

If you don't think it's a good idea to honor MJ in this way, and you are not a fan of MJ, then what was done was the RIGHT thing.

Michael Jackson is the greatest performer ever, and don't you forget it either.
If Bush is the village idiot, then that would make Obama the GHETTO IDIOT

There is nothing wrong with a moment of silence for Michael Jackson. A very talented and special musician deserving of rememberance. Besides, a moment of silence means that that idiot Pelosi will be quiet for a moment and we won't have to listen to her garbage

Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Sorry, I don't think any of them ever reached the pinnacle of success that MJ did. I know who all of those people are because my parents loved age music but I'm sure that there a lot of people my age who haven't heard of Mahalia Jackson and only know references for the others. Those younger than me probably know even less. Most people probably would only reference Della Reese as an actress because her singing career isn't very well-known.

They were known and appreciated in other countries. Remember, their day was well before the digital age so nothing was as widespread as it is now.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:28 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

They were known and appreciated in other countries. Remember, their day was well before the digital age so nothing was as widespread as it is now and no one, not even Liberace, was as flamboyant as MJ.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
It does not surprise me in the least that a Democratic congress would have a moment of silence for a drug addict and little boy child molester. Par for the course.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:05 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The key word being "risk." Some of us have the courage for it. Others of you don't.
Driving drunk involves risk. Snorting cocaine involves risk. Robbing a bank involves risk. Raping someone in the street involves risk. Russian Roulette involves risk. None of those things are admirable, so obviously "risk" is NOT the key word, at least for civilized human beings.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
You got it wrong, the post was at 1:36 EST .

And of course, another jealous nobody that wants to stand on top of a soapbox he can't afford.
Trust me, I have been nor will I ever be, jealous of Michael Jackson. Not his fame, not his fortune, not his eccentricities and especially not his taste for little boys. You automatically assume that people dislike him for his money or social status. Perhaps there are just decent people out there who aren't willing to compromise their belief in right and wrong and give someone a pass just because they were a celebrity. I would have preferred Barry White got a moment of silence in Congress rather than Micheal Jackass.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Trust me, I have been , jealous of Michael Jackson. His fame, His fortune, his eccentricities. You automatically assume that people dislike him for his money or social status.
I corrected it for you. Don't be affraid to express your anger, my friend. It will be fine. Even if Barry White got a moment of silence, you'd still be up in arms. Barry Manilow, I'd see you seeing it fit. (I have nothing against Barry Manilow btw. He's a good artist) Lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies