Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is looking to and expecting the government to solve all of our problems a good idea?
Yes. 0 0%
No. 43 100.00%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Is looking to and expecting the government to solve our problems a good idea?

I'm not attempting to start a flame war. Some people look to the government to provide answers, some look away from the government to get answers. Which way do you look?
There must be government, but less government is better government.

Freedom to pursue any enterprise and to accumulate wealth is what has made this nation great.

The revocation of that freedom is what will make this nation a second rate republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
There must be government, but less government is better government.
What an utterly meaningless, in short a logical fallacy.

What possible correlation can be offered that the size of a government has any affect on the "freedom to pursue any enterprise and to accumulate wealth?" Unless of course you hold that any enterprise regardless of what harm it may cause society in general is valid or that the accumulation of wealth by any means is proper.

Another logical fallacy, is that government played no over riding role in the economic development of the United States. Even on the most facile level, for that statement to be false one, of course would have to ignore entirely the conquest and purchase of almost 3/5ths of the nations land mass which provide cheap (and sometimes free) land that fueled the countries economic expansion. It would discount the role and expense to the government for the acquisition, its exploration, and security.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Well, if you have to guess then you don't have much to work with.
It's a figure of speech. I gave you specific examples.

If you can't respond in adult manner. You definitely have nothing to work with.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It's a figure of speech. I gave you specific examples.

If you can't respond in adult manner. You definitely have nothing to work with.

No, what you did was throw out some agencies but did not specify in what way or how. Now, if you know that these organizations can be more efficiently run than I want to hear about it. If your guessing that they could be more efficiently run or should be disbanded then I'd like some meat with the potatoes.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I've never met anyone who believes that the government should solve all problems, no one, ever!
Look harder. There are many. And may I add that I respect those people as much as a Python with a bloody mouth. This govt can go to hell. Freaking criminals.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Look harder. There are many. And may I add that I respect those people as much as a Python with a bloody mouth. This govt can go to hell. Freaking criminals.
A Python with a bloody mouth?

What freakish planet did you come from?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:09 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
The planet of "I can throw out answers without much thought behind them."

Old 07-02-2009, 12:47 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Is looking to and expecting the government to solve our problems a good idea?

I'm not attempting to start a flame war. Some people look to the government to provide answers, some look away from the government to get answers. Which way do you look?
I see our Government as an entity that has proven itself to be untrustworthy, irresponsible, and a poor role model for its citizens. There are many reasons for this, but corruption / red tape / apathy / and poor Management certainly heads up the list.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:52 PM

353 posts, read 552,147 times
"If government is the answer it must be a really stupid question"

Old 07-02-2009, 02:29 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
"If government is the answer it must be a really stupid question"
Bingo, buddy !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies