Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:06 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I believe I said for either party.

But you didn't mean it for either party....check out the title of your thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
Calling someone a "right wing nutjob" or equivalent is a easy way to demonize those who disagree with your political views, it is an attempt to invalidate their opinion and project ones own superiority. It is also a convenient way for the news to duck the topic of the growing dissatisfaction with the ever encroaching, bloated, wasteful, disenfranchised .gov, "Some right winger extremist with a Ron Paul bumper sticker..."

Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I don't do that. I think it's childish. My point is, you can't point fingers at one side and call them immature as OP has done, then conveniently ignore what the other side is doing.

Do you agree with me that calling someone "Left Wing" or "Right Wing" is not an insult?
Yes, I agree it is not an insult.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Does Chimp or Bushhitler ring a bell?
Not acceptable either. Point being - you can't point fingers at one while ignoring the other.

Is "Right Winger" an insult?

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
"left winger" and "right winger" are not insults. You can't be serious.

Are you also decrying the people calling our President:
Nobama
0bama
Barry
Hussein
Obumma

Meeeschelle?
I am very serious or I wouldnt have asked the question. Now if you agree or dont agree thats fine. But I have a right to ask the question.

Didnt he call himself Barry in high school? So no one else can call him that?

As far as the other names I for one am trying very hard to lead by example I guess you could say. Yeah it would be easy to call Obama names and say oh but you all called G w Bush ( who I didnt even vote for ) names so tit for tat that makes it right. I see as one group needs to say no I am above that. Its childish on both parts

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Right winger is not an insult, neither is left winger.

Funny thing though, many liberals do not like to be referred to as liberals and tend to think of themselves as centrist no matter how far left they or the ideas they support are. Kind of like they call Obama a centrist when it is very clear by all of his voting record and his actions since becoming president that he is well to the left of center and very much a liberal.

I have never seen conservatives run from the label of being called a conservative though. Why is it that so many liberals refuse to admit they are liberals and insist they are centrist?
I see lots of people whose posts seem liberal call themselves independant & also lots of people whose posts seem very conservative call themselves independants or libertarians. So there ya go. Me, I'm a liberal I don't claim to be otherwise.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Calling someone a "right wing nutjob" or equivalent is a easy way to demonize those who disagree with your political views, it is an attempt to invalidate their opinion and project ones own superiority. It is also a convenient way for the news to duck the topic of the growing dissatisfaction with the ever encroaching, bloated, wasteful, disenfranchised .gov, "Some right winger extremist with a Ron Paul bumper sticker..."
Thank you. Glad I see I am not the only one seeing this

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
The left is made up of mostly liberals and welfare recipients who support the liberal movement to be free handout oriented in their politics. The Republicans have and identity crisis and I did not get my butt kicked because I am not a Republican. Republicans have a combination of social conservatives who can't leave people alone and let them live their life, and democrat lites who talk conservative and act like liberals. That is why they lost and why they are so disorganized. The sooner they tell the social conservatives to shut up and mind their own business, then kick the government growth RINO's to the curb, the faster they will rebuild. If they can't figure that out, I hope they die off and the Libertarian party takes their place. But considering the libertarians let Bob Barr run, they are not looking very good.
The left is not "mostly made up of welfare recipients" looking for a free handout. That's another generalization, just like the generalization that the right is made up of ignorant hicks from the South.

Extremes on either side made their party look bad.

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I believe I said for either party.
I believe your OP was geared towards liberals. Would you like me to repost it?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
But you didn't mean it for either party....check out the title of your thread.
Either way it goes I put " either party" in there.

Now you can nit pick on the title all day long but the bottom line is I put " either Party" in there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies