Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times

Advertisements

It is an interesting theory with many good points, but like all ideologies too many people tie themselves steadfast to it and abandon pragmatism...its inflexibility is its main weakness imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Some good stuff, some weird but overall a much better alternative to either of the corrupt parties we currently have.
It might be just the alternative to replace the Republican Party.

But how would it keep the Republican Party from taking it over?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Do I agree with all things libertarian? No, of course not - that said I do identify myself as a libertarian.

I think what bothers some people about the existence of libertarians is that they are not easily classified (and dismissed) as a republican or a democrat. Libertarians are 'other' with none of the partisan crap that has ruined both major parties. Personally, the very fact that libertarians can and do embrace both abortion and gun rights shows me that the ideology is not wed to a party or to lobbyists. I find that rather refreshing and rare.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
It has the same problem as communism. Sounds great on paper and in theory. In practice....ehhhhh, no thanks. It's very utopian.
The same can be said for conservatism or liberalism. Every creed has aspirations which can succeed or falter in the real world.

But entrepeneurship has been proven very successful in this country, open markets are suffering a bad reputation nowadays, lower taxes have proven an economic generator over the past 3 decades.
The last administration shows that we have to watch our civil liberties very closely. Too many people have a devil-may-care attitude about their CL's.
And the expansion of the welfare state combined with military obligations and entanglements over the last 50 years have been very costly.
Will a smaller welfare program and military be beneficial to this country? I don't know.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Do I agree with all things libertarian? No, of course not - that said I do identify myself as a libertarian.

I think what bothers some people about the existence of libertarians is that they are not easily classified (and dismissed) as a republican or a democrat. Libertarians are 'other' with none of the partisan crap that has ruined both major parties. Personally, the very fact that libertarians can and do embrace both abortion and gun rights shows me that the ideology is not wed to a party or to lobbyists. I find that rather refreshing and rare.
Which of the following three philosophies is most consistent with the U.S. Constitution?

Republicanism

Democracy

Libertarianism

Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
It has the same problem as communism. Sounds great on paper and in theory. In practice....ehhhhh, no thanks. It's very utopian.
How exactly is it utopian? (meaning out of reach/no place)

Its basically the more freedom and less control. I fail to see how thats utopian unless you desire controlling people or feel that humans cannot make their own decisions for their own benefit.

Quote:
It sounds good in a perfect world, but the world isn't perfect.
The world is imperfect but the free-market seems to work pretty good.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 PM

83 posts, read 299,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
How exactly is it utopian? (meaning out of reach/no place)

Its basically the more freedom and less control. I fail to see how thats utopian unless you desire controlling people or feel that humans cannot make their own decisions for their own benefit.

The world is imperfect but the free-market seems to work pretty good.
The economy would probably collapse after a few years with no regulation.
Environmental disaster in a lot of areas as well.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:58 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
It's rare to run accross a real Libertarian on these boards. Most are fake Libertarians. Right wing authoritarians who take up the cause after Dems get in power......Anything to score political hit points.

The you have the gun nuts who go on and on about the 2nd Amendment and could care less about other civil liberties that are founded in the Constituion as well.

The best way to catch these pot bellied, middle aged, disgruntled, militia types is to have them link to one of their posts critical of Bush and his rubberstamp GOP Congress for their outrageous claims of Gvt power, Gvt secrecy, invasion of privacy, and law breaking during his term in office.

Very few of them can do it.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:58 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Sounds like a nightmare to me. The idea that people are being "coerced" every time they walk out their front doors makes me want to ship them all off to their own island and let them try to live in Libertaria. I suspect we'd see a real life Lord of the Flies in no time.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
It's rare to run accross a real Libertarian on these boards. Most are fake Libertarians. Right wing authoritarians who take up the cause after Dems get in power......Anything to score political hit points.

The you have the gun nuts who go on and on about the 2nd Amendment and could care less about other civil liberties that are founded in the Constituion as well.

The best way to catch these fakers is to have them link to one of their posts critical of Bush and his rubberstamp GOP Congress for outrageous claims of Gvt power, Gvt secrecy, invasion of privacy, law breaking during his term in office.

Very few of them can do it.
You are right in that many disgruntled republicans are becoming independent or libertarian. It is not just the democrats or liberals that have noticed that the gop has become overrun with fundies bent on turning the US into a theocracy.
I can't link you to a post where I am critical of W - but only because there are so many. That chimp screwed us all. Mccain was no better. I vaguely liked Romney but the fundies couldn't handle having a 'heathen/mormon' president so he was out of the race pretty quickly.

As to why conservatives are attracted to libertarianism well, I have to admit that a neocon never would be. But again, this shows how far the republicans have distanced themselves from true conservativism. Conservative does not mean making sure everyone is a christian nor does conservatism interest itself on who is sleeping with whom. And it sure as hell does not get into wars for dubious reasons in order to prove to daddy that sonny boy is a good president too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies