Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:05 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

The worst sin for a politician is bad judgment. The second worst sin for a politician is believing your own PR. The third worse sin is to not be embarrassed by your bad judgment.

Let's take the sex/romance/family out of it for a minute. Knowing he was in the public eye, knowing his future would be in the public eye, Sanford did something stupid for a politician. Let's say he got away with it this time and no one found out except his wife. Did he think if he ran for President no one would find out? That's just incredibly bad judgment and you've got to think if he used bad judgment here, how do you trust his judgment on any matter that would actually impact us?

The thing that I find incredible about this story is while professing to have to repair things with his family, publicly he just keeps making it worse. Shut up, already about your girlfriend. It's bad enough he mentions her first in his original public apology but then he just keeps going on and on.

Mr Sanford, now would be a good time to go take a hike on the Appalachian Trail without a cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 10:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The man was not thinking. He was emoting with his dick and dicks are not rational. He should be considered temporally insane. Now if he brought the woman in question back and told both her and his wife to get along, it would confirm the insanity. That would really take a pair. Living with both women would put him straight (pun intended) to the top of the Macho list.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The man was not thinking. He was emoting with his dick and dicks are not rational. He should be considered temporally insane. Now if he brought the woman in question back and told both her and his wife to get along, it would confirm the insanity. That would really take a pair. Living with both women would put him straight (pun intended) to the top of the Macho list.
I think he pushed the envelope far enough to stretch it permanently out of shape when he asked his wife if he could visit his girlfriend.

If I were his wife at that point and been asked such a question, he would not have left the room with any reason to ever visit another woman still intact, but I'm apparently not as understanding as Jenny.

The woman's a saint, I tell you.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:32 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
I read the op yesterday and was just stunned at the bigotry.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I read the op yesterday and was just stunned at the bigotry.
It is absolutly stunning how "hateful" some members of the clergy can be!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:25 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
Following the events of Governor Mark Sanford, honestly, I feel bad for him, terrible in fact. I feel sorry for all those involved.

But, I feel worse for all Americans. We are all lost in twisted logic. Let me explain.

One of the most abominable sins in all of moral history is homosexuality. The broad American public at large however, is asked to except this at large. One of the hottest political subjects and arguments today is that of the gay rights, and gay marriages. Something that throughout the world’s history has been known to be horrid and twisted. Uch!

Unfortunately, Governor Sanford succumbed to a hearts desire. Is it wrong? Yes! Is it normal….. Well far more normal then two men living together.

Now if Americans can quietly digest the disgust and filth of public homosexuality, why can the governor not be understood and forgiven.

Or am I missing something? Is it that he was not caught with another man.

May G-D forgive us all.
In the real world, Mark got in trouble because of his utter inability to control his Sanford.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
What on earth is "moral history?" LOL!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:35 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
So you have no morals no values no nothing just an empty soul and you dont believe in nothing?
That would be me.

Nya-ah-ahhhh. I'm so eeeeeeeeeeeeevil.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:10 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
Following the events of Governor Mark Sanford, honestly, I feel bad for him, terrible in fact. I feel sorry for all those involved.

But, I feel worse for all Americans. We are all lost in twisted logic. Let me explain.

One of the most abominable sins in all of moral history is homosexuality. The broad American public at large however, is asked to except this at large. One of the hottest political subjects and arguments today is that of the gay rights, and gay marriages. Something that throughout the world’s history has been known to be horrid and twisted. Uch!

Unfortunately, Governor Sanford succumbed to a hearts desire. Is it wrong? Yes! Is it normal….. Well far more normal then two men living together.

Now if Americans can quietly digest the disgust and filth of public homosexuality, why can the governor not be understood and forgiven.

Or am I missing something? Is it that he was not caught with another man.

May G-D forgive us all.
If you are going by the old testament then you need this letter to Dr. Laura because these should be of equal importance.

Dear Dr. Laura:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.
1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.
Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging. Your adoring fan,
Jim
If you're talking about a Bible based marriage then you should see the short little clip :

YouTube - Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else

Old 07-02-2009, 02:30 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
What did he do wrong?

Let's see...he left the state (the country actually) for days without telling anyone.

He used taxpayers' money for at least one previous trip.

He also lied to/cheated on his wife - though I don't think that part is any of the public's concern, I'd still say it's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies