Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:04 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i meant john edwards, my bad.
John Edwards withdrew in disgrace. His political career is kaput. Mark Sanford is stubbornly clinging to public office after betraying the public trust.

Quote:
i bet most americans don't care because they know that their politicians are lying to them regularly now.

Americans who don't care elect sleezebags like Sanford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:05 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
I read and understand many of the reasons listed. I'm sorry for trying to draw a moral comparison from Homosexuality.

I was wondering- now that so many thin/feel that he is so wrong, is there any way to somehow forgive, and let live? No one tried at all to find any merits at all.

As humans, fellow Americans, can we each try to find just one merit to sustain a man who dug himself into terrible, deep trouble.

If he was your best friend, what would you say on his behalf?

I would say: Mark, seek forgiveness, come clean, and stop/ seek counseling.
You are right to appologize for drawing a comparison to homosexuality, and you can be forgiven for your "gut reaction" to homosexuality and homosexuals who have found love in their lives. I would very much like, however to tell you a story about a dear (now long deceased) friend of mine. Roy was an "older guy" when I met him born and raised as an Idaho farm boy, and spent much of his youth on the "working end" of a mule. Cultural and human difference and uncrital acceptance of such differences was not "bred into him". Roy was smart, however. . . I might even say "very smart". For a person with limited formal education, (or I dare say, for a person with massive formal education) he astounded those who knew him with his broad and deep knowledge of many many subjects, and his even broader knowledge of human psycology. Roy spent most of his life (when he was not working or fathering kids) with his nose buried in a book!
As a young adult he decided to leave Iowa to seek employment in one of the midwest industrial centers, where he came into contact with many types of people that he had not been accustomed to knowing. He was, as I stated earlier, a keen observer of human behavior, and his own behavior and thoughts were given the same scrutiny. Roy was also a "good person", good in the sense that he would not ever, for any reason, do anything that he believed was essentially wrong or unjust.
When Roy came to the city, he had his first personal experience with "African Americans", and his "gut feeling" was one of revulsion, but he recognized, within himself, the reasons for this feeling and the unjustness of what might have been his "gut reaction" to the dark skinned people he now worked with. Having recongnized that this reaction was the result of his early upbringing, and that it revealed things about his background, and nothing at all about the background of African Americans, he vowed to "work on" the gut feeling, as much as possible, but also to never reveal, in word or action, any negative thoughts or feelings that he had not yet erradicated! Roy told me this story, many years later, as an elderly man. . . . I had known him for many years, and never even suspected that he might hold any "prejudice". . . Roy is one of my hero's!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:28 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
John Edwards withdrew in disgrace. His political career is kaput. Mark Sanford is stubbornly clinging to public office after betraying the public trust.

or clinton.....

you said that sanford would define the republican party and i am saying that one person's behavior does not define the party that he / she is affiliated with. there are bad apples in both parties.

the good news is that if we find these bad apples we have the option of voting them out of office. that is the good part of our political system.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post

How 'bout the ones that hide money in their office freezers? How 'bout the ones that lie (purgury) on the stand and lose their law license?
So exactly what is the definition of the word "is"?
Easy to point fingers at others isn't it?
Why is it that we heard over and over again "it's his personal life and none of our business" during the Clinton years but now, well it's a whole different story? I see how it is, it isn't wrong UNTIL it's the other party right?
Something about glass houses and stones comes to mind...

Old 07-03-2009, 04:11 PM

316 posts, read 596,151 times
Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
You are right to appologize for drawing a comparison to homosexuality, and you can be forgiven for your "gut reaction" to homosexuality and homosexuals who have found love in their lives. I would very much like, however to tell you a story about a dear (now long deceased) friend of mine. Roy was an "older guy" when I met him born and raised as an Idaho farm boy, and spent much of his youth on the "working end" of a mule. Cultural and human difference and uncrital acceptance of such differences was not "bred into him". Roy was smart, however. . . I might even say "very smart". For a person with limited formal education, (or I dare say, for a person with massive formal education) he astounded those who knew him with his broad and deep knowledge of many many subjects, and his even broader knowledge of human psycology. Roy spent most of his life (when he was not working or fathering kids) with his nose buried in a book!
As a young adult he decided to leave Iowa to seek employment in one of the midwest industrial centers, where he came into contact with many types of people that he had not been accustomed to knowing. He was, as I stated earlier, a keen observer of human behavior, and his own behavior and thoughts were given the same scrutiny. Roy was also a "good person", good in the sense that he would not ever, for any reason, do anything that he believed was essentially wrong or unjust.
When Roy came to the city, he had his first personal experience with "African Americans", and his "gut feeling" was one of revulsion, but he recognized, within himself, the reasons for this feeling and the unjustness of what might have been his "gut reaction" to the dark skinned people he now worked with. Having recongnized that this reaction was the result of his early upbringing, and that it revealed things about his background, and nothing at all about the background of African Americans, he vowed to "work on" the gut feeling, as much as possible, but also to never reveal, in word or action, any negative thoughts or feelings that he had not yet erradicated! Roy told me this story, many years later, as an elderly man. . . . I had known him for many years, and never even suspected that he might hold any "prejudice". . . Roy is one of my hero's!
Thank you for your wise words. Well taken. I will try to work on myself.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:04 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times
We are all people and we all have our weaknesses. He gave up to his, and he will pay the price of leaving his wealth to his legal wife, and risk loosing his mistresss beacuse he has lost his power and wealth.
Men, as a woman, I can tell you, don't trust women who are attracted to you when you have any kind of power. If for any time you loose, they will abandon you.
The best woman is the one who was 100% behind you when you were nothing. She may not be as young and pretty as you want, but whe will be there beside you through anything.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:32 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
sanford's biggest mistake was not shutting up!

as jon stewart said:
"God killed Michael Jackson to save your ass and you gave another interview?!?" Stewart screamed. He proceeded to show clips of Sanford's constituents begging him to shut the hell up, and chastised the governor for acting like a 16-year-old pining after the girl who kisses with tongue.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:38 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
What did he do wrong?

For starters;

1. Absent without leave from his job. To hear him tell it over the last few months he (and a few other R governors) are the only ones singlehandedly preventing the collapse of the US. Under that scenario he is the equivalent of a soldier during wartime. AWOL during wartime is punishable by death.

2. Lied to his constiuents, about his absence from his job of protecting them.

3. Lied to his staff.

4. Lied to his wife.

5. Apparently misused public funds. You know the public funds that he is so overly protective of.

6. Lied about his lies when he got back.

7. Has proven himself untrustworthy.

8. Is a self-righteous POS, who stood on the floor of the house and moralized over President Clinton and his sexual escapades and insisted that President Clinton should resign.

I've only listed 8, but I'm sure you'll have some moral justification for these too.

golfgod
these are all thats needed

Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
or clinton.....

you said that sanford would define the republican party and i am saying that one person's behavior does not define the party that he / she is affiliated with. there are bad apples in both parties.

the good news is that if we find these bad apples we have the option of voting them out of office. that is the good part of our political system.

try telling that to the party u represent or the opposition, yes im talkin about city-data posters

Old 07-05-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
sanford's biggest mistake was not shutting up!

as jon stewart said:
"God killed Michael Jackson to save your ass and you gave another interview?!?" Stewart screamed. He proceeded to show clips of Sanford's constituents begging him to shut the hell up, and chastised the governor for acting like a 16-year-old pining after the girl who kisses with tongue.

who were these people wanting him to shut up? so in other words they knew of the secrets and wanted them to remain secret kinda what happened with foley until it got out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies