Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,829,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
"Lawmakers say that the trips are a good use of government funds because they allow members of Congress and their staff members to learn more about the world, inspect U.S. assets abroad and forge better working relationships with each other."
Of course they wanna keep taking family vacations to Paris and such paid for by us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think it was only Democrats traveling.

Also, isn't there more traveling during election years? Could that have had anything to do with it? As well as 2008, the summer when gas went over $4/gal and traveling costs went through the roof? Just seems like several things came together at the same time to create the situation, and that it wasn't necessarily a partisan thing at all.
They arent talking about traveling around America but them taking their spouse and others on over seas trips paid for by us and going to say a states dinner and calling it work ( for example)

Old 07-03-2009, 07:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,808,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
They arent talking about traveling around America but them taking their spouse and others on over seas trips paid for by us and going to say a states dinner and calling it work ( for example)
Thank you for pointing that out. I had missed it. Nonetheless, is part of the increase in costs attributable to the rise in gas prices last year? And also due to the falling value of the dollar overseas? It seems that a valid comparison would have to account for those factors.

I do think it's outrageous that a California senator would travel to Italy to lay a wreath at a memorial, and that American taxpayers are paying for it. I also think it's outrageous for state governors to be charging their states for trips abroad, whether it's to attend a leadership conference or to visit the troops. Both domestic and international travel should require stricter guidelines and standards to determine if they were government-related and necessary. If a conference call would have sufficed, then let the official pay the travel tab.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Thank you for pointing that out. I had missed it. Nonetheless, is part of the increase in costs attributable to the rise in gas prices last year? And also due to the falling value of the dollar overseas? It seems that a valid comparison would have to account for those factors.

I do think it's outrageous that a California senator would travel to Italy to lay a wreath at a memorial, and that American taxpayers are paying for it. I also think it's outrageous for state governors to be charging their states for trips abroad, whether it's to attend a leadership conference or to visit the troops. Both domestic and international travel should require stricter guidelines and standards to determine if they were government-related and necessary. If a conference call would have sufficed, then let the official pay the travel tab.
I believe they are saying its because they are just traveling more. Heck Pelosi just got back from going over seas now who paid for that trip us or her?

Why shouldnt they travel more we just keep electing them.

It is outrageous and its outrageous that so many isnt outraged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies