Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 04:08 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,868,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
They'll convert to coal and wood stoves in huge numbers and we'll have a brand new pollution problem. Cities will once again be black with soot.
Anthracite coal which is used almost exclusively for home heating and was the primary type of coal used on the East Coast at the turn of the century for heating purposes produces no soot. It's "smokless". As far as pollution you need to consider the big picture. I burn a product that is almost pure carbon so emission other than CO2 are lower. It's locally mined so pollution caused by shipping is minimal. I'm aslo using a highly efficient boiler and extracting neraly all the energy.

Someone using electric on the other hand is deriving half the energy they use from coal burned in a power plant. Due to lower efficiencies of the plant and inefficiencies in the grid they would be using much more total energy than myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 04:22 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Apparently this was part of the extra 300 pages that were slipped into the Cap and Tax bill at 3 am. If anyone wants to sell there house they will no longer be able to just list it with an agent. They must now, have a Big Brother, err...I mean, government official come in, inspect my house and tell me the necessary retrofitting that I must do at my expense in order to make it green, and then, upon Big Brother's, er.., I mean the governments approval, then I can list it. People, this is very, very scary and should not be a partisan issue.
We know what this will do to home sales. If you think they are in the dumpster now, "you ain't seen nothin' yet" (to quote Obama, who stole that line from the greatest Presedent in U.S. History, Ronald Wilson Reagan)

Here is an example from Ohio (In case you in other states haven't run ito this yet, you will soon):
The "Clean Air Act" (Federal) mandates that homes with outdated septic systems must upgrade those systems before a home can be sold. The cost to do this, to comply with current standards, is around $35,000. As you might imagine, home sales have not been good in Ohio since the implementation of this Federal (EPA) mandate. In fact, it has caused such a slump that one of my customers told me recently that the State has had to reduce the cost of such upgrade. I't might be $25,000 now.

Now imagine that you have to add to that cost, the cost of upgrading windows, insulation, etc. I don't think there are going to be too many homes sold. Might be cheaper to burn them down.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldercom View Post
I believe it, but I don't believe it. Where's a good source on this?
You must not listen to any news. I heard it both on the radio and on TV. Not only that, the entire country is now going to have to comply with California building codes (whether you live in an earquake prone area or not).

Old 07-03-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
sonrise, find the bill, click on it and provide us with the black and white proof sans blogosphere.

If you're going to put something out there, be prepared to back it up.
I can't believe tou people haven't heard of this yet. It's been all over the place. I don't read blogs; I heard it on radio and the TV new. In fact, I think one source I heard was when one Congressman was reading parts of it on the floor of the House. He was pointing these things out (of course he was a Republican, but he was reading the bill!)

Old 07-03-2009, 05:18 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,846,573 times
This all reminds me of some friends who moved to the USA from Cuba. When they asked Castro for permission to leave the country, their house was inspected and inventoried. When they raised the required money to buy their freedom, the house was again inventoried and if anything as small as an ashtray was missing, they had to buy one to replace it when they left. They were allowed only the clothes on their backs. My friend had given her mother her wedding ring so Castro would not have that in the original inventory. She got her ring back a couple of years ago when her mother was allowed to come to the US for a visit.

This may be what BO has in mind for US!!

Old 07-03-2009, 05:37 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,742,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Try this one.

CNSNews.com - Democrats’ Cap-and-Trade Bill Creates ‘Retrofit’ Policy for Homes and Businesses (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?Rsrcid=50365 - broken link)
I love this wording:

"In fact, individual homeowners are even allowed to retrofit buildings themselves. The bill gives specific protection to individual owners’ rights to choose who inspects and retrofits their property.

Nothing in this section is intended to deny the right of a building owner to choose the specific providers of retrofit services to engage for a retrofit project in that owner’s building.”

Yay! I can CHOOSE who retrofits my house?! Thank god Commie-bama is thinking of my owner rights. I do see an opportunity to start a black market home sales business though. How much time would I have to spend in jail for selling a house with single pane windows?

I'm also sure there is a reqirement somewhere in there to retrofit every building and elevator to play an endless loop of the "Obama's gonna save us" song too.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

I'm also sure there is a reqirement somewhere in there to retrofit every building and elevator to play an endless loop of the "Obama's gonna save us" song too.
I suggest this song..at least it has a catchy tune

YouTube - BOB&TOM TV: "Obama Man" by Greg Morton

Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,210,344 times
So, if I want to sell my house I have to spend thousands of dollars to make it green?

Don't be silly. Of course you won't have to make your home green. You can just give it to Oboy and he'll take care of it for you. It'd be like planting an ACORN for O (pronounced nothin')

Old 07-03-2009, 10:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,989,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Apparently this was part of the extra 300 pages that were slipped into the Cap and Tax bill at 3 am. If anyone wants to sell there house they will no longer be able to just list it with an agent. They must now, have a Big Brother, err...I mean, government official come in, inspect my house and tell me the necessary retrofitting that I must do at my expense in order to make it green, and then, upon Big Brother's, er.., I mean the governments approval, then I can list it. People, this is very, very scary and should not be a partisan issue.

How silly. The simple answer to all this sturm and drang coupled with this whole irrational "discussion" is no.
Take the time to read the 300 pages and get back to us when you have a handle on it there, Chicken Little.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,182,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
We know what this will do to home sales. If you think they are in the dumpster now, "you ain't seen nothin' yet" (to quote Obama, who stole that line from the greatest Presedent in U.S. History, Ronald Wilson Reagan)

Here is an example from Ohio (In case you in other states haven't run ito this yet, you will soon):
The "Clean Air Act" (Federal) mandates that homes with outdated septic systems must upgrade those systems before a home can be sold. The cost to do this, to comply with current standards, is around $35,000. As you might imagine, home sales have not been good in Ohio since the implementation of this Federal (EPA) mandate. In fact, it has caused such a slump that one of my customers told me recently that the State has had to reduce the cost of such upgrade. I't might be $25,000 now.

Now imagine that you have to add to that cost, the cost of upgrading windows, insulation, etc. I don't think there are going to be too many homes sold. Might be cheaper to burn them down.
Just what my wife suggested she would do when they are shipping her to the rest home --- burn the damned thing down. She won't want to do all the required upgrading when it will cost more than we paid for it in the 80s. I wish I could be around that day to watch the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies