Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:52 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Maybe no straight person resisted arrest or was out of line.
The cops could have just tazed the gay person; instead, they fractured his skull.

The raid had nothing to do with it being a gay bar, but I think there's a good chance the actions during the arrests did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
I never ignored that fact. My point of contention was that no straight person ended up in the hospital with severe head injuries.
I never said you did, but there were a few others who did.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:09 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Let's all hope that he fully recovers....what a travesty during Stonewall's anniversary and what a coincidence of timing?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:27 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Multicultural training?
How about talking with gay and lesbian individuals on what it's like to be gay in TX of all places and how it effects them?
I hope they don't show some video. These police officers need to meet people and see that their actions do indeed have consequences on people's lives.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 AM

Fort Worth police suspend operations with TABC | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1467617.html - broken link)

Quote:
Also Thursday, state Rep. Lon Burnam and state Sen. Wendy Davis, both Fort Worth Democrats, released a copy of a letter they have sent to TABC officials seeking details about the actions of the two agents who participated in the operation. The letter for the first time names the agents — Jason Chapman and Christopher Aller.
So now a state rep and state senator are involved.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Mayor asks for federal review of Rainbow Lounge incident | Crime and Safety | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/crime_courts/story/1468121.html - broken link)

The federal government has now been asked to investigate as well.

Quote:
Fort Worth Mayor Mike Moncrief wants federal prosecutors to independently review the investigations now under way regarding an incident at a gay bar near downtown where one customer was injured and six others were arrested.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 07-03-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 01:10 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think there should always be an investigation when an arrest leads to an injury that puts someone in the hospital.

I'll agree to that.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Turns out there were actually three people injured.
Chad Gibson, a 26-year-old computer technician from Euless, about 15 miles northeast of Fort Worth, suffered a concussion, a hairline fracture to his skull and internal bleeding after officers slammed his head into a wall and then into the floor, witnesses and family members said. Mr. Gibson was still hospitalized on Friday evening as doctors monitored a blood clot in his brain, his mother, Karen Carter, said.

Another patron suffered broken ribs, and a third had a broken thumb, said Todd Camp, the founder and artistic director of Q. Cinema, a gay film festival in Fort Worth. Mr. Camp, a former journalist, said he was celebrating his 43rd birthday in the bar when the police arrived at 1:05 a.m.
And now, the Police Chief is saying that the bar patrons didn't make sexual advances toward the cops after all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/us...as.html?ref=us

Old 07-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Turns out there were actually three people injured.
Chad Gibson, a 26-year-old computer technician from Euless, about 15 miles northeast of Fort Worth, suffered a concussion, a hairline fracture to his skull and internal bleeding after officers slammed his head into a wall and then into the floor, witnesses and family members said. Mr. Gibson was still hospitalized on Friday evening as doctors monitored a blood clot in his brain, his mother, Karen Carter, said.

Another patron suffered broken ribs, and a third had a broken thumb, said Todd Camp, the founder and artistic director of Q. Cinema, a gay film festival in Fort Worth. Mr. Camp, a former journalist, said he was celebrating his 43rd birthday in the bar when the police arrived at 1:05 a.m.
And now, the Police Chief is saying that the bar patrons didn't make sexual advances toward the cops after all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/us...as.html?ref=us
I'm wondering why the story of the guy with "broken ribs" didn't come out earlier. A thumb is a thumb, but ribs?

It'll be interesting to see where this investigation goes.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:14 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
I'm all for waiting for the investigation outcome. But the Bar owner sounded to me very believable. Plus these numerous serious injuries. It doesnt look good. Sounds like a case of redneck policeman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies