Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:24 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times

Advertisements

Here's a story about health insurance companies dumping clients when they have to pay anything...

It also talks about how they are creating a media campaign filled with lies in order to defeat current efforts at health care reform.

Health insurance companies are filled with creeps.

Ex-executive accuses insurance giant of 'purging' customers - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I would imagine you are for Obama's big health reform bill that will just make insurance cheap ?

Old 07-02-2009, 08:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
They had almost 20 years to reform themselves.
They didn't do it.
I'm glad the lies are being exposed.
I hope people listen.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:50 PM

221 posts, read 219,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would imagine you are for Obama's big health reform bill that will just make insurance cheap ?
I can se over the years how the insrance premiums have gone up and up and how the bonuses of the company ceo's have gone up and up and how the countrys health structure has gone down and down. Tell me how any kind of uhc could be worse for the millions od underinsured or uninsured in America. We all know that insurance companys do everything they can to avoid paying for treatment, it is only the naive that thinks our health companys are there for us and not their huge profits.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:56 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
Okay Tex, this article points out that the health insurance companies are fabricating complete lies in order to mislead the public about the consequences of national health care. Obviously they know it's a better system or they wouldn't be afraid to compete! Keep in mind that the money that they are using to create these lies should be getting used for health care!

At the same time, they are "purging" their roles of any clients who actually file a claim! That means that even if you have insurance right now, the minute you get sick they will drop you!

And this is better because?

But to answer your question more directly, yes, I am for a government option for health care that is both cheaper and better. And anything is better than a system that you pay into for years, only to be "purged" when you get sick!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
What good is insurance, expensive or cheap, if it they don't come through if you need them. Many health insurance companies are white collar scammers.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Okay Tex, this article points out that the health insurance companies are fabricating complete lies in order to mislead the public about the consequences of national health care. Obviously they know it's a better system or they wouldn't be afraid to compete! Keep in mind that the money that they are using to create these lies should be getting used for health care!

At the same time, they are "purging" their roles of any clients who actually file a claim! That means that even if you have insurance right now, the minute you get sick they will drop you!

But to answer your question more directly, yes, I am for a government option for health care that is both cheaper and better. And anything is better than a system that you pay into for years, only to be "purged" when you get sick!

Well that is not exactly what it says. It says one former employee is accusing the industry of these things.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Don't make insurance cheap..you have not fixed the problem.

Get rid of insurance for all but hospitalization and catostraphic care.
Prices will come down..competition will do it naturally. There's plenty of doctors out there who would gladly bypass any and all insurance and deal directly with patients as it lowers their cost and they get their money immediately.
Have the government investigate why drugs are sky high in cost. Make buying a generic drug the patient's choice.
Do something with malpractice. The threat of malpractice have doctors scrambling ordering every test on earth for someone because if they don't that patient might sue.

Now, you can have a plan where everyone can get true healthcare.

Years ago you only had insurance for hospitalization. The doctor charged reasonable fees and prescriptions didn't cost an arm and leg.

Do you think the government is going to process all these new insurance forms under Obama's plan ? NO. They will outsource it to the very insurance companies you dispise. Costs will not go down.
There will be a subsidy here that we as taxpayers will get hit with. I suspect there will be plenty of new paperwork as well to go along with this plan.

No, I don't think Obama's plan is reform. I think it's a cheap bandaid to soothe the crying masses.

edit: For the record, I'm not against health reform. I think this country needs it. I just don't believe the current proposal will work.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Too many people die because they don't have health insurance. Here is the story of a young man from my community who died at 27 because he had no health insurance.

Michael Troy Wieser memorial

Old 07-02-2009, 09:06 PM

221 posts, read 219,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post

You bring up many interesting points and i agree with what you say.
Some things i have noticed since becoming involved and actually looking into this health debate are, why in one breath do some posters on here say that a uhc would not work or would give a worse service than todays system and in the next breath say that having a uhc would mean the insurance companies not being able to compete with a uhc and becoming extinct. Both can not be true.
Why is their such fierce argument to keep a health structure that blatantly refuses treatment to many and completely fails millions of Americans?
Are these people insane? They seem to be the type that would stay with a bank even if it was swindling them out of their money just because they are afraid of change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies