Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will Ditz's resignation affect the Republican Party?
It will help the party 25 18.66%
It will hurt the party 29 21.64%
It will neither help nor hurt the party 80 59.70%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:58 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,035 times

Advertisements

she is very smart...may be she will join the 'Enron Club'

Old 07-04-2009, 08:00 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Reagan did not quit as CA governor in 1976. California's governor in 1976 was Edmund G. (Jerry) Brown Jr. who was elected in 1974. Reagan chose not to run in 1974 either because he was finished being governor or because he didn't want to risk his national chances running in what was one of the worst years for GOP candidates.
Correct. Reagan finished his 2 terms as gov of CA, then Brown was elected as a reaction to his 8 years of conservative rule. He could not run again as gov. and did not try for a senate or house seat, having his eyes on the presidency. He failed in his bid in 76, but swept it in 80. A significant amount of luck (disastrous economy, inflation, and the clinker, the Iran-hostage crisis) made Carter look terrible, and Reagan good by comparison.

Like him or not, Reagan was not a quitter. And he could put together sentences that made some sense - quite a good speaker, in fact. Unlike Ms Palin, who doesn't seem to be able to put together a single coherent sentence on her own. Comparing Palin's "strategy" to Reagan's brings up no salient comparison points.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:04 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Or someone who truly cares about the state she/he represent and how much is costs the state to defend ridiculous charges.
She gave several reasons for quitting. The first she tossed out was this odd and specious claim:
And so as I thought about this announcement that I wouldn't run for re-election and what it means for Alaska, I thought about how much fun some governors have as lame ducks... travel around the state, to the Lower 48 (maybe), overseas on international trade - as so many politicians do. And then I thought - that's what's wrong - many just accept that lame duck status, hit the road, draw the paycheck, and "milk it". I'm not putting Alaska through that - I promised efficiencies and effectiveness! ? That's not how I am wired. I am not wired to operate under the same old "politics as usual." I promised that four years ago - and I meant it.
She also said her "decision was fortified" by this; I dont know what the connection is here either since it seems to contradict the idea of quitting:
My decision was also fortified during this most recent trip to Kosovo and Landstuhl, to visit our wounded soldiers overseas, those who sacrifice themselves in war for OUR freedom and security... we can ALL learn from our selfless Troops... they're bold, they don't give up, they take a stand and know that LIFE is short so they choose to NOT waste time. They choose to be productive and to serve something greater than SELF... and to build up their families, their states, our country. These Troops and their important missions - those are truly the worthy causes in this world and should be the public priority with time and resources and NOT this local / superficial wasteful political bloodsport.

May we ALL learn from them!
And speaking of "this local / superficial wasteful political bloodsport," she also said "the State has wasted THOUSANDS of hours of YOUR time and shelled out some two million of YOUR dollars to respond to 'opposition research' - that's money NOT going to fund teachers or troopers - or safer roads." She neglects to mention that she made a major show of refusing federal funds that would have helped her state's education situation ("The biggest single chunk of money that Palin is turning down is about $170 million for education, including money that would go for programs to help economically disadvantaged and special needs students") -- and that she *did* accept federal funds that would stimulate road building and construction. She also neglects to mention that concerning many of the lawsuits she's had to contend with, "the majority of expenses borne by the state, involving so-called 'ethics complaints' involving Palin, have resulted from a complaint Palin had filed against herself, and from complaints that resulted in negotiated settlements adverse to the governor's claim that she is a crusader for ethics reform."

Old 07-04-2009, 08:06 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
"She is running a State compared to a Senator of Illinois."
Now she's just running..She's proven that she's faster than Obama at QUITTING.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:08 AM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I think and hope that she is bowing out of politics and the public spotlight. The Republicans don't need the agony; developmentally disabled folks certainly don't need her 20th Century prejudices and limiting descriptions and martydom! Even the right wing branch of the Prostestant movement will be better off without her hypocricy and looney ideas.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:10 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Or someone who truly cares about the state she/he represent and how much is costs the state to defend ridiculous charges.
Spin..You don't QUIT on those that voted you in if you're innocent of said charges. She truly wants to make money and be a celebrity. She ammassed no real record as a public servant and QUIT as soon as the going got tough.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:13 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Anyone else notice how her whole speech was peppered with the royal We? Queen Sarah? Not once did she say "I" decided - it was all "we" this and that.

Does she suffer from split personality syndrome? Or thinks she is the queen?

Old 07-04-2009, 08:13 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
AC 360 commentators are saying that Palin quit in part to stave off an indictment for some of the crimes she's under investigation for.

Sounds like a potential republican presidential candidate to me!
When did Palin announce she is running to be president? Sounds to me like your making things up

Old 07-04-2009, 08:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Spin..You don't QUIT on those that voted you in if you're innocent of said charges. She truly wants to make money and be a celebrity. She ammassed no real record as a public servant and QUIT as soon as the going got tough.
And couldnt get her office organized enough to manage the problems she was facing, which were of her own doing in the first place.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:19 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I'm laughing ... just heard the Queen of the Tinfoil Crown Society equate her quitting to dribbling through a full court press ... wow ... rule number one for full court presses ... NEVER EVER DRIBBLE! You pass through a press ... if done well, the offense gets an easy shot because passing is quicker than dribbling and the pressing defense can't keep up. The point of a full court press is to get the offensive player to dribble to one side of the court or another to box them in ... when we practice, if anyone tries to dribble through a press ... major windsprints as a result. Obviously not so much for Sarah Baracuda ... I feel sorry for her basketball coach, he/she is probably shaking their head in embarassment.

Nice try Sarah, I'd have given anything to guard you in high school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies