Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:32 PM

452 posts, read 1,132,248 times

Advertisements

Gun Bill Gets Shot Down by Panel
Jan. 31, 2006

HB 1572, which would have allowed handguns on college campuses, died in subcommittee.

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Del. Dave Nutter, R-Christiansburg, would not comment Monday because he was not part of the subcommittee that discussed the bill.

Most universities in Virginia require students and employees, other than police, to check their guns with police or campus security upon entering campus. The legislation was designed to prohibit public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit ... from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

The legislation allowed for exceptions for participants in athletic events, storage of guns in residence halls and military training programs.

Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus.

In June, Tech's governing board approved a violence prevention policy reiterating its ban on students or employees carrying guns and prohibiting visitors from bringing them into campus facilities.

Last edited by chloedog; 04-17-2007 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 12:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I am sending a kid off to college this year.
He'll just have to make it without packing heat.
There are enough random, sick shoot-outs at schools without armed, paranoid students accidentally killing classmates and/or professors.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I am sending a kid off to college this year.
He'll just have to make it without packing heat.
There are enough random, sick shoot-outs at schools without armed, paranoid students accidentally killing classmates and/or professors.
Nice!
You defend the fact that your child will be left defenseless.
Tell me please...What is wrong with an individual who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun from carrying it on a college campus. I would like you to find any data that shows a licensed concealed carrying gun owner who has committed a crime while using a firearm.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
Nice!
You defend the fact that your child will be left defenseless.
Tell me please...What is wrong with an individual who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun from carrying it on a college campus. I would like you to find any data that shows a licensed concealed carrying gun owner who has committed a crime while using a firearm.
Guns do not *create* intent to kill. But they sure do make it easier.

I do not want to take away everybody's weapons. Other than trophy hunting and "canned" hunts, I have no issues whatsovever with using guns for hunting.

I do think we have an awfully violent society, and to me, a fully armed violent society is a step backwards.

There are places where concealed carry weapons are justified.
I am unconvinced that a college campus is one of them.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:10 PM

Your right "Guns do not *create* intent to kill"...The person holding the gun creates the intent to kill.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:39 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Guns do not *create* intent to kill. But they sure do make it easier.

I do not want to take away everybody's weapons. Other than trophy hunting and "canned" hunts, I have no issues whatsovever with using guns for hunting.

I do think we have an awfully violent society, and to me, a fully armed violent society is a step backwards.

There are places where concealed carry weapons are justified.
I am unconvinced that a college campus is one of them.
Can you please define trophy or canned hunt to me. would it be on fenced in land, with over 150 miles of land surrounded by 10 feet of fence. Having 3 or 4 animals in this area is still a hard hunt to do. I would say I have trophy hunted if you consider letting the smaller animals walk away to take a older larger animal into my sights. The larger the animal the more the meat.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:10 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times
I agree that a college or university should not be a place where concealed weapons are needed. We're not talking about mature adults, here. We're talking about kids. And yes, you're still a kid at 21.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:17 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,809 times
I have a permit in Fla to carry and believe that anyone (that fits the legal criteria) who wants to learn how to use a gun responsibly should be allowed to carry and use if necessary.

BUT.......... with all of the drinking and partying and carrying on on college campuses I don't think there should be any guns anywhere near these not-yet-mature people with the obvious exception of the security force.

A teacher or administrator who carries will always be prone to some "wacko" student removing the gun from the teacher's holster either as a joke or worse, to commit a violent threat and/or murder. Gun retention is always the last thing a civilian gun owner thinks about when carrying.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:42 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,017 times
LeavingFla...Well, obviously from the VT incident, even though concealed weapons "should" not be needed at a college campus, they bloody well are! Can't think of too many "accidental" college shootings that have happened because of conceal/carry, (and you know many carry--legal or not)..but there sure are a he** of a lot of intentional shootings going on! If I had a college age kid right now, I'd be buying him or her a nice little Saturday night special to hop on the bus with. I'm sick of watching kids and others get gunned down, defenseless. And just because there's drinking and partying going on at college campuses doesn't mean the majority of the student body would be pullin' heat every time someone looked crosswise at their girlfriend; as a hell-raiser in college, I can attest that even totally effed up, a lot of 20-somethings watched the scene, protected their friends, and acted more sensibly than many adults I know. There's a huge gun-culture here in Alaska, and most kids know more about guns, have seen first-hand the damage they do, and are more responsible with them than some gansta wanna-be (of any age) in downtown (pick your place). We need to educate our kids and ourselves about responsible self-defense tactics...NOW!

Old 04-17-2007, 03:54 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times
You know why there haven't been many accidental shootings at colleges? Because you can't bring guns to school! You're advocating changing a policy, because of a horrible event. Would that policy change have affected this event? No one knows. You can't arbitrarily assume it would have.

I'm sure the culture in Alaska is nothing like it is in Florida. The idea that kids could legally bring guns to school, in Florida, is downright frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies