Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:08 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Claiming to be "pro-whatever" automatically puts you at odds with anyone who has a different POV. And since the only reason AT ALL to lable yourself is to make folks think you want to eliminate the opposition, it's kind of hard for the opposition to have much respect for them.

Notice that this only works one way since the opposite of all those things, with the exception of guns, pretty much guarentees you won't have any morality laws forced upon you and still allows for respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 05:56 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I can name a left winger that I do respect. Ralph Nader. Honest with integrity even if his views were extreme and probably not in the best interests of the country. But the guy cared about people and had convictions and wasn't a phoney charlatan like Obama or Gore, a self absorbed hypocrite like the Clintons who openly sought power and wealth.
A right winger I respect? Huckabee seems genuine and likable although I don't know if he really is a right winger. Limbaugh is a right winger. Huckabee is too mainstream. I guess he's just a conservative.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Wow, that's really cynical; sad commentary on our political system. I think JC Watts and Jim DeMint and Kenneth Blackwell have done a good job of staying true to these beliefs and not being corrupted by power.

Juxtapose these to the likes of Maxine Waters, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Barry Obama, Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, Charles Schumer, and several hundred other Democrats in congress getting rich off the backs of the hard-working people who are far too moral and ethical to support any of the liberal causes that have moved this country to the brink of disaster, and one begins to understand why an honest person could never vote for a Democrat.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I can name a left winger that I do respect. Ralph Nader. Honest with integrity even if his views were extreme and probably not in the best interests of the country. But the guy cared about people and had convictions and wasn't a phoney charlatan like Obama or Gore, a self absorbed hypocrite like the Clintons who openly sought power and wealth.
A right winger I respect? Huckabee seems genuine and likable although I don't know if he really is a right winger. Limbaugh is a right winger. Huckabee is too mainstream. I guess he's just a conservative.
I was with you until you got to Limbaugh. It's irrelevant whether he's the right-winger you, obviously, deride him to be since he's never held public office, nor would he ever want to. He has the sincerity of his convictions which is far more than one could ever say about any Democrat, much less any Democratic politician holding office these days. And, yes, there are plenty of Republicans that are just as mendacious, just not nearly as many of them, nor are any of them likely to lie to you to your face while they stick it to you.

Nader is an honorable man, as you say, and therefore unlikely to ever hold the interest of those who take the "What's in it for me if I vote for you" type of Democrat that won Barry the election last Fall. Huckabee is far too intelligent to hold their interest for long. It's beyond me how he could have ever gotten the troglodytes in Arkansas to vote for him.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
And why should any major religion dictate public policy? Whether it be that women must cover themselves in public or homosexuals should not be allowed to wed? It is the same thing - legislating religion. I don't like it and the founding fathers didn't like it either.
So no, this is not about being 'pc'. I recognize zealots for what they are - nutjobs that want to control everyone elses lives because there version of god told them to. Christian or muslim it is all the same to me. Equally repellant.
Excellent point! "Pro Traditional Family" by banning homosexual marriage is legislating based on religion, the same way making a woman cover up is legislating based on religion. Easy solution: keep your religion to yourself!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:51 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Quote:
Name me one public figure, political or otherwise that is pro-life, pro-gun, self professed born again Christian, pro traditional marriage that you respect. Thanks
Mike Huckabee but I'm questioning that after watching him on Red Eye last night. What a terrible show. I don't understand why he would even appear on it as a guest. By the way, I respect Huckabee but I wouldn't vote for him as President.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
And why should any major religion dictate public policy? Whether it be that women must cover themselves in public or homosexuals should not be allowed to wed? It is the same thing - legislating religion. I don't like it and the founding fathers didn't like it either.
So no, this is not about being 'pc'. I recognize zealots for what they are - nutjobs that want to control everyone elses lives because there version of god told them to. Christian or muslim it is all the same to me. Equally repellant.
No religion is dictating policy; that would be a Theocracy. Individual people are exercising their right to vote and campaigning for candidates that agree with their beliefs; it's a basic right for all Americans, religious or secular.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
No religion is dictating policy; that would be a Theocracy. Individual people are exercising their right to vote and campaigning for candidates that agree with their beliefs; it's a basic right for all Americans, religious or secular.

Sorry - but bible based policy is a theocracy in the making, populist or not.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Mel Gibson

Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,647 times
Quote:
Sorry - but bible based policy is a theocracy in the making, populist or not.
Very true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies