Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,380,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
In another few years there will be so many jobs that you will be able to pretty much write your own ticket.
People out of work since last year can't wait a few years.
What do these people do..live under a bridge in a cardboard box and wait ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,170,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
Why can't we go back to a sensible economy when things were what they cost and thats it?
You mean like back in the 1940s when a cup of coffee cost a nickel and gasoline was $ 0.10 a gallon? What do you mean "when things were what they cost?"

Old 07-05-2009, 08:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,609,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
However, illegal immigrants aren't part of the problem.
Sure they are. They are the group with the runaway reproduction, the least coverage of private health insurance, their own government doesn't want them and encourages them to leave their country but some of you only want to blame Americans.

Blame Americans for everything. It's all our fault that illegals can find $400-$600 a month to send out of the country but can't manage to come up with health insurance for their many children.

The jobs offered to illegals are closed to Americans. When was the last time you saw a job posting for lettuce picker? They're closed because the greedy employer has no intention of paying legal wages or providing standard job benefits.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:49 AM

I think we've already entered a depression. It will be a while though before anyone official admits it.
It took the government over a year to admit recession.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:50 AM

416 posts, read 406,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You mean like back in the 1940s when a cup of coffee cost a nickel and gasoline was $ 0.10 a gallon? What do you mean "when things were what they cost?"
When people saw something for a $1 and paid a $1 instead of price haggling.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 AM

7,914 posts, read 9,126,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
In another few years there will be so many jobs that you will be able to pretty much write your own ticket. Not only are we going to recover economically but in the next few years the baby boomers are going to start heading for the exits. We are not hiring right now where I work (we are not firing either) but I am in a team with 15 people and of those 15, 3 of them are planning to retire before this year ends. Eventually they will have to be replaced.
Lets hope so, but there is no proof that it will be. The stimulus plan is just that,a plan, a hypothesis. It is not a guarantee.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:27 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,311,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think we've already entered a depression. It will be a while though before anyone official admits it.
It took the government over a year to admit recession.
My father who lived through the first depression was so frightened by what he saw that, for the remainder of his life which spanned some 50 years in Texas after the Depression ended, he never dared own anything that had to be purchased with credit. The economy is as bad as I have ever seen it in my sixty years of life but if this weakening economy is frightening Americans already, I suspect a real Depression will be a real house of horror for many.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
.. he never dared own anything that had to be purchased with credit.
That is happening today. People are paying down their debt as fast as they can. They are thinking twice and three times about buying something on credit. They are building up some savings for a rainy day.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:42 AM

50,184 posts, read 46,887,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You have a point. The economy has been horrible for years. And the seeds were laid even earlier than that.

However, illegal immigrants aren't part of the problem. They are hard-working, productive people, and they come here for jobs. When they can't find jobs, they don't come. Further, when here they create demand, just as any other resident of our country. And they don't burden our social safety nets the way a citizen does. So economically, they are a net benefit.

I realize that scape-goating is a long-cherished human trait, but that doesn't make it any more intelligent or any less disgusting when it's done.
You need to live in a border state. If you drive, have kids in public school,been near a WIC facility, in an ER or have worked in the construction or other industries you would know they are a HUGE problem. Maybe not where you live but they are anywhere near the border.

Illegal Aliens aren't the problem but they are a large part of the problem. I know many friends who work in construction or roofing, lawn care and tree trimming that have direct competition from those here Illegally. If you have to compete with them you may change your tune.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:46 AM

I do live in a border state and you really cannot compete with them. The salaries they accept are nowhere near what an American can live on.

It's easier for an employer to just pay the fine when they get caught. The employer is still ahead of the game and can go right back to using them til they get caught again and pay another fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies