Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:50 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
In another few years there will be so many jobs that you will be able to pretty much write your own ticket. Not only are we going to recover economically but in the next few years the baby boomers are going to start heading for the exits. We are not hiring right now where I work (we are not firing either) but I am in a team with 15 people and of those 15, 3 of them are planning to retire before this year ends. Eventually they will have to be replaced.
Here's the problem with your rationale: Baby boomer's no longer have equity in their homes and their retirement savings have been decimated. I'd think twice before proclaiming a mass run on the exits by our aging citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 09:55 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Apparently...as you weren't able to raise any rebuttal but to ask this silly question.
Your statement is so blatently false, I had to question the seriousness of the illogical and nonfactual comment.

One example

Unions: More white workers being hired following raid - News - The Columbus Telegram - Columbus, Nebraska's Community Newspaper (http://www.columbustelegram.com/articles/2006/12/20/news/news3raid.txt - broken link)

Your position is based on either misinformation or lies. You choose.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
And they don't burden our social safety nets the way a citizen does. So economically, they are a net benefit.
Really? I hear on the news that hospitals are forced to close by the hundreds because their ER's are overwhelmed by the sheer number of illegals coming in for free treatment--just one example among many.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is happening today. People are paying down their debt as fast as they can. They are thinking twice and three times about buying something on credit. They are building up some savings for a rainy day.
Yes, but the difference is that during the real depression there was no money to save. My point was that it took living during a real depression to scare people in the 1930s where now they're frightened by what I perceive as only a weakening economy.

And regarding saving, I have always recommended and practiced it. However, with the value of the dollar falling like a rock I have put my savings into a home and land which can provide shelter, food and something I can trade if things really get bad. And too, Washington has yet to learn how to "print" land but they support immigration policies that can do nothing but increase the demand for it.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:32 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Here's the problem with your rationale: Baby boomer's no longer have equity in their homes and their retirement savings have been decimated. I'd think twice before proclaiming a mass run on the exits by our aging citizens.
I may add, if this lunatic Congress, actually removes all the remaining home equities by passing the C&T Bill requiring homes to be brought up to a national environmental building code before they are sold, boomers may have to stay in the workforce until they die.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:46 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The jobs offered to illegals are closed to Americans. When was the last time you saw a job posting for lettuce picker?
Well, suppose you went to a place where lettuce was grown, and that you actually went at the time when lettuce was ready to be picked -- say, the central valley of California in August or April. You would find plenty of ads and plenty of opportunity for work. For a while. Then, once all the lettuce was done, you'd need to move on. Since lettuce is harvested at other times in other places, you could move on and pick more lettuce, or if the time was right, you could go somewhere that grapes or cherries or strawberries were grown and pick those for a while instead. No one will insist that you be foreign-born to undertake this work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They're closed because the greedy employer has no intention of paying legal wages or providing standard job benefits.
Maybe you should make a donation to the United Farm Workers. They are one of the best at exposing and ending such abuses and providing assistance to those who are the victims of them.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I think we've already entered a depression. It will be a while though before anyone official admits it. It took the government over a year to admit recession.
Recessions are dated by the National Bureau of Economic Research, which is a private entity. The government has no role at all in defining recessions.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Really? I hear on the news that hospitals are forced to close by the hundreds because their ER's are overwhelmed by the sheer number of illegals coming in for free treatment--just one example among many.
I'm all for immigration reform and a guest worker program, but as someone who once lived in Southern AZ, I can say for certain that the above post is true. Southern AZ only has one Trauma ER left to serve millions of people in the cities of Tucson, Green Valley, Nogales, Yuma, Ajo, Douglas, etc... Every other Trauma Center in the Southern half of the state had to close due to funding issues over caring for illegals.

What should also be mentioned here is that when the border patrol takes an illegal to the ER, they don't sign them in or keep them in custody. They release them at the ER door, so that the Border Patrol can avoid paying for their care. That's been their policy for years.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
That is happening today. People are paying down their debt as fast as they can. They are thinking twice and three times about buying something on credit. They are building up some savings for a rainy day.
It IS a rainy day. This is what people should have been saving for all along, but with real median wages declining over much of Bush's term, they were not able to do so. Nonetheless, trying to scrimp and save now is a counter-productive strategy, as it only further undercuts consumer demand, and convinces employers to lay off even more people. Unless forced to cut back by job loss or other setbacks, people should be trying to spend more, not save more.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Your statement is so blatently false, I had to question the seriousness of the illogical and nonfactual comment.
No, it's entirely true. In upscale ranges, employers ask for visas and press for more to be created because they cannot recruit the skills they need from domestically available labor pools. In downscale ranges, even at union plants where wages are set by contract, there will be enough native-born applicants to fill only a fraction of the demand.

Quote:
One example
Unions: More white workers being hired following raid - News - The Columbus Telegram - Columbus, Nebraska's Community Newspaper (http://www.columbustelegram.com/articles/2006/12/20/news/news3raid.txt - broken link)
One example isn't enough, and that example reports a drop from 90% to 40% Hispanic among all of 75 applicants hired at one plant in the immediate aftermath of a highly publicized ICE raid.

(State Sen. Ray) Aguilar said he wouldn't be surprised if efforts by Swift attract nonimmigrant workers to meatpacking jobs in the short term, but fail to keep them in the plants.

Quote:
Your position is based on either misinformation or lies. You choose.
No, it is based on the facts of the matter. Some don't bother to learn the facts, and some just prefer myth and legend to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies