Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think you have to right to control others actions?
Yes 19 17.59%
No 89 82.41%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:00 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post

I was out with a friend the other day downtown to see the fireworks...he was casting judgment on people left and right....saw a guy with dredlocks...he assumed he was a drug addict. He say a guy that to him looked gay...he started going off about that. He saw an overweight person and went off on that...the odd thing is the other people we where with joined him...I stopped and asked what made him so rightous that he could cast judgments like that. I pointed out all his flaws...bad teeth, dirty clothes, no job, got his Girlfriend pregnant and doesnt help support his child...
Sounds like he's living in a glass house with paper-thin glass...

As someone pointed out above, it is human nature unfortunately. I've always tried to remember the old 'cast the first stone' thing; even if I do have an opinion like that, I keep it to myself. Spouting it off does nobody any good. But some people blissfully go about ripping others to shreds. I think it makes them feel better about themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 02:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Fractured, your friend(s) sounds highly insecure. (I suppose that was a judgment on my part.)

You're going to hear plenty of opinions on CD (and I agree that some of them can be hair-raising) because this is a message board.
This forum, in particular, is for debate. People do back up their debate with facts if they can.
However, a lot of people use the internet to blow off steam and/or provoke.

I agree with what Omaha Rocks says about judgment. Edited to add: What ChrisC says too about casting the first stone.
Judgment is made every day; sometimes it is idle opinion, sometimes it is an important, weighed decision.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:07 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Human nature.

Yep.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I always say that humans have a natural reaction to thoinks much like animals. If you are walking theru the woods and see something that looks like a wolf'has teeth like a wolf then your nastural instinct is to decided it probably a wolf and aviod it. The same goes for looking at people and judging.If they want to look like a thug people are going to think they are a thug.Applies to other looks.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I believe that if a person voluntarily sets himself up as a person in a position of authority, and does not live up to the trust that the public places in him, I have a right to judge his performance. For everybody else, I do not have a right to judge them. I try to live by that.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:26 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
First - OmahaRocks answer rocks

Second -
Quote:
I stopped and asked what made him so rightous that he could cast judgments like that. I pointed out all his flaws...bad teeth, dirty clothes, no job, got his Girlfriend pregnant and doesnt help support his child...and I did the same to the whole group...

Sorry, i dont see it right to judge anyone other than me.
Do you see the irony here?

Old 07-05-2009, 03:53 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
I have no agenda, I am just curious to know why people are so carefree to judge a stranger. Obviously if someone is violent then yes it is fair to judge that action as wrong. But I see people judging on this forum all the time...with topics like abortion, Marijuana, homosexuality and many more. These actions only affect the persons doing them.
Actually, that's not true at all.

Abortion most certain affects the baby that is being killed. It also affects other family members.

Marijuana? Well, it may or may not prove to be a gateway drug. But the use of it is certainly not without its problems.

Homosexuality also involves at least a second person. And while we can debate the moral/social aspects of homosexuality, it does not only involve one person.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:58 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
I was out with a friend the other day downtown to see the fireworks...he was casting judgment on people left and right....saw a guy with dredlocks...he assumed he was a drug addict. He say a guy that to him looked gay...he started going off about that. He saw an overweight person and went off on that...the odd thing is the other people we where with joined him...I stopped and asked what made him so rightous that he could cast judgments like that. I pointed out all his flaws...bad teeth, dirty clothes, no job, got his Girlfriend pregnant and doesnt help support his child...and I did the same to the whole group...when it was all said and done...it didnt fase them one bit...they continued to do as they were and cast away their judgment.
That just sounds like people being obnoxious.

I suppose you could chalk it up to the old saying that the best defense is a good offense.

On the other hand, it sounds like you're being rather judgmental toward your friend.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
First - OmahaRocks answer rocks

Second -

Do you see the irony here?
I did it to try to show them that it is wrong to openly judge.

Yes we all judge in our heads...but, when it comes to actually spewing it out and casting that judgment...I think it is wrong.

You may judge whomever, however you wish in your head. But when you go and point it out to others or even the person you are judging it becomes a verbal opinion that has an effect on those you speak it to.

The thing is...when we judge, we have no idea who we are judging and how they became the way they are. So, our judgment is possibly false.

The real question is, since we all judge in our heads...do you feel the right to vocalize that judgment no matter the outcome? Do you feel that your opinion on this judgment deems you the right to control others in anyway?

I say no, I dont care how much experience you have or knowledge you have...you have no right to judge me, my friends or anyone other than yourself. Yes, there are occasions where we need to judge a person, for example..Violent criminals...and questionable people we might cross...I am not going to go walking through a neighbor hood I know to have criminal activity...but just because someone looks like a gang member does not mean they are one. Yes, be cautious...but do not cast them aside for their style choice.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:24 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Actually, that's not true at all.

Abortion most certain affects the baby that is being killed. It also affects other family members.

Actually it is a fetus soon to be a baby. But the fetus resides in the woman...its her body...its her choice..only she can be the voice for the child...outsiders cannot.

Quote:
Marijuana? Well, it may or may not prove to be a gateway drug. But the use of it is certainly not without its problems.
Smoking anything is bad for you. And using it when it is not appropriate or too much just like Alcohol is bad as well. Ultimately it effects only the person smoking it.

Quote:
Homosexuality also involves at least a second person. And while we can debate the moral/social aspects of homosexuality, it does not only involve one person.

But it involves two people who share a lifestyle. And choosing to be homosexual is infact one persons choice, no one makes them be Homosexual.

You have the right to form an opinion on these people however, you do not have the right to tell them what to do with their body. You also do not have the right to stop them from doing such. If it is not hurting you or effecting you then you need to stay out of it. It is none of your business.

We only allow these types of things to effect us because we want them to effect us. If we just ignored it or gave it no second thought it would not effect us in any way, shape or form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies