Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:29 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Is the Virginia Tech tragedy likely to put gun control on the political agenda? Don't bet on it. In recent years, gun control has been an issue most politicians prefer to stay away from.

The last significant gun control measures to make it through Congress were the Brady bill in 1993 and the assault weapons ban in 1994.

And what happened? Democrats lost control of Congress for 12 years. President Clinton said the gun lobby had a lot to do with his party's defeat. Democrats have been gun-shy ever since.

Then-Vice President Al Gore rarely talked about gun control during the 2000 presidential campaign. Gore even went so far as to say he wouldn't restrict sportsmen or hunters, "None of my proposals would have any effect on hunters or sportsmen or people who use rifles."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/...rol/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 01:00 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,017 times
YUP...because people are just plain sick and tired of watching the liberals make every tragedy into an opportunity to pass more meaningless laws and restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens to own guns and protect themselves against the crazies.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:35 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
Here's a question, if everyone carried a gun, would there be more or less shootings?

Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Here's a question, if everyone carried a gun, would there be more or less shootings?
Answer: Would you go to an NRA convention if you wanted to rob anyone?

Old 04-18-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Another answer: More shootings, but less criminals doing it.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:42 PM

+1 AJ....yes indeed.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:45 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Another answer: More shootings, but less criminals doing it.
yes more suicides by guns and more accidental shootings and maybe, maybe I say more dead criminals.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:58 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
YUP...because people are just plain sick and tired of watching the liberals make every tragedy into an opportunity to pass more meaningless laws and restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens to own guns and protect themselves against the crazies.
EXACTLY!!! Defending your family from criminals is extremely important. Good people are tired of being treated like the abd guys.

Even the liberal Senator Harry, Reid a Democrat knows that and he doesn't want to anger good Americans who use guns for sports and self-defense. If Reid could go back to his 1993 policy of deporting illegals, America would be a MUCH better place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Answer: Would you go to an NRA convention if you wanted to rob anyone?
NO way!!! Crooks get illegal guns from Mexican drug lords. Plus criminals like liberals, as liberals promote light criminal sentencing and "counseling programs" that do NOT work and no prison time for violent criminals.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:59 PM

yes more suicides by guns and more accidental shootings and maybe, maybe I say more dead criminals.

ROFL...well, yes, if more people get suicidal suddenly just because they have a gun, or people forget which is the shootin' end of the piece! I'm sorry...I am not laughing at you, Nea...I just find this particular argument (said by others, too) plain silly. I respect your right to have your opinion, as I have mine.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
You know, this would be a good argument against car ownership. Forget the good that comes from driving, at least it would prevent the few deaths that occur from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies