Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:37 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It doesn't take much thought to realize that it's very short-sighted to say that California = Democrats = Failure. Some of the more narrow-minded people in the world would like us to believe that California is the only liberal state or the only state in the U.S. with a Democratic legislature, and that if America elects Democrats, it will mean doom and gloom for everybody. How silly. There are many states that are arguably more liberal and/or Democratic than California.
New York
Maryland
DC (not a state but should be)
Massachusetts
Vermont
Rhode Island
Delaware

I'd say that all these states are more liberal than California.

Oregon
Washington
Hawaii
Wisconsin
Illinois
Michigan
Minnesota
Conneticut
New Jersey

Some, or all, of these states might be more liberal than California as well.
This is a very narrow-minded, short-sided post, but everything that I've seen from this poster has been narrow-minded and short-sided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:45 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
It is just a fact the dems/libs have run the state into the ground with their exorbitant spending and taxation policies.

Business has been flying out of that state in droves.

The cost of doing business there is just too costly. When business goes, there go the jobs. When jobs go, there goes the tax base. When the tax base goes, there goes the revenue. When the revenue goes, here comes the deficits, UNLESS you also start cutting spending to mitigate the revenue loss.

We are exploring options to move our business to either Texas or Utah. I can handle federal tax, even state tax. I am sick of the darn "silly" taxes in CA. We pay more darn taxes, and have to jump through so many hoops its just not worth it anymore.

We hinted to our facility manager about the possibility; asked him to keep it quiet, as it was just preliminary. He decided to tell one person, who told another. Long story short, just about every employee wants to move to Utah if we go there, and about 75% would go to Texas.

I hate to tell them, but we don't plan on taking anybody except a few managers. Why would I want to pay CA wages in Texas?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
We are exploring options to move our business to either Texas or Utah. I can handle federal tax, even state tax. I am sick of the darn "silly" taxes in CA. We pay more darn taxes, and have to jump through so many hoops its just not worth it anymore.

We hinted to our facility manager about the possibility; asked him to keep it quiet, as it was just preliminary. He decided to tell one person, who told another. Long story short, just about every employee wants to move to Utah if we go there, and about 75% would go to Texas.

I hate to tell them, but we don't plan on taking anybody except a few managers. Why would I want to pay CA wages in Texas?
Good luck to you and I guess the sooner the better.

The environmental and tax policies have driven business right out.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM

689 posts, read 742,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It doesn't take much thought to realize that it's very short-sighted to say that California = Democrats = Failure. Some of the more narrow-minded people in the world would like us to believe that California is the only liberal state or the only state in the U.S. with a Democratic legislature, and that if America elects Democrats, it will mean doom and gloom for everybody. How silly. There are many states that are arguably more liberal and/or Democratic than California.
Exactly...but by coincidence many of them are failing too.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
As far as I concerned the people of California deserve the economic condition of their state. They choose to sit and let the government create liberal spending programs they could not afford.
California could easily afford all of these "liberal spending programs" that you're talking about. The main problem is that due to Prop 13 and the 2/3rds requirement for passing legislation, it's very, very hard for the government to raise any revenue in California.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:01 PM

Yes, by taxing the citizens to death.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yes, by taxing the citizens to death.
You're so overdramatic. Nobody is going to get taxed to death. That tax money pays for much needed social programs and provides plenty of living wage jobs for Californians; the average public sector salary is almost $54,000 a year, about $13,000 more than the average private sector salary. As a Californian, I'd say that more of us would prefer higher taxes, a balance budget, an abundance of public sector jobs and adequate social programs than those of us that would support low taxes, defecits, public sector layoffs and an inadequate safety net.

On another note, I actually think that California, perhaps with the help of a private sector partner, should create a state-run solar energy company. It would mean less taxes. Of course right-wing extremists, such as yourself, think government run businesses can never be successful, although the evidence says otherwise.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
think government run businesses can never be successful, although the evidence says otherwise.
What evidence would that be?

Medicare? Medicaid? The Fed? Social Security? Please, I can't wait to hear.

Quote:
As a Californian, I'd say that more of us would prefer higher taxes
I think your fellow Californians just had their say - and it doesn't agree with your claim.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
Exactly...but by coincidence many of them are failing too.
My understanding is that 46 states are currently dealing with budget problems. That would include a lot of conservative states.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 PM

[quote=sanrene;9636142]What evidence would that be?

Medicare? Medicaid? The Fed? Social Security? Please, I can't wait to hear.

I would say that Social Security is definetly a sucess. It isn't considered the third-rail of American politics for nothing. Amtrak is also another example of a successful state-run business. In Chile, which is my home away from the U.S. the state run copper company Codelco is very successful and is the cornerstone of Chile's economy. While Medicare and Medicade are underfunded, they serve a very good purpose. The Fed isn't really public; it's owned by a bunch of bankers from all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies