U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 PM

26,503 posts, read 24,263,335 times

Advertisements

My impression is that, except for the military, many conservatives simply want the government destroyed. They don't believe that anything can or should be done for the common good unless it's done by charities.

Oh, I guess I might be going too far with that statement. Some of them do believe in having at least some government. The social conservatives seem to be happy with government that limits and takes away personal freedoms. They believe that social control is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:55 AM

41,314 posts, read 38,529,176 times
Quote:
Amtrak is also another example of a successful state-run business.
You must be joking. Amtrak is deep in debt and cannot function without government subsidies.

Medicare, Medicaid - all fraught with waste, abuse and corruption.

Social Security -bankrupt and will be unable to meet it's obligations and commitments to the coming generations it has filched from.

The Fed - a government entity totally out of control and unanswerable for it's actions.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,130,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
California could easily afford all of these "liberal spending programs" that you're talking about. The main problem is that due to Prop 13 and the 2/3rds requirement for passing legislation, it's very, very hard for the government to raise any revenue in California.
Sure they can. By taxing the living day lights out of those who work and pay taxes. Sounds like you're a one of those liberals who think hard working people deserve to pay for those who don't want to work.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:33 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,311,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
You're so overdramatic. Nobody is going to get taxed to death. That tax money pays for much needed social programs and provides plenty of living wage jobs for Californians; the average public sector salary is almost $54,000 a year, about $13,000 more than the average private sector salary. As a Californian, I'd say that more of us would prefer higher taxes, a balance budget, an abundance of public sector jobs and adequate social programs than those of us that would support low taxes, defecits, public sector layoffs and an inadequate safety net.

On another note, I actually think that California, perhaps with the help of a private sector partner, should create a state-run solar energy company. It would mean less taxes. Of course right-wing extremists, such as yourself, think government run businesses can never be successful, although the evidence says otherwise.
Case and point of why California is broke.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:36 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,970,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You must be joking. Amtrak is deep in debt and cannot function without government subsidies.

Social Security -bankrupt and will be unable to meet it's obligations and commitments to the coming generations it has filched from.

The Fed - a government entity totally out of control and unanswerable for it's actions.
amtrack is at a 63:1 disadvantage to the road and airline industry in terms of gov't funding and subsidies. If the gov't wouldn't fund and subsidise road construction and airlines in this country they'd be in worse shape.

The very roads you drive on and airlines you fly in this country could not function without the gov't you hate so much. Remember 63:1. How do you get to work in the morning?

Medicare, 4% administration cost compared to routinley 20-50% in private for profit sector. There's nothing more corrupt than millions of americans that don't have health insurance and the millions of others that do but have thousands of dollars in yearly deductibles and still aren't covered for basic things. Try and scare people with waiting lists all you want but people have died waiting for surgeries and organ transplants in this for-profit country because the insurance company said they wouldn't or didn't have to pay for it.

Social Security - simple , stop borrowing from it to pay for pork projects for BOTH parties and it will remain solvent. There is absolutely no reason why it can't remain solvent. Raising the age or reducing benefits is nothing but a bailout for greedy corportate whores.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 PM

786 posts, read 899,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Sure they can. By taxing the living day lights out of those who work and pay taxes. Sounds like you're a one of those liberals who think hard working people deserve to pay for those who don't want to work.
I guess you could say that I'm "one of those liberals who think hard working people deserve to pay for those who don't want to work" because believe that in a country as rich as America, all people should be entitled to life's basic necessities. However, I believe that most people that aren't working aren't not working because they don't want to work; they aren't working because they can't find work. Yes I agree in big government when it comes to taxing and spending but I'd rather more spending go towards teaching people how to fish rather than simply giving them fish. What diferenciates me from most right wingers is that I know the free market isn't necessarily going to provide jobs for everyone; the goverment must play a strong role. I also think the government SHOULD reduce spending in some areas. For example, California spends $10 billion every year for its prison system, which houses alot of non-violent drug offenders. Studys of Prop 36 have shown that putting drug addicts in rehab costs less than locking them up. I don't think marijuana should be illegal. Not only would legalizing it save California almost $50,000 a year per conviction, but the government could also tax marijuana and make alot of money. I'd also like it if the state created , perhaps with some help from the private sector, a solar energy company. There are many places in California that get over 300 days of sun every year. A state run solar energy company could generate alot of revenue for the state and would take some burden off of the taxpayer.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,497,895 times
Hope you are right, however, those Ca politicos aren't happy with just destroying their state - they evidently are out to destroy the nation.

Such as in the instance of Cap & Trade:

Cartogram shows congressional districts with equal area.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2454

And our personal liberties (of which many are included in Cap & Trade):

Quote:
California's largely centralized government certainly does not help the economic issue, and its gun control laws-the strictest in the U.S.-are emblematic of a state with only moderate personal freedom.

RealClearPolitics - America's 10 Freest and Least Free States - Least Free - #4: California

Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,529,176 times
Quote:
amtrack is at a 63:1 disadvantage to the road and airline industry in terms of gov't funding and subsidies. If the gov't wouldn't fund and subsidise road construction and airlines in this country they'd be in worse shape.
We are not talking about just funding, it was given as an example of the stellar job government does in running a "business".

Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 PM

786 posts, read 899,937 times
Quote:

You were right about Amtrak, I meant to say Tennessee Valley Authority and for some reason put Amtrak. My idea is for the state of California to create something similar to theTVA but that produces solar energy instead of hydroelectric, nulcear and coal. since the TVA saves taxpayers millions of dollars every year, it's reasonable to believe that a solar energy company would be able to do the same.

As for Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, these are social programs; they don't exist to make a profit.

The Fed is run by bankers from all over the world; I wouldn't consider it to be a public entity.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,970,009 times
Quote:
We are not talking about just funding, it was given as an example of the stellar job government does in running a "business".
well, the gov't runs medicare with 4% admin costs which far beats anything the private for profit sector can do. and there's nothing wrong with SS, they just need to stop borrowing from the fund - it will remain solvent.

it's your opinion that the gov't runs amtrack faulty, ok, but if it has more funding it would be alot easier for it to be run better (in your opinion) for sure, no?

but thanks for not dealing with my response, you obviously have nothing to rebut with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies