Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8016340&page=1

Quote:
The 53-year-old Missouri man is one of at least 400 people suing for damages after being hurt or having family members killed in a General Motors or Chrysler vehicle. He is also one of hundreds who, thanks to the government-backed bankruptcy restructuring of GM and Chrysler, don't know if they'll ever get their day in court.

"I never thought they would throw us to the side like we weren't anything," Cole said.

That means that someone injured in a Chrysler car next week, for instance, couldn't sue the company if they bought their car before June.
This is just really outrageous. Obama got a great deal for the unions - in both cases. He screwed the creditors, in both cases.

Hot Air » Blog Archive » GM leaves plaintiffs in the dust

Quote:
The government rescued the unions by pumping tens of billions of dollars into the automakers which taxpayers will never recover. They forced investors in GM and Chrysler either to accept much less compensation than the unions despite holding more debt and having senior positions on the books, costing them billions they won’t recover. Now Obama has told those who suffered serious injuries or the families of those who died in allegedly defective vehicles that they’re going to have to sacrifice their right to their day in court, too.

The only people not sacrificing here seems to be the unions themselves, and the Obama administration.
There is no such thing as too big to fail - both of them should have been allowed to do just that and go through regular bankruptcy if required - instead, obama stepped in to save the unions and give them a mighty sweet deal.

Now he is culpable in the victims of defective GM/Chrysler made vehicles being left on the side of the road.

There is NO WAY I will ever buy another GM/Chrysler vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:34 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
There is a certain irony here. He has two major supporting groups to pay off, ambluance chasing trial lawyers, and unions. Looks like the union won on this one. I wonder what kind of sweetheart deal the lawyers will get next time. He'll probably continue to block any needed tort reform on medical malpractice and drive more doctors out of business.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
There is NO WAY I will ever buy another GM/Chrysler vehicle.
Oh no! What will we ever do? *shivers in fear*

You guys crack me up. Can't sue car company = bad. Can't sue doctor = good. No credibility. No sense. Just anger and hatred.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:04 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
You demonstrate a remarkable lack of critical thinking skills, nvxplorer. It seems to be somewhat selective, however. Gee, I wonder why...

Old 07-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You demonstrate a remarkable lack of critical thinking skills, nvxplorer. It seems to be somewhat selective, however. Gee, I wonder why...
Thank you.

*bows*

Sue car company = good. Sue doctor = bad.

How's that?

(It's selective because Democrats are in power. When Bush was in office, I was selective on the other side. I guess I just derive entertainment from sore losers' "lack of critical thinking skills." )

Old 07-08-2009, 02:13 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Oh no! What will we ever do? *shivers in fear*

You guys crack me up. Can't sue car company = bad. Can't sue doctor = good. No credibility. No sense. Just anger and hatred.
So product liability means nothing to you? Will you be so gleeful if an unfortunate accident happens to you and you are prevented from making a claim against the manufacturer if the fault is theirs?

You're the antithesis of anything logical. It's really quite embarrassing.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So product liability means nothing to you? Will you be so gleeful if an unfortunate accident happens to you and you are prevented from making a claim against the manufacturer if the fault is theirs?

You're the antithesis of anything logical. It's really quite embarrassing.
You're funny, too!

Yeah, I hate product liability when a doctor screws up, but I love it when a car company screws up. Call me silly, call me nuts, but be sure to call me extreme conservative!

(Psst...don't be embarrassed by lil' ol' me.)

Old 07-08-2009, 03:46 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
While I think BO's payoff to the UAW is the Chrysler & GM BK's were a disgrace, the reality is these plaintiffs would be out in the cold no matter what. Both of these companies were going BK w/ or w/o the feds and would be shedding their liability in theses cases either way so there really is no difference with the feds involvement.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
I hope the judge overturns the decision. The little guy gets screwed again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies