Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your upbringing in regards to homosexuality
Was raised to believe it was a sin, still believe it, and so does the rest of the country. 15 13.51%
Most people in the country believe it to be a sin. Same with the people I know. 13 11.71%
Most people believe it is sinful like telling a white lie is sinful. 7 6.31%
Nope I was raised with really cool parents that do not follow bigoted beliefs. 35 31.53%
No. I was raised in a very neutral household. 42 37.84%
No. I always believed homosexuality was normal and cool. So does everyone I know. 13 11.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:52 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I was raised to believe that masturbation was a sin and that I would go blind if I did it but homosexuality wasn't discussed much!
Interesting that the same verse (1 Cor 6:10) used to be used to condemn masturbators, not homosexuals. It was only in 1946 that the word "homosexuals" was first incorrectly translated from Paul's Greek words "arsenokoites" amd "malakoi", in an English version of the Bible. (Revised Standard Edition.) Several other English versions now misuse the word "homosexuals" in that verse (and 1 Tim 1 as well).

It's the most commonly used verse to condemn homosexuals in modern times. However it was never used by the early church fathers, and the words used by Paul were never used by secular writers to refer to homosexuals- probably because they knew it was referring to male temple prostitutes and those who used them to worship the Roman pagan fertility gods of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Fill out the poll and engage in the discussion. The first two options on the poll should have read 'a very bad sin'.

Were you raised that way and do you believe it is a prevailing belief in the United States of America?

In my house I never heard that it was a sin. Nor did we discuss it. Even when we all sat around to watch the TV show Will and Grace.
There are SO many threads like this. This subject has been discussed to death on C-D, and as soon as a thread regarding homosexuality dies out, somebody starts another one...which inevitably ends up to be the same C-D homosexuals defending their sexual orientation against the same people who challenge it.

What IS the point?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:28 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
"so does most of the country"

well most of the country sucks... and goes to church.. which is a bunch of crap... and what??
majority validates your bigoted opinion somehow? only says to me that there's a pack of you out there.. and you all suck... how bout them apples?
Don't you realize that judging Christ and all Christians by a bunch of bigots is just as close minded and judgemental as those who judge all gay men by foolish sterotypes? The Lord came in love and taught lessons of love, acceptance, caring for one another and taking care of one another, non violence, etc. Please don't judge Him by those who use His name to cover their prejudice. If you read what Jesus said himself, he never even mentioned homosexuality...not once. But he had a whole lot to say about the religious leaders of His time on earth who used their position in a selfish, unjust, and greedy way.....
There are many, many Christians who do their best to follow Christ's teachings of love and caring and do not spend our time trying to find people to hate or people to exclude. We....Christians who follow Christ's teachings .. do NOT hate you because you are a homosexual... we do NOT judge you because you are a homosexual. Please don't hate us and please do not hate the One who loves you because of what a group of bigots say.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:31 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,061,158 times
Quote:
Fill out the poll and engage in the discussion. The first two options on the poll should have read 'a very bad sin'.

Were you raised that way and do you believe it is a prevailing belief in the United States of America?

In my house I never heard that it was a sin. Nor did we discuss it. Even when we all sat around to watch the TV show Will and Grace.
I was raised to accept people from all over the spectrum. If it's ones wish to be with one of the same sex then who am I to say they can't be together? I believe people should do what makes them happy.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:

Word your polls more carefully, please. Where was the choice for those of us that were raised to believe it was a sin and do not believe it to be the truth as adults?
Casper

Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
If you don't believe it is a sin then click the last one on the poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Word your polls more carefully, please. Where was the choice for those of us that were raised to believe it was a sin and do not believe it to be the truth as adults?
Casper

Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
That is awesome to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I was raised to accept people from all over the spectrum. If it's ones wish to be with one of the same sex then who am I to say they can't be together? I believe people should do what makes them happy.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:55 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
I was raised by a Jew and a Catholic. One of the few things they agreed upon was that homosexuality was a "bad thing". Good thing I never listened to a thing they said.

When it comes to homosexuality, my daughter will be raised with the idea that love transcends gender.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Were you raised to believe homosexual activity is a sin?

I don't remember it EVER being discussed in my home,but I heard about it at Church a bit as a child.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
There are SO many threads like this. This subject has been discussed to death on C-D, and as soon as a thread regarding homosexuality dies out, somebody starts another one...which inevitably ends up to be the same C-D homosexuals defending their sexual orientation against the same people who challenge it.

What IS the point?
ditto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies