Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
Exaclty, it is what you spend money on. So by using this information we will be able to make smarter choices which will be more efficient and save money on things which do not make us healthier. At the same time, a public plan will reduce health insurance costs because they only have a 2% overhead compared to private insurance companies who have a 15% overhead and don't cover everybody. They spend so much money on advertisement and health investigations trying to deny coverage and recind policies.
Wrong, you are making generalizations that every disease can be treated uniformly the same... most of the time, it can't... for a huge number of reasons... diseases don't affect everyone the same, diseases can be resistant to any number of treatments... we already know some of the things Obama wants "researched" again.. pouring money into knowing stuff we already know isn't going to help anything... that's exactly what Obama is saying... he wants to invest money to find optimal treatments... guess what, Optimal treatment A might help Patient A but its not going to help Patient B, C, D, E, F, G, H... but we already know that but regardless Obama is going to want it to be research just to be "sure"... one disease is going to cost millions (possibly billions)... how many diseases is Obama going to try to figure out with a budget of several billion? How many disease do you think exists in this world? How much do we already know about these diseases? He isn't relying on what we already know, he is going to retest what we know at the cost of millions (seems like a waste, don't you think?)... for what? To realize that Optimal treatment IS the best treatment for Patient A but not the other ones? This is going to save health care costs? Guess what? Once treatment A doesn't work for Patient A anymore (those millions/billions spent? Gone)... or perhaps new treatment comes along that treats Patient A, B, C better... those millions you just spent on trying to figure out things? Useless.... Its hype... its sounds good until you put it into practice...

The public plan has 2% overhead? You willing to bet on that? I call that a misinformed idea instead of actual fact... insurance companies don't cover everybody because they want to make lots of money... the only thing it will do is make sick people leave private insurance to the public option which in turns raises the costs of the public option.. and who is going to pay when the government won't be paying into it? Who? Ghostbusters? Are health insurance companies leeches? Yup, never said they weren't... are health insurance companies bad? Yup, never said they weren't... Is the public option sustainable? NOPE... no way, no how... how is a public option going to support itself when it costs more because of its sick patient base? HOW? Its NOT possible... why is Obama STILL thinking on how to fund this monster? I don't know how Obama is going to fund this in its current state... has reality hit you yet? HOW IS IT GOING TO BE FUNDED? (mind you, it is not government run... it is only government created)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 09:30 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
My best friend was born with a congential heart defect and had a pacemaker at 21. Never had a problem getting or paying for insurance, never made over 40K a year and didnt know anybody special. But you're telling me someone with asthma has trouble getting insurance?
My daughter has diabetes. If she lost her job and her group insurance, she would be uninsurable.

In this country, anyone with a pre-existing medical condition is essentially uninsurable, unless they work for a company that offers group health coverage.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:34 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
If the overall cost of healthcare is reduced that means more coverage for less money, reduced premiums, no denial for preexisting conditions, savings directly into your pocket. Your out of pocket expenses on health care would be reduced if the cost of health care is reduced. And you don't have to stress out if you lose your job or change jobs, because your health insurance will travel with you.
If you cut the Advantage program, senior's premiums WOULD be higher as they would now have to pay for the supplemental policy.

You do know traditional Medicare only pays for 80% of the cost of "usual and customary charges"?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Wrong, you are making generalizations that every disease can be treated uniformly the same... most of the time, it can't... for a huge number of reasons... diseases don't affect everyone the same, diseases can be resistant to any number of treatments... we already know some of the things Obama wants "researched" again.. pouring money into knowing stuff we already know isn't going to help anything... that's exactly what Obama is saying... he wants to invest money to find optimal treatments... guess what Optimal treatment A might help Patient A but its not going to help Patient B, C, D, E, F, G, H... but we already know that but regardless Obama is going to want it to be research just to be "sure"... one disease is going to cost millions (possibly billions)... how many diseases is Obama going to try to figure out with a budget of several billion? How many disease do you think exists in this world? How much do we already know about these diseases? He isn't relying on what we already know, he is going to retest what we know at the cost of millions (seems like a waste, don't you think?)... for what? To realize that Optimal treatment IS the best treatment for Patient A but not the other ones? This is going to save health care costs? Guess what? Once treatment A doesn't work for Patient A anymore (those millions/billions spent? Gone)... or perhaps new treatment comes along that treats Patient A, B, C better... those millions you just spent on trying to figure out things? Useless.... Its hype... its sounds good until you put it into practice...

The public plan has 2% overhead? You willing to bet on that? I call that a misinformed idea instead of actual fact... insurance companies don't cover everybody because they want to make lots of money... the only thing it will do is make sick people leave private insurance to the public option which in turns raises the costs of the public option.. and who is going to pay when the government won't be paying into it? Who? Ghostbusters? Are health insurance companies leeches? Yup, never said they weren't... are health insurance companies bad? Yup, never said they weren't... Is the public option sustainable? NOPE... no way, no how... how is a public option going to support itself when it costs more because of its sick patient base? HOW? Its NOT possible... why is Obama STILL thinking on how to fund this monster? I don't know how Obama is going to fund this in its current state... has reality hit you yet? HOW IS IT GOING TO BE FUNDED? (mind you, it is not government run... it is only government created)

Under this health care legislation private insurance companies are required to cover everybody, so if they provide a good product then people will stay with the private insurance companies. The public plan will insure good competition and force them to reign in their costs.

Nobody is advocating the same treatment for everybody, but having certain tests done which have zero proven results is a waste of money which Doctors are sometimes obligated to do because of malpractice suits. Tort reform and medical lawsuits will be part of the reform. Doctors incentives will be on providing the correct care instead of the most care, thus reducing costs.

I would advise you to do some research. Private insurance companies are far more bureaucratic because of all the time and effort them spend in advertising and health care records investigations trying to deny coverage. Plus if everybody is covered that will create a large pool of customers, thus reducing costs again.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, bully for all of you! So you/your friend's employers provide insurance, and pass the cost along to the consumers of their business. Don't you know anyone who doesn't have it made like you? There are plenty of people out there working at jobs that do not provide health insurance, and there are plenty of people who have no job at all and would be glad to have a job even if it didn't provide ins. If you/your friend lost jobs today, where would you be? A COBRA plan costs at least $500/mo. for a single 25 year old (we looked into this for our daughter when she had to get off our plan). My brother, at age 59, is paying $800/mo COBRA since he lost his job.
And for taking care of myself and my family I should get down on my knees and beg forgiveness, right? I guess the radical concept of self-determination escapes you and everyone should have what we have even if they don't work for it, right?

Of course I know those not so favorably situated. How thoughtless of us to get educations and experience that led to our current situation.

Thankfully, we don't have to worry about our jobs. We're both retired -- my wife six years ago and me last year -- and our benefits are locked-in for life unless the current administration messes things up for us.

By the way, we have seven adult children between us and they all have medical insurance. Guess they learned well, wouldn't you say?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
My daughter has diabetes. If she lost her job and her group insurance, she would be uninsurable.

In this country, anyone with a pre-existing medical condition is essentially uninsurable, unless they work for a company that offers group health coverage.
I know of the pre-existing clause in my insurance... its not if I lose insurance, I can't get insurance for it... as long as it is covered by previous insurance for six months, it is not treated as a pre-existing condition... I don't agree with pre-existing clauses because it is antithesis to "health insurance"...So if she loses her job, she can get another insurance that covers her diabetes however it would be incredibly difficult given that she has no job to pay the premiums... I just don't like pre-existing clauses period but I "hear" it may be coming to an end in 2010... cross your fingers...

Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
If you cut the Advantage program, senior's premiums WOULD be higher as they would now have to pay for the supplemental policy.

You do know traditional Medicare only pays for 80% of the cost of "usual and customary charges"?
Medicare Advantage Plans DO NOT MAKE PEOPLE BETTER. They are just subsidies for the insurance companies. Plus there are so many scams in regards to Advantage plans that Seniors usually get screwed.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I know of the pre-existing clause in my insurance... its not if I lose insurance, I can't get insurance for it... as long as it is covered by previous insurance for six months, it is not treated as a pre-existing condition... I don't agree with pre-existing clauses because it is antithesis to "health insurance"...So if she loses her job, she can get another insurance that covers her diabetes however it would be incredibly difficult given that she has no job to pay the premiums... I just don't like pre-existing clauses period but I "hear" it may be coming to an end in 2010... cross your fingers...
It will come to an end if we get health reform legislation passed this year.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And for taking care of myself and my family I should get down on my knees and beg forgiveness, right? I guess the radical concept of self-determination escapes you and everyone should have what we have even if they don't work for it, right?

Of course I know those not so favorably situated. How thoughtless of us to get educations and experience that led to our current situation.

Thankfully, we don't have to worry about our jobs. We're both retired -- my wife six years ago and me last year -- and our benefits are locked-in for life unless the current administration messes things up for us.

By the way, we have seven adult children between us and they all have medical insurance. Guess they learned well, wouldn't you say?
Lets just hope none of your grandchildren have a horrible disease that they will never get covered for. Then your chlidren will pay out of pocket for astronomical health care procedures. Probably file for bankruptcy and be out on the street.

The number one cause of bankruptcy in America is health care.
75% of those bankrupt for health care HAVE INSURANCE!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:47 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
Medicare Advantage Plans DO NOT MAKE PEOPLE BETTER. They are just subsidies for the insurance companies. Plus there are so many scams in regards to Advantage plans that Seniors usually get screwed.
That has nothing to do with my statement about people having a higher out of pocket expense via the need to purchase a supplemental policy with Medicare versus an Advantage plan.

Advantage plans evidently are also a subsidy to the senior who has it, as it saves them money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies