Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:51 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Yeah. But nowadays we must get twice the average MPGs out of our vehicles.
True but you will never know what it is like to have a 454 under the hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
The Carter years lasted from 1977 until 1981. In addition to all the above, and Iranian hostage crisis where 53 Americans were held hostage for 444 days from November 1979 to January 1981 when they were released on the day of Ronald Reagan's inauguration, it was a time of national malaise during which pride and trust for the country were at an all-time low, our military was badly weakened and Washington didn't rally the national will to do much of anything.

Not something I wish to see repeated. Lived through it once. Survived the cold war. Came through combat alive and well. Don't want to experience any of that again.

DO YOU HEAR THAT PRESIDENT OBAMA?

Oops! Almost forgot. But back then Michael Jackson still had a nose!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-07-2009 at 07:30 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
In 1973 the price of gas per gallon was 36 cents -- unemployment 5.9% -- inflation 4.3%

In 1974 the price of gas per gallon was 55 cents -- unemployment 4.9% -- inflation 13.9%

In 1978 the price of gas per gallon was 65 cents -- unemployment 7.1% -- inflation 12.4%

In 1980 the price of gas per gallon was 1.25 -- unemployment 5.8% -- inflation 13.5%

High inflation and low wages were the hallmarks of the 70's recession.

(At least in the 70's, we all had jobs. Now there are no jobs with double digit inflation right around the corner.)

I think that we'll be seeing inflation sneaking up on us pretty quick ... probably spring/summer of 2010

What's really going to blow, is the unemployment numbers we have now, and climbing, holding hands with double digit inflation in 2010 ...

In my opinion. We are all in for a very, very long haul.

This current economic crisis will make the 70's look like a walk in the park.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The Carter years lasted from 1977 until 1981. In addition to all the above, and Iranian hostage crisis where 53 Americans were held hostage for 444 days from November 1979 to January 1981 when they were released on the day of Ronald Reagan's inauguration, it was a time of national malaise during which pride and trust for the country were at an all-time low, our military was badly weakened and Washington didn't rally the national will to do much of anything.

Not something I wish to see repeated. Lived through it once. Survived the cold war. Came through combat alive and well. Don't want to experience any of that again.

DO YOU HEAR THAT PRESIDENT OBAMA?

Oops! Almost forgot. But back them Michael Jackson still had a nose!
Yea, Carter was a disaster in both domestic and foreign policy terms.

When he dies, a national day of mourning will be foisted on everybody because he was a president (allegedly). There will be wall to wall eulogies and of course none of his many failures will be mentioned.

BTW, in addition to being one of the worst presidents, he has had a shameful post-presidency.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
http://data.bls.gov/PDQ/graphics/LNS14000000_394616_1247016004510.gif (broken link)
http://data.bls.gov/PDQ/servlet/SurveyOutputServlet

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/I..._currentPage=2

http://www.ntu.org/main/page.php?PageID=19

Too bad there will never be another Reagan to repair this nasty economic stew of Obamanomics.

Quote:
First, we must overcome something the present Administration has cooked up -- a new and altogether indigestible economic stew: one part inflation, one part high unemployment, one part recession, one part runaway taxes, one part deficit spending, seasoned with an energy crisis. It's an economic stew that has turned the national stomach...

...The head of a government which has utterly refused to live within its means and which has, in the last few days, told us that this coming year's deficit will be 60 billion dollars, dares to point the finger of blame at business and labor, both of which have been engaged in a losing struggle just trying to stay even.

High taxes, we are told, are somehow good for us, as if, when government spends our money it isn't inflationary, but when we spend it, it is.

Those -- Those who preside over the worst energy shortage in our history tell us to use less, so that we will run out of oil, gasoline, and natural gas a little more slowly. Well, now, conservation is desirable, of course. We mustn't waste energy. But conservation is not the sole answer to our energy needs. America must get to work producing more energy.
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...gan1980rnc.htm

Last edited by BigJon3475; 07-07-2009 at 07:38 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
My friend says during Carter times jobs were so hard to find she checked the obituaries to see if the dead person had a job. Then she knew where to try.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:22 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
that guy didn't have a clue he was a obama to the max. i remember the bumper sticker for Raegan. why not an actor we had a clown for 4 years. ha ha i was just a kid. my democrate parents voted for Reagan

Old 07-07-2009, 07:23 PM

454 posts, read 795,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My friend says during Carter times jobs were so hard to find she checked the obituaries to see if the dead person had a job. Then she knew where to try.

Brilliant!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
Interesting to reflect back on those years. During that four year period I graduated, got married, had my first kid, and went in the service. The current status of the economy seems more crushing and to be quite honest the future seems more uncertain then it did then. Then again, back then we had less to waste our money on in terms of gadgets. I like the picture of the gas line as I see my old VW Rabbit in line. Actually, the period of the shortage with lines was pretty short and did not impact me much. We did have the odd and even rule for a few weeks when you could get gas, but even for daily commuters it was not a big deal. Even the 1973 shortage was not really a crisis. Can't say I have a great amount of nostalgia for the late 70's, but quite a bit of stuff even with inflation was much more affordable than today.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I was laid off as much as I worked. The Carter years were when off-shoring of manufacturing really started to take off. The Air Force, and to a lesser extent the Navy, had chronic shortages across all specialities, I don't know about the Marines or Army. The Air Force, especially, was cannibalizing operational aircraft to keep other ones flying due to a shortage of spare parts. Drug use in the military was rampant. It sometime seemed that everything the US tried to do turned to crap: from energy to education to rescuing hostages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies