Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Govt. move to curb speculative oil trading?
Yes 17 65.38%
No 8 30.77%
Don't know/don't care one way or the other 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:39 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times

Advertisements

good idea, or not?

Quote:
Reacting to the violent swings in oil prices in recent months, federal regulators announced on Tuesday that they were considering new restrictions on “speculative” traders in markets for oil, natural gas and other energy products.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/bu...ml?_r=1&ref=us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Please..why wait a year to question it ?

lol..restrictions on speculation when regulations were ignored ?

How dumb do they think American's are ?
There are plenty of checks and balances. That they ignored them or modified them in favor of "the free market" and "self regulation" should just be brushed under the rug.

Ah heck..just give everyone in America a government job to oversee or work on the regulatory committees.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Good idea. Close the Enron Loophole. Regulate electronic markets. Restrict trading in poorly regulated offshore markets. A year ago, you were paying $4.05 a gallon in signfiicant part because of the folks at Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and a gaggle of unregulated hedge funds. That potential for that kind of crap needs to be eliminated.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:57 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Good idea. Close the Enron Loophole. Regulate electronic markets. Restrict trading in poorly regulated offshore markets. A year ago, you were paying $4.05 a gallon in signfiicant part because of the folks at Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and a gaggle of unregulated hedge funds. That potential for that kind of crap needs to be eliminated.
i'm probably going against the conservative grain on this one, but i agree with you. oil is a strategically vital commodity that should not be subjected to the whims of speculators.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:13 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I can agree with that, although i'll admit that I need to do a little more studying on the subject.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 07-08-2009 at 08:22 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,051 times
Yeehaw! Another witch hunt. Burn the evil speculators at the stake!

Then after they are all dead learn the real reasons why the price of oil is so volatile.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
good idea, or not?
Unlike wheat and corn, which are impacted by weather and droughts, oil is a stable commodity. When oil prices spike 100%, for no good reason at all, maybe it is time to slow the rate at which prices can change, or make the speculators put more cash up front, and take on more of the risk. Or maybe get banks and hedge funds out of the commodity exchange?

thats my two cents worth, but I'm pretty ignorant on all this type of stuff.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:57 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
I don't really know enough about oil markets to have a good assessment of this and would like to hear from some that know more about it. I found Donald Trump's comments interesting, and relevant as a response to the OP, but again, I'm not the best person to evaluate the merits of either position.

"Mr. Trump answered “OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries) is raising oil prices and absolutely draining and sucking the blood out of the country. There’s no reason for $70 oil.”

"He explained “They like to blame it on speculators. Speculators are peanuts compared to the power that OPEC has.” "

"Mr. Trump was clear about the danger this nation currently faces. “OPEC has to be destroyed in an economic sense...It really is an illegal situation…I know people involved with OPEC. They laugh at the stupidity of our country. They laugh at the stupidity of our politicians.” "

"Mr. Trump had this to say “We’ve been taken for years and nobody does anything about it, and you know why, because they’ve hired every lobbyist in Washington. You don’t even hear this other than from me and a couple of people…then I watch one of the oil ministers the other day say, and laughing to himself, ‘Oh yes, it’s the speculators.’”

Donald Trump: OPEC is ‘Sucking the blood out of the country’

Old 07-08-2009, 01:03 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Yup. It seems a pretty good bet that there's been a lot of market manipulation going on. A free market ideal is fine, but the fact is, market manipulation is NOT indicative of a free market. It's a sign that something is seriously wrong when a relatively small group of people are able to manipulate a commodity that sort of degree to their advantage and everyone elses' disadvantage.

Ken

Old 07-08-2009, 01:07 PM

769 posts, read 887,586 times
I voted 'no' really on the principle the when the government intervenes in the market, as a generality things get messed up. I would have voted "I don't know" if "I don't care" wasn't attached to it; like others said, I'm not fully educated on how unregulated hedge funds work.

Like Rggr pointed out Trump saying though, I do know OPEC is borderline gangsters and we need to look ahead to get out from under the petro fist. It is that or when things get tough we have to accept that to protect our own interests it may be necessary to go just take it, since we trade it as a free market commodity, when it is about as essential to us right now as air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies