U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 PM

9,043 posts, read 11,571,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That must have been written by an Uncle Tom
I knew you wouldn't disappoint me KevK. Look at a few pages back about my prediction of your response.

She's not acting "black enough", eh?

Sorry if Bill Cosby and Alan Keyes aren't doing fist bumps and playing hoops 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,660,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Pick the worst from one author and compare with the best of the other?

Nice metrics.
No, just whatever sales numbers are the ones from which you make your claim. I dont know which Obama book you're talking about, or whether it's both books together or what. Wow, didnt even occur to me, the "nice metrics" thing. Are you used to people trying to cheat you?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:05 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,660,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
this is a quote from wiki. you can go to the economist if you want to browse for the article, but I am not going to.

In the wake of the late 2000s recession, sales of Atlas Shrugged have sharply increased, according to The Economist magazine and The New York Times. The Economist reported that the fifty-two-year-old novel ranked #33 among Amazon.com's top-selling books on 13 January, 2009 and that its thirty day sales average showed the novel selling three times faster than during the same period of the previous year, outselling even the newly elected Barack Obama's latest title.
Thanks, thefinal.

at "atlasshrugged.com," this about the sales :
Most remarkable about a novel in print for 50 years is the increasingly strong trend in sales over recent years. Paperback sales by New American Library to the book trade averaged 77,600 copies a year in the 1980s, 95,200 copies a year in the 1990s, and in the current decade have averaged 139,200 a year. After 50 years, annual sales are reaching all-time highs. Penguin Group (USA) currently publishes four editions: hardcover, two trade paperback editions, and one mass-market edition.
http://atlasshrugged.com/book/history.html#sales (broken link)

So it wasnt exactly in competition with Barry's book, was it? It's more in competition with perennial self-help books like "How to Prosper During the Coming Rough Times."

Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,165,945 times
I work with a black man and we have discussed the way black people use the N word when talking about each other and it is fine with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That's not how it goes:

"When a white person makes a negative comment about another white person, it's just their individual opinion. But when a black person makes a negative comment about another black person," they are verbally drawn and quartered by other blacks, and held up as race traitors of some sort.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,165,945 times
Not me. I even have a black doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
This is special...

Some of the same people who posted in this thread who agree with this automatically think the worst about black people, automatically agree with what this woman is saying. That phoniess is so apparent.

Out of those who are agreeing and praising with this woman, I'd wonder about how many of you would have a negative image of her if you saw her walking down the street.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 PM

22,734 posts, read 16,180,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
you didn't bring up anything. you posted a link to the bluffington post, on a subject, and I destroyed it with logic. I already addressed the including of "black" in the title. it's called an attention grabbing headline. not all black people voted for BO based on the fact that he's half black. this lady sure didn't. I actually was disturbed by the video. imagine the government stepping in and telling a private business how to run. that's disgusting.
The government did no such thing.
And you have clearly proven your thesis - black people are only useful when it suits your purposes or advances your agenda.
Got it.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,193,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That must have been written by an Uncle Tom, Aunt Jemima or by a certain talk show host named Herman Cain. It is all BS. And blacks did not vote for Obama because he is "black". Obama is NOT black, he is 1/2 white and was raised by white folks who had far more influence on him than his African father did. Blacks voted for him because they always vote Democrat. They voted for Gore, Clinton and Mondale too. They even voted for Orval Faubus and George Wallace.
the product was marketed as being black. so that's what most blacks voted for. not all though. a lot of blacks will always vote democrat. as for herman cain, are you talking about the best selling author, and one of the most successful businessmen in the state of georgia. remember godfather's pizza? you sure as hell didn't before herman cain. you just hate him, because he IS black, and like the author of this essay, he comes from the south and has family roots here. barry is just a fraud who happened to be the soup of the day.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
What's an even bigger shame is Republican bottom-feeding: compulsive foraging on the internet for any anti-Obama/anti-government screed written by any wingnut.

It's not looking good for the Republican party. . . .
good, considering this woman, viewfromthepeak, and myself are libertarains.

ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Thanks, thefinal.

at "atlasshrugged.com," this about the sales :
Most remarkable about a novel in print for 50 years is the increasingly strong trend in sales over recent years. Paperback sales by New American Library to the book trade averaged 77,600 copies a year in the 1980s, 95,200 copies a year in the 1990s, and in the current decade have averaged 139,200 a year. After 50 years, annual sales are reaching all-time highs. Penguin Group (USA) currently publishes four editions: hardcover, two trade paperback editions, and one mass-market edition.
History of Atlas Shrugged — Atlas Shrugged (http://atlasshrugged.com/book/history.html#sales - broken link)

So it wasnt exactly in competition with Barry's book, was it? It's more in competition with perennial self-help books like "How to Prosper During the Coming Rough Times."
it's a good book regardless. rand is a good writer.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The government did no such thing.
And you have clearly proven your thesis - black people are only useful when it suits your purposes or advances your agenda.
Got it.

what is my agenda? I am a guy in an internet chatroom. I vote, and that's about it. if I had an agenda, I would be running for something or lobbying for something. get real. you seem to think the motley crue on C-D pulls a lot of weight in the real world. black people are just as useful to me as white or green people. I use them to exchange goods, services, and ideas.

oh, government has never stepped in and told businesses how to run right? go get some trans fats or have a smoke in NYC and say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies