U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 PM

86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Yeah, I'm sure I do. But then where do you draw the line? What about people on medicaid and medicare who get too much sun and have to have skin cancers removed, or people who are promiscuous and have to be treated for STD's, or people who refuse to get rid of the pets that they are allergic to and have to be treated for allergies and asthma? Or, what about all the babies that are delivered?
You have a good point. I see no problem with drawing the line with obesity. Cigarattes are already taxed. Obesity is second largest killer - heart attacks etc. I think this is a natural progression.
Just what are you going to tax? With cigarettes, there is a tangilble item. Everyone needs food, and I have posted at least twice now (though I think one was deleted) that any nutritionist worth their RD would agree that any food can be eaten in a "healthy" diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
If (Calories_In > Calories_Spent) then {
gain_pounds();
}
esle {
lose_pounds();
}

It's not rocket science.
It's also not that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,785,212 times
[quote=Katiana;9668471]
Quote:

Just what are you going to tax? With cigarettes, there is a tangilble item. Everyone needs food, and I have posted at least twice now (though I think one was deleted) that any nutritionist worth their RD would agree that any food can be eaten in a "healthy" diet.
I completely agree. There's no bad food, there are only bad diets.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:41 PM

1,505 posts, read 3,844,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's also not that simple.
Actually it is that simple. Regardless of whether someone has a medical condition or not, fat is stored energy. The body absolutely cannot violate the laws of thermodynamics. To gain a pound of fat one must have a surplus of at least 3500 calories( actually more as no energy conversion is %100 efficient ).

Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 PM

3,389 posts, read 3,003,273 times
Quote:
Lets have a fat tax. We can start by allowing fat people to take only baths instead of showers because for those seriously overweight it will only take 2 inches of water in a tub to fill up the tub, once they put their grossly overweight arse in it.

I am not crazy about subsidizing fat people. I have no problem with food stamps in theory, but how about taking the cheetos, colas, and candy bars out of the items that you can purchase with the foodstamps. We pay for them to have food and then we pay for their medical expenses because they are overweight. It has always been shocking for me to notice that the fattest people in line at the grocery store are usually the ones using food stamps (or purchase cards).

Another wonderful idea, why not require the fat arses to pay for all the alcohol for the poor bas*** wedged into the seat next to them on the airplane.

Why not require all of those morbidly obese people to pay for the popcorn and beverages for the people whose space they encroach on at the movie theaters.

I am for national healthcare, but include in the plan that allows doctors the ability to order patients to lose weight and if they don't for the courts to be allowed to fine them.

Stay tuned for my next post on taxing the ignorant.

Obese population uses 18 percent more food energy than normal population
Well, aside from the fact that your OP is one of the rudest I have ever read, I do agree with you on the food stamp issue. Now, I wouldn't take their ability to buy Hamburger Helper and stuff like that. But foods like chips, soda, candy, ice cream, etc. which have little or no nutritional value should be seen as luxuries and you should not be able to buy them with food stamps. But then again, there are plenty of fat people who take care of their own food costs. And they carry insurance for their medical care. So are you just planning to discriminate against poor fat people who are on welfare? Do you also have a problem with regular fat people who pay their own bills? Just asking.

Also, I hate to break it to you but several of your listed nuisance items flow into the realm of "get over it" I mean, those people paid the same price you did for the movie and the seat on the plane. We don't need to start discriminating against overweight people. We have enough hate to deal with already. If you don't want to sit next to the big guy in the movies, switch seats. If they are all full, either get over your hangup or leave. Simple. As for the plane, I guess you are just out of luck. Only so much room anyway. So I guess you'll just have to get over that one as well. This is Reads2Much, 5'11", 220lbs, martial artist. The statistics probably say I am fat too. But we don't all fit under the same set of rules all the time. And boy, I sure can move for a fat guy!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Actually it is that simple. Regardless of whether someone has a medical condition or not, fat is stored energy. The body absolutely cannot violate the laws of thermodynamics. To gain a pound of fat one must have a surplus of at least 3500 calories( actually more as no energy conversion is %100 efficient ).
Oh, no it's not that simple. No one's metabolism is exactly the same. Some diseases and medications can really mess up one's metabolism. Do a search.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:05 PM

1,505 posts, read 3,844,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, no it's not that simple. No one's metabolism is exactly the same. Some diseases and medications can really mess up one's metabolism. Do a search.
Yes metabolism can vary but one can never store more energy than is taken in. In fact, because of the inefficiency of the body one must consume a large surplus of energy in order to store it as fat. This is because of fundamental laws of the universe and if you can prove that it is not true in even one case then you could win a Nobel prize in physics.

Last edited by Lucidus; 07-08-2009 at 07:26 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 19,023,480 times
liberals will tax just about anything that can't run away fast enough.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:52 PM

Alterations in metabolism, as in illness, can cause a mis-match between appetite and metab. I"ll take my Nobel Prize. It's the one thing I don't have, LOL!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:05 PM

12,558 posts, read 16,652,545 times
This is one of the most ignorant threads I've see on C-D but it does bring to mind what can happen under a nationalized health plan, e.g., taxing the unhealthy, taxing the elderly, taxing large families, taxing motorcycle riders, taxing oil field workers or others in dangerous professions, taxing people living in unhealthy areas, etc.

For the record, I am opposed to ANY any new taxes because if I support a tax for my enemy, they will eventually get the chance to support a tax for me.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:11 PM

20,899 posts, read 39,162,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
...snip.... See how stupid this is?
No argument, at least 80% of the posts in P&OC are stupid....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies