U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:17 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,891,223 times

Advertisements

Sorry...tomtem post but ....we did have to figure out how many calories he expends in order to, as Lucidus says, figure out how many he could take in and allot how many calories to what kinds of food....fat vs carbs vs sugar,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:32 AM

35,162 posts, read 32,145,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Skinny does not necessarily equal healthy either. Look at the waifish "supermodels" and other Hollywood types who obsess about weight to the point that they have eating disorders or chain smoke. Look at Michael Jackson, he was a beanpole and as unhealthy as anyone.
bad example if you are talking about disorders

Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 AM

14,154 posts, read 11,630,171 times
Personally, I feel if someone is happy being overweight, and I know a few like this, good on ya. I myself, could lose a few pounds, and I have a very active lifestyle. But I'm not going to get all burr under my cinch about ten pounds and spend 3 hours at a gym after a 12 hour day turning wrenches and crawling on my belly like a rat. I know people who are addicted to the gym. And they are far more annoying to listen to on subjects like this than overweight folks. There are times where I like to go out to my favorite restaurant and consume more than I need to live, because I LOVE hot chicken wings, and I can. Not everyone is capable, or inclined, to eat a strict diet and spend two hours on a stair stepper and another two lifting weights. Yet, many of the people who do live like that feel they are qualified somehow to judge someone who would rather spend their evening with a hearty meal and some down time. Medical conditions aside, if someone is 'fat' and happy with themselves, why should they be made to feel guilty about it? if you want to spend your spare time at the gym and admiring yourself in the mirror, fine. That , in no way gives a person the right to sit in lofty judgement, quoting body fat indexes, to someone who likes to eat and doesn't care if they have a spare tire. I'm 6'0 even and weigh 200 pounds. 20 years ago I was 180. I'm perfectly happy with the extra 20 and sure ain't going to spend my spare time obsessing about my weight. If some one is OK being 20,30 40, or more pounds over what the AMA says they should weigh, thats their call. I'm not going to look down on them for their lifstyle choices. It's still a free country....isn't it?

Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 AM

5,560 posts, read 4,975,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Lets have a fat tax. We can start by allowing fat people to take only baths instead of showers because for those seriously overweight it will only take 2 inches of water in a tub to fill up the tub, once they put their grossly overweight arse in it.

I am not crazy about subsidizing fat people. I have no problem with food stamps in theory, but how about taking the cheetos, colas, and candy bars out of the items that you can purchase with the foodstamps. We pay for them to have food and then we pay for their medical expenses because they are overweight. It has always been shocking for me to notice that the fattest people in line at the grocery store are usually the ones using food stamps (or purchase cards).

Another wonderful idea, why not require the fat arses to pay for all the alcohol for the poor bas*** wedged into the seat next to them on the airplane.

Why not require all of those morbidly obese people to pay for the popcorn and beverages for the people whose space they encroach on at the movie theaters.

I am for national healthcare, but include in the plan that allows doctors the ability to order patients to lose weight and if they don't for the courts to be allowed to fine them.

Stay tuned for my next post on taxing the ignorant.

Obese population uses 18 percent more food energy than normal population

I dont if I should take your post seriously but I'm sure many in this country and our government would enact this if they could.
How about a "living tax" the day you are born you are in debt for just being here. Your parents have to pay a tax for creating you and for the rest of your life you have to pay off that debt when your parents die.
Control your life not others society functions with all types of people, black, white, green, fat and thin and everything in between.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:47 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,891,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Personally, I feel if someone is happy being overweight, and I know a few like this, good on ya. ?
You know, there are many that are perfectly happy and actually quite healthy.
I visited a thread about preferences once and there are also a whole lot of people that prefer ladies/men that have 'some meat on their bones'. Sometimes, even a whole lot of it

Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,805,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I dont if I should take your post seriously but I'm sure many in this country and our government would enact this if they could.
How about a "living tax" the day you are born you are in debt for just being here. Your parents have to pay a tax for creating you and for the rest of your life you have to pay off that debt when your parents die.
Control your life not others society functions with all types of people, black, white, green, fat and thin and everything in between.
Hope nobody in Congress reads this posting, could be a proposal next week...

Old 07-10-2009, 09:30 AM

5,560 posts, read 4,975,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Hope nobody in Congress reads this posting, could be a proposal next week...
We already have that it's called the national debt and social security.

Notice the word "security"
The security that government will always have free money comes to them that they can get from you the day you are born and given a SS number.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
What makes me an authority on thermodynamics? These laws are well established and anyone who has taken any physics course should know them.

I didn't realize that I was saying that weight control was sooo easy. Please allow me to clarify, it is not easy, specially in a society like ours where energy dense food is cheap and abundant and sedentary life styles are common.
No, an authority on weight control.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:50 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, an authority on weight control.
Also, on pathophysiology, pharmacology, etc.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 PM

16,884 posts, read 13,032,849 times
I would not mind a fat tax either, as long as we can have the goverment be taxed as well, every word of legislation in local, state and national politics shall pay each and every american taxpayer $100 out of the politician personal accounts making the legislation.

after all, we dont want the taxpayers to be paying that, the politicians should out of their own pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies