U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 AM

87,017 posts, read 102,674,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
it isn't about doctors communication or teaching... its about patients following through with it... most of them don't have that willpower or care enough to do it...
With an attitude like that from "care" (using the term loosely) givers, no wonder people don't lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:57 AM

17,817 posts, read 19,829,113 times
Yes, I know of the studies however "small" is left to the eye of the beholder... if you think eating 1 candy bar is a meal, you might as well recommend a starvation diet which is basically what the 5 small meal plan is... no big meals, just basic starvation of calories... sure its effective, but I doubt anyone would be willing to starve to lose weight (mentally stable that is)... Eating and exercise guidelines is probably better handled by a dietitian than a physician... perhaps we should refer patients to dietitians... if so, that's better than saying doctors aren't helping people lose weight... the show should of focused on handling weight problems better by referring patients to dietitians instead of doctors using "words" and not enough teaching...

Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 AM

6,662 posts, read 6,838,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Yes, I know of the studies however "small" is left to the eye of the beholder... if you think eating 1 candy bar is a meal, you might as well recommend a starvation diet which is basically what the 5 small meal plan is... no big meals, just basic starvation of calories... sure its effective, but I doubt anyone would be willing to starve to lose weight (mentally stable that is)... Eating and exercise guidelines is probably better handled by a dietitian than a physician... perhaps we should refer patients to dietitians... if so, that's better than saying doctors aren't helping people lose weight... the show should of focused on handling weight problems better by referring patients to dietitians instead of doctors using "words" and not enough teaching...
The five meal plan is simply spreading the recommended amount of calories throughout the day, as any nutritionist will tell you. It is an inconvenient way to eat if you are a full-time worker, since many jobs make it difficult to space out eating in that way.

I still say accountability is a key component, whether the person sees a doctor or a nutritionist. When you are reporting back to someone, face to face, and have to show what progress you have made, you are more likely to try harder. It is well-known that people work harder for praise than money.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:14 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,917,203 times
Are you serious, when I'm in line at the market, I'm to busy reading
the tabloids to notice who's over weight and what they pay with.
Taxing busybodies is the best cure for your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Lets have a fat tax. We can start by allowing fat people to take only baths instead of showers because for those seriously overweight it will only take 2 inches of water in a tub to fill up the tub, once they put their grossly overweight arse in it.

I am not crazy about subsidizing fat people. I have no problem with food stamps in theory, but how about taking the cheetos, colas, and candy bars out of the items that you can purchase with the foodstamps. We pay for them to have food and then we pay for their medical expenses because they are overweight. It has always been shocking for me to notice that the fattest people in line at the grocery store are usually the ones using food stamps (or purchase cards).

Another wonderful idea, why not require the fat arses to pay for all the alcohol for the poor bas*** wedged into the seat next to them on the airplane.

Why not require all of those morbidly obese people to pay for the popcorn and beverages for the people whose space they encroach on at the movie theaters.

I am for national healthcare, but include in the plan that allows doctors the ability to order patients to lose weight and if they don't for the courts to be allowed to fine them.

Stay tuned for my next post on taxing the ignorant.

Obese population uses 18 percent more food energy than normal population

Old 07-11-2009, 09:34 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,917,203 times
Hotair

Your worried about water too,
I bet your the guy washing his car
3x a week during a water shortage!!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:38 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,918,347 times
I have been watching this thread for as long as its been around, its fascinating.

Let me start by saying that I am currently fit. I weigh 125. I go to the gym most days of the week, even after working a long day. I eat a very healthy diet, avoiding fried foods, high carbo foods, anything processed, etc. This was not always the case.

In 1996, I lost 110 lbs. and I have kept most of it off since then. When folks ask me how I did/do it, there really is only one answer. I found the motivation in my life to do what I had to do. Honestly, I do not think everyone can do it. It is very, very hard to do. I was very overweight for over 20 years and I felt shame, self loathing, guilt, etc. plus I had high blood pressure, I was tired all the time, sleep apnea, you name it.

I love to eat. To be totally truthful, I probably enjoy eating more than anything else on earth. It can be a comfort, a friend, a procrastination tool, a substitute for affection...I could go on and on. Those who struggle with weight know exactly what I mean. "Naturally thin" folks do not get it and anyone who has weight issues cannot explain it to those who do not fight these demons.

That said, if you are lucky enough to find the inner strength, peace, courage, fortitude, etc (whatever you want to call it) it will still be hard to say goodbye to the life style you have lived for as long as you have been overweight. Exercise will become important, yes daily. Walking, the gym, swimming, tennis, whatever, at least a half hour a day, at least 5 days a week. It requires so much self discipline on an ongoing basis that I personally think it defeats many people. Calorie counting becomes mandatory. As someone else said, a pound is equal to 3,500 calories and to reduce you absolutely have to count 'em, no matter what your health issues are. I use a site called FitDay.com to assist me. Its free and it keeps me honest. A "one day at a time" attitude helps too.

For anyone to suggest that fat people are somehow depriving the world of enough food seems pretty silly to me. It is yet another way to bash the overweight. Seems to me that compassion, encouragement and love is what anyone facing this ongoing battle needs. Unless you have personally gone thru this experience, you may not understand just how hard it is.

To those who are on the road (or considering the journey) to a more healthy future, I wish you all the best. Really, you can do it but it will be difficult. Be kind to yourself but be honest with yourself too. Only you control what you put into your mouth.

Sorry if I am long winded and preachy, but I sincerely feel that the gravity of this condition warrants it.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:22 AM

12,439 posts, read 10,316,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I have been watching this thread for as long as its been around, its fascinating.

Let me start by saying that I am currently fit. I weigh 125. I go to the gym most days of the week, even after working a long day. I eat a very healthy diet, avoiding fried foods, high carbo foods, anything processed, etc. This was not always the case.

In 1996, I lost 110 lbs. and I have kept most of it off since then. When folks ask me how I did/do it, there really is only one answer. I found the motivation in my life to do what I had to do. Honestly, I do not think everyone can do it. It is very, very hard to do. I was very overweight for over 20 years and I felt shame, self loathing, guilt, etc. plus I had high blood pressure, I was tired all the time, sleep apnea, you name it.

I love to eat. To be totally truthful, I probably enjoy eating more than anything else on earth. It can be a comfort, a friend, a procrastination tool, a substitute for affection...I could go on and on. Those who struggle with weight know exactly what I mean. "Naturally thin" folks do not get it and anyone who has weight issues cannot explain it to those who do not fight these demons.

That said, if you are lucky enough to find the inner strength, peace, courage, fortitude, etc (whatever you want to call it) it will still be hard to say goodbye to the life style you have lived for as long as you have been overweight. Exercise will become important, yes daily. Walking, the gym, swimming, tennis, whatever, at least a half hour a day, at least 5 days a week. It requires so much self discipline on an ongoing basis that I personally think it defeats many people. Calorie counting becomes mandatory. As someone else said, a pound is equal to 3,500 calories and to reduce you absolutely have to count 'em, no matter what your health issues are. I use a site called FitDay.com to assist me. Its free and it keeps me honest. A "one day at a time" attitude helps too.

For anyone to suggest that fat people are somehow depriving the world of enough food seems pretty silly to me. It is yet another way to bash the overweight. Seems to me that compassion, encouragement and love is what anyone facing this ongoing battle needs. Unless you have personally gone thru this experience, you may not understand just how hard it is.

To those who are on the road (or considering the journey) to a more healthy future, I wish you all the best. Really, you can do it but it will be difficult. Be kind to yourself but be honest with yourself too. Only you control what you put into your mouth.

Sorry if I am long winded and preachy, but I sincerely feel that the gravity of this condition warrants it.
Congratulations!

Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM

12,439 posts, read 10,316,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Hotair

Your worried about water too,
I bet your the guy washing his car
3x a week during a water shortage!!
No, but when I do wash it, I wash it myself by hand. It is another way to get a little bit of exercise. You should try it. Also try...

Picking up a hobby that requires some activity.
Tennis is a great sport - join a league they have one for all levels of ability.
Golf- but only if you walk the course and not ride in the cart.
Join a club that runs in the morning or at lunch
Join A bike club that has riding events
Join a softball league.
Bowling - not so much.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:32 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,618,130 times
The reason people eat terrible food is because it's so much cheaper than decent food. So a fat tax would only exacerbate the issue.

Reform the food industry. Stop giving subsidies to farmers to produce unholy surpluses of corn that gets put into everything. Stop the overproduction of meat and subsidize more healthful food groups so that eating well is the smart and affordable option.

The policies that the government approach this issue with now don't strike me as very beneficial.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:10 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,491,538 times
Crappy food is cheaper? I dont quite agree with that. Go to the grocery store and for $15 you can have more than a weeks worth of fruit and vegatbles. Go to Applebees and you get a burger w/fries and a Soda.

I think the real reason people eat bad food is because it is FAST. Except for a banana or apple most healthy food you have to prepare. Most unhealthy stuff is microwave ready or a 2 minute wait at the drive-thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies