U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:09 PM

7,936 posts, read 13,868,205 times

Advertisements

Skinny does not necessarily equal healthy either. Look at the waifish "supermodels" and other Hollywood types who obsess about weight to the point that they have eating disorders or chain smoke. Look at Michael Jackson, he was a beanpole and as unhealthy as anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:12 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,981,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
What does politics have to do with this? I have seen large people on both sides of the aisle. I guess if you have a fat head you may have a narrow mind.

It's not politics, it is the contradiction of the liberal mind. They are the ones always screaming about tolerance, inclusion and about how they are not bigoted or haters, yet they always prove differant!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:15 PM

6,659 posts, read 6,836,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I think the thing that needs to be cleared up here is (at least from my perspective) a 'fat tax' is not to punish overweight people - which I am one, btw - but in a sense to promote preventative medicine.
If a UHC is to get off the ground, it would behoove all of us to rethink the way we look at health care. Instead of treating the symptoms (diabetes, heart disease etc..) we need to get at the cause of a myriad of health problems. And that is obesity. I'm not making any value judgements here as I do know how hard it is to lose weight and keep it off. But that does not negate the reality that obesity is bad for the individual and bad for a UHC system.
Of course obesity is bad for individuals. Musculoskeletal strain, cardiovascular strain, etc. are either caused or exacerbated by excess weight. The misconception I see in the OP's postings is that obesity comes first, and then the health problems, when it is frequently the other way around. The "you are sick because you are fat" rather than "you are fat because you are sick". I believe that research will show that metabolic and other causes of obesity are far more common than is believed today.

The initial costs to a UHC would be high, but in actuality, a UHC system can help mitigate the level of obesity - the doctor can have you come back for monitoring on a regular basis, not just once a year, lowering costs due to obesity over time. If you have to go see the doctor every 3 months for a weigh-in, blood pressure, and a discussion of your progress (or lack therof), you are going to be feeling more accountable for your day-to-day actions.

12,439 posts, read 10,313,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I guess you did not read the OPs very first insulting bigoted post that started this thread.
Tongue and Cheek humor. Insulting possibly, bigoted no. The focus of my OP was dealing with obesity. If my attempt at some humor offended you, I am sorry that you feel insulted.

I have lived in Colorado and in the south and I am just amazed at the difference in the population between the two areas. People from Colorado are soo much more active. I think that it is not just about food consumption but also about activity.

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I agree about making it easier for them to purchase healthier foods. When I first lived out on my own, I bought more packaged, processed foods because they were cheaper and lasted longer in the cabinets than the fresh food that perishes after only a few days.
My daughter buys a lot of that stuff, too. It's easier when you're cooking for one. It's wasteful to throw out food b/c it has spoiled.

Quote:
Don't you just love all these intolerant non-inclusive bigots? They preach they are tolerant, inclusive and not bigoted but they are the exact opposite.

More proof liberalism is a mental disease.
Who is the liberal here? Who are you referring to?

Quote:
It's not politics, it is the contradiction of the liberal mind. They are the ones always screaming about tolerance, inclusion and about how they are not bigoted or haters, yet they always prove differant!
See above.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:16 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,807,400 times
Quote:

No no no, you've got it all wrong. it is not out of contempt that they propose such things but rather out of love. No smart person would ever let themselves get that way, so fat people must be stupid. it is up to the smart, healthy people to take the ignorant fatties by the hand and show them the way, for the betterment of the people.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Skinny does not necessarily equal healthy either. Look at the waifish "supermodels" and other Hollywood types who obsess about weight to the point that they have eating disorders or chain smoke. Look at Michael Jackson, he was a beanpole and as unhealthy as anyone.
Most of these models qualify by BMI as anorexic. Many thin people smoke, which is far worse for one's health than being overweight.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,655,684 times
my last post on this. i will forgive a person in poor health for not taking care of themselves in a heartbeat if they are kind.
something with all my physical fitness i have not always done.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:20 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,963,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
The topic is very silly, honestly, lets tax hispanics more because beans give you gas and that is bad for the environment. Most people know that really skinny guy who eats like a horse, where does he fit into it? What about personal responsibility, if you don't take care of yourself, your junk is going to break. Not unlike owning a home or a car, if you don't do preventative maintenance, it's going to cost you in the long run. The more we are broke down into little groups, all to be punished in some way for "the greater good" the less liberty we have, and we relenquish more control to a corrupt organization. And no, we shouldn't have to pay for one another, we should do well for others, by doing well for ourselves.

Why are humans the only species bent on saving the shallow end of the gene pool?

Liberals love taking things from the successful to give to the unsuccessful. But they also are diehard evolutionists (you know...only the strong survive? Survival of the fittest?)

Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM

12,439 posts, read 10,313,735 times
Quote:
I am the OP and I would not consider myself to be liberal. Based on the some of the posters here. I believe Republicans would support the tax if there was a UHC. My guess is that they are not overweight or feel that it is something they can control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies