Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:35 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times

Advertisements

Boy, I sure hope I don't get hit with this "fat disease" that's beyond my control with nothing I can possibly hope to do about it. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
I'm Fat by Weird Al Yankovic

Old 07-09-2009, 08:16 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Boy, I sure hope I don't get hit with this "fat disease" that's beyond my control with nothing I can possibly hope to do about it. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones.
You know what? I hope you don't get any of the number of things that make losing weight difficult (if not impossible), too. I would not wish that on anyone. It opens you up for ridicule as people make assumptions about how you live based on how you look.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Yes, it is well documented that as you lose mass your base metabolic rate also decreases, so you require fewer calories. In the real world it means you should reach a plateau in which you stop losing weight. A calorie (actually we are talking about kilo calories here) is a scientific measurement of energy and does not change because of the presence or absence of a test tube.
I'm not talking about dieters who lose weight. There are many cases of dieters who do not lose weight with calorie restriction, but it will indeed lower your metabolism as the body goes into starvation mode.

Scientific measures of energy are more difficult to quantify in a biological organism that has hormonal defenses against its perception of starvation.

Do you think that the 95% of people who regain their lost weight are simply lazy overeaters? I think this is too simplistic a view, and that other factors need to be taken into account.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I'm not talking about dieters who lose weight. There are many cases of dieters who do not lose weight with calorie restriction, but it will indeed lower your metabolism as the body goes into starvation mode.
So, are you suggesting that once weight is gained there is no way to lose it? Seriously?

Quote:
Scientific measures of energy are more difficult to quantify in a biological organism that has hormonal defenses against its perception of starvation.
A calorie is defined as a specific amount of energy. Its does not matter what the source or use of that energy is, ok? It doesn't change the definition. Fat contains a known amount of calories. Still with me? The laws of thermodynamics state that energy cannot be destroyed or created, so to store a pound of fat, 3500 or more calories must be eaten. Still there? Hormones and perceptions of starvation do not change this fact.

Quote:
Do you think that the 95% of people who regain their lost weight are simply lazy overeaters? I think this is too simplistic a view, and that other factors need to be taken into account.
Over eaters? Yes, there is no doubt about that. Lazy? Maybe. A simplistic view would be that people are powerless to control their weight.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Actually it is that simple. Regardless of whether someone has a medical condition or not, fat is stored energy. The body absolutely cannot violate the laws of thermodynamics. To gain a pound of fat one must have a surplus of at least 3500 calories( actually more as no energy conversion is %100 efficient ).
Of course! That's why a couple of years ago when I was ingesting a mere 1,000 calories a day, walking wherever I went, swimming twice a day and trying to lose a few extra pounds, I actually GAINED 10 pounds in a month!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Of course! That's why a couple of years ago when I was ingesting a mere 1,000 calories a day, walking wherever I went, swimming twice a day and trying to lose a few extra pounds, I actually GAINED 10 pounds in a month!
Look, if you are going to lie about something you should at least make sure that your claim is physically possible. Yours isn't.

Ok lets do the math. ( yeah I know, math is hard! )

You gained 10 pounds in a month (we'll use 30 days for a month since you didn't specify which month)

1 pound of fat requires 3500 calories of energy
So you must have consumed at least 35,000 calories in that month for an average of 1167 calories a day over your base metabolic rate.

1000 calories a day would not be enough calories to gain 10 pounds in a month even if ALL of your energy was converted into fat, which of course it cannot be. The most that could be gained on 30,000 calories ( 1000 x 30 ) is 8.6 pounds. ( 30,000/3500 )

Sorry, your claim cannot be true. Would you like to try again?

Last edited by Lucidus; 07-09-2009 at 10:34 AM..

Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I walk a lot and also swim to keep off the extra pounds. Your metabolisim does slow down during menopause (women, well maybe some men) so it becomes more important to watch your caloric intake even more so. There is a couple of great web sites that you can use to monitor your calories and my daughter uses Spark People. She has lost 20 lbs and is looking great. She also has a medical condition that makes it even harder to take off pounds so it isnt always about how much you eat.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Look, if you are going to lie about something you should at least make sure that your claim is physically possible. Yours isn't.

Ok lets do the math. ( yeah I know, math is hard! )

You gained 10 pounds in a month (we'll use 30 days for a month since you didn't specify which month)

1 pound of fat requires 3500 calories of energy
So you must have consumed at least 35,000 calories in that month for an average of 1167 calories a day over your base metabolic rate.

1000 calories a day would not be enough calories to gain 10 pounds in a month even if ALL of your energy was converted into fat, which of course it cannot be. The most that could be gained on 30,000 calories ( 1000 x 30 ) is 8.6 pounds. ( 30,000/3500 )

Sorry, your claim cannot be true. Would you like to try again?
Did you also know that some cancers actually cause bloating and sudden weight gain? Great math, but you don't read much do you?

One more thing.... crash diets, or starvation diets even with working out can cause one to go into survival mode and keep on the extra weight and even add weight at first.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Did you also know that some cancers actually cause bloating and sudden weight gain? Great math, but you don't read much do you?

One more thing.... crash diets, or starvation diets even with working out can cause one to go into survival mode and keep on the extra weight and even add weight at first.
Despite what some people are posting, it takes a while to put on 100 lbs of extra weight. You just don't wake up one morning....and all of the sudden you are 100lbs overweight. Most people have the slinky effect, they notice that there clothes are not starting to fit and they start dieting and/or exercising. The minority of people just continue to buy larger clothes and continue to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies