Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,278,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Eating disorders not a partisan issue. Overweight and anorexic on both sides of the "aisle". Leaner and thinner people tend to be higher up on the payscale, a turnaround from the past where it was a class indicator to be rotund. However, obesity definitely on the rise and in epidemic proportions here. Maybe "fat farms" would be a popular new endeavor and money maker for the enterprising.
Fat people should demand affirmative action, in fact, I propose the opposite of the OP, a skinny tax since those doing the hiring are obviously bias against the gravity impaired.

Free the fatties!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
So if there's going to be a "fat tax," what do you do with people who are just genetically obese? Do we tax them even though they are born that way?

Why is it OK to slam overweight people, yet if the same insults were hurled towards gays, blacks, muslims, hispanics, etc, it would be deemed "hate speech?????"

Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yep.
My thyroid went out about 12 years ago, completely shut down.
I developed life-threatening allergies to aldehydes and petrochemicals.
Gained 36 pounds in 6 weeks.
Obviously it's my fault.
I'm active and eat nutritiously (am vegetarian), yet I'm fat.

So assuming that health problems occur and cause other problems in people, let's just look at how we can make them more miserable.

Your nastiness is punishment enough.

ASSuming again. I use perhaps 1 tsp sugar every 4-5 days in a cup of coffee.
Not all fat people overeat.
Duh.

Again, you ASSume everyone is the same.
Some people do all of this and more, yet have other health problems that affect their bodies.
O.K. exemption for bad thyroid. That is less than 5% of the overweight population. 95% have no excuse.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
No excuse?
There are problems other than thyroid.
Here's an example, my friend had a transplant, his body type changed.
Want him to be taxed?

Good thing you're perfect and all-knowing.
Good thing I don't have hateful people like you in my life.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:35 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Do we tax them even though they are born that way?
Born obese? I feel sorry for their mothers. Ouch!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 AM

769 posts, read 887,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Why is it OK to slam overweight people, yet if the same insults were hurled towards gays, blacks, muslims, hispanics, etc, it would be deemed "hate speech?????"

Because it is not ok to slam someone for something they don't choose. Which the given exception for obesity due to medical condition, the majority of our rising "obesity epidemic" is all due to person choice. I'm perfectly fine with that until other people's personal choices start to affect, that is what this is about.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I'm fine with a fat tax (though wouldn't it be great to be able to implement a douchebag tax as well? Ah, I can dream.....)

Still one thing about your post struck me - food stamps. Years ago I worked in a grocery store and yes, people on food stamps bought all the boxed processed foods. But there is a reason for this - its cheaper. They get more bang for their stamp so to speak. If the foodstamp program was revamped to provide more money but have the requirement that the people on it could only buy nutritous foods similiar to the WIC program, well I think that would be a good tradeoff.
I agree about making it easier for them to purchase healthier foods. When I first lived out on my own, I bought more packaged, processed foods because they were cheaper and lasted longer in the cabinets than the fresh food that perishes after only a few days.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Don't you just love all these intolerant non-inclusive bigots? They preach they are tolerant, inclusive and not bigoted but they are the exact opposite.

More proof liberalism is a mental disease.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
O.K. exemption for bad thyroid. That is less than 5% of the overweight population. 95% have no excuse.
Classical Endocrine Diseases Causing Obesity

Quote:
Obesity is associated with several endocrine diseases, including common ones such as hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syndrome to rare ones such as Cushing’s syndrome, central hypothyroidism and hypothalamic disorders.
And that's just endocrine disorders. There are multiple causes of obesity, including disability and medications. And, yes, many obese people are sedentary overeaters.

You have taken it upon yourself to judge those who are overweight and/or obese, and I find that very offensive. I fight every day to lose weight. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. Overall, I'm winning, but it is a long, VERY slow battle.

I have PCOS and a bad hip. Still, I eat a nutritionist-recommended 1700 calories per day and go to the gym 3-5 times a week, plus counting steps with a pedometer to keep my activity up. Thing is, you can't tell that by looking at me. All you will see is "fat woman", and make your judgment that I must be lazy, and stuff myself with junk food all day.

How shallow.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
First of all it is not "f**". It is plus sized, heavy set, full figured, obese, or overweight.

Second of all yes there needs to be a tax on them. It just might save our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies