Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 AM

351 posts, read 374,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Just change the names in your post, and you've described the democrats during Bush's presidency. And instead of talk show hosts like Hannity and Limbaugh, there were liberal Hollywood loons doing all of the criticizing and smearing.
Both sides can take their share of criticism here. Did i say that Dems are any better than the Reps. The problem is that we are at a crossroads in America right now. We are in the midst of a Financial meltdown. Our health system is broken beyond repair and needs to be rebuilt from the foundations up and we are at war with religous fanatics. Don't you realise what fuel these "self rightous" reporters are putting on the flames of hatred around the world for America. They are giving confidence to our enemies and telling them that America is split and falling apart. When i was fighting our enemies in Iraq, the last thing i wanted them to know was the logistics of my platoon or whether we were down to our last few rounds of ammo.
Jumping up and down, spitting venom and being hateful is the sign of a scared individual who is losing.
We should all be pulling together to rebuild America not pulling America apart just because your party is no longer in power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:20 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,370,184 times
Hey, here's a thought: how about the rise of the Independent Party? You know, people who don't buy into the self-serving rhetoric, whitewashing and hate on both sides, people who would rather do what's right for America than what's right for special interest groups and their own pet projects, people who can think outside the established party lines.

I think it's time for some original thought in America. Hard to do that when you're dancing to the same ol' party tunes. Is there a Mr. (or Ms) Smith out there? It's time s/he went to Washington.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,726,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
Both sides can take their share of criticism here. Did i say that Dems are any better than the Reps. The problem is that we are at a crossroads in America right now. We are in the midst of a Financial meltdown. Our health system is broken beyond repair and needs to be rebuilt from the foundations up and we are at war with religous fanatics. Don't you realise what fuel these "self rightous" reporters are putting on the flames of hatred around the world for America. They are giving confidence to our enemies and telling them that America is split and falling apart. When i was fighting our enemies in Iraq, the last thing i wanted them to know was the logistics of my platoon or whether we were down to our last few rounds of ammo.
Jumping up and down, spitting venom and being hateful is the sign of a scared individual who is losing.
We should all be pulling together to rebuild America not pulling America apart just because your party is no longer in power.
I agree. The crises our country faces today are not partisan crises. The unemployed aren't just Democrats or just Republicans, they are people, just like us. Whenever I hear another friend has lost a job, I can't help but think that next week it could be me.

The wars we are fighting, we can discuss ad nauseum about why we are there, but the reality is that American soldiers, liberal or conservative, from every corner of our country, are risking their lives on our behalf. I'll be the first to say that condemning the war is not unpatriotic, it is so utterly American to express our opinions that we take it for granted.

But the need to make healthcare more affordable in this country, by whatever means, is a real and critical need. The need to pull together and get us on the road to economic recovery is a real and critical need. The need to defend our country against terrorism is a real and critical need. The need to become less dependent on oil is a real and critical need. We are all aware that things need to be done. We are incredibly fortunate to live in a country where we have the opportunity to have some input in those policies. So why do waste that opportunity in finger-pointing and assigning blame, instead of looking to the future and the potential that exists? Why do we choose to waste our energy hating one another, instead of recognizing our differences and the fact that those differences can make us stronger when we act together, to address our problems, to direct our futures?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I agree. The crises our country faces today are not partisan crises. The unemployed aren't just Democrats or just Republicans, they are people, just like us. Whenever I hear another friend has lost a job, I can't help but think that next week it could be me.

The wars we are fighting, we can discuss ad nauseum about why we are there, but the reality is that American soldiers, liberal or conservative, from every corner of our country, are risking their lives on our behalf. I'll be the first to say that condemning the war is not unpatriotic, it is so utterly American to express our opinions that we take it for granted.

But the need to make healthcare more affordable in this country, by whatever means, is a real and critical need. The need to pull together and get us on the road to economic recovery is a real and critical need. The need to defend our country against terrorism is a real and critical need. The need to become less dependent on oil is a real and critical need. We are all aware that things need to be done. We are incredibly fortunate to live in a country where we have the opportunity to have some input in those policies. So why do waste that opportunity in finger-pointing and assigning blame, instead of looking to the future and the potential that exists? Why do we choose to waste our energy hating one another, instead of recognizing our differences and the fact that those differences can make us stronger when we act together, to address our problems, to direct our futures?
You have it right.
I have read quite a few threads on here and i see so much anger and hatred. It is pointless.
We used to say "Don't get mad..get even". If you don't like something then do something constructive not destructive.
America is the Country i fight for and love. America is the Country that we should be saving. Unfortunately today, self interest rules many Americans. This is no longer capitalism it is now just greed, pure and simple. self interest is why we are now in China's pocket.
It is a pity that many Americans now just want to fight other Americans just because they support a different political party. They should be fighting our common enemies. When we are sent into the field, we don't decide we aint going because the President who is sending us is not from the party we voted for. We fight for America and no matter whether Dem or Rep, the President is our commander in chief and deserves and gets our loyalty and respect.

Last edited by hitchcock; 07-09-2009 at 09:50 AM..

Old 07-09-2009, 09:50 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,720,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Thank was really interesting, thanks for posting it.

I've always known about the connection between the "talk" and the "simple minded", nobody can deny it and the "talkers" actually do understand it and use it to their advantage. Simple minded doesn't mean stupid, but it does mean SIMPLE. They only know what they know, and can't imagine anything else is relevant. That might work in their life but when you are dealing with the bigger issues nothing is simple, and that is when some people get lost. It's nicer to keep your mind on what you can understand and what has worked for you in your own life and nearly impossible to grasp that it just might not work in all situations, for all people, or that things not known or understood by you could have an impact.

I'm going to check that book out too.
This is standard fare for liberals. They see everthing as complicated, no black or white, only shades of gray. And they think themselves smart because they can talk "on the one hand...on the other hand." Obama did that in his Cairo speech drawing a moral equivalence between the Holocaust and the Israeli/Palestininian conflict.

The fact of the matter is that while issues may be complex principles are not. The solution to complex issues must start with a statement of principles that will guide the crafting of solutions to complex problems. But that's not how liberals operate. They make it up as they go along. Who needs principles? They're so simple, you see, and we are too smart to bother with such simplicities!

Case in point: illegal immigration. Principle: a nation has a right to control its borders and to determine who comes in and who doesn't. Liberals just skip the principle and start spouting that no human being is illegal, blah, blah, blah. You get the point.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
We don't have to go to a Nazi camp to understand the rise of Hitler and the Third Reich. We can study the methods that they used to desensitize people to the atrocities that they were about to commit and the atrocities that they did commit.

It all starts with identifying scapegoats, starting to blame the scapegoats for one's woes, and then finally brainwashing segments of the population to think that they are morally and ethically better than the scapegoats; that the scapegoats shouldn't even exist. Again, it starts with taking a group of people and making them "less" than you are, making them less human, less worthy of existance. Once this is accomplished, all sorts of violence and hate can be perpetrated with little regret or remorse.
You've just described what Obama did in order to marginalize "the wealthy." He may not be putting them in concentration camps but he is about confiscating their wealth because they are the "evil rich." And who's going to lift a finger to defend the "evil rich" from confiscatory taxes?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Nice try but it won't wash.

People such as yourself attempt to state that AF is the reason EVERY minority has a job other than house servant.

Cracks me up when people use prejudice compied with ignorance of AA to make statements such as, "unqualified minorities" will be hired, we have to hire 10 more because of "quotas", and the best one"they automatically get a passing score on every test"!

The prejudice of certain members of society lead to the need for AA.

Study history, be objective and then come back and tell me that it's always been the job goes to the best qualified!!
I wouldn't say every minority but possibly a significant number of high-achieving minorities (outside the sports and entertainment fields). Clarence Thomas acknowledged that Affirmative Action was a factor in his rise to prominence. Sotomayor has called herself an "affirmative action baby." Michele Obama clearly is a product of affirmative action and likely Barack, as well (but we won't know because his schoold records were never released).

Old 07-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
This is standard fare for liberals. They see everthing as complicated, no black or white, only shades of gray. And they think themselves smart because they can talk "on the one hand...on the other hand." Obama did that in his Cairo speech drawing a moral equivalence between the Holocaust and the Israeli/Palestininian conflict.

The fact of the matter is that while issues may be complex principles are not. The solution to complex issues must start with a statement of principles that will guide the crafting of solutions to complex problems. But that's not how liberals operate. They make it up as they go along. Who needs principles? They're so simple, you see, and we are too smart to bother with such simplicities!

Case in point: illegal immigration. Principle: a nation has a right to control its borders and to determine who comes in and who doesn't. Liberals just skip the principle and start spouting that no human being is illegal, blah, blah, blah. You get the point.
Here we go again..Party bashing.
The real "principle" is that we are Americans first, party members second and not the other way around as some would like us to believe on here.
Maybe it's easy to blame your opposing party for all of America's ills. Maybe it fills some need in some people to just hatefully attack the opposing party, no matter what they do. Whatever the reason it is just plain Dumb! Both parties get things wrong and both parties get things right.
It is our job as Americans to vote out a party when they get it wrong. It is our job as Americans to debate a argument but not just criticise for the sake of criticising... We could all do that, no matter what party you belong to.
As far as immigration is concerned, the ball was dropped a long time ago. Bush really should have made it a high priority security issue as soon as we went into Iraq or after 9/11, but he didn't. He was my man but he let us all down. Obama is now my commander in chief and he has a lot of mess to clear up. If he fails we can vote him out. No good attacking a enemy until you have enough intel on them to launch a succesful attack. No point criticising Obama until he has been in office long enough for us to form a real opinion about his leadership. He has only just become President so let's wait and see if he deserves our respect or our distain. All this anti Obama hate campaign is way too premature.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:08 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,673,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
These guys love America and only want the best for the country!
If you hate these cats you are unamerican period!
They speak only truth and love their country.
If you watch and listen to FOX you know it's all creabile
and truthful.
"These guys" being Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity, and Beck.

"These guys" love their jobs which require them to pursue a lost cause. They use nonsensical logic and appeal to the people who don't want to be bothered with the facts. Those are the only people left who buy into this mindless propaganda. Just listen to"these guys" questions of a so called guest. The question is always a long detailed description of twisted facts and is really a disguised piece of brain washing propaganda!

I am afraid your post demonstrates the prototype of their viewers/listeners.

Last edited by jojajn; 07-09-2009 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: sentence

Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,726,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I wouldn't say every minority but possibly a significant number of high-achieving minorities (outside the sports and entertainment fields). Clarence Thomas acknowledged that Affirmative Action was a factor in his rise to prominence. Sotomayor has called herself an "affirmative action baby." Michele Obama clearly is a product of affirmative action and likely Barack, as well (but we won't know because his schoold records were never released).
Even Ruth Bader Ginsburg acknowledges that she benefited from Affirmative Action. Does the fact that employers, seeking compliance with Civil Rights legislation, sought token females on their staffs, make her achievements less admirable? Does Sotomayor's entrance into Princeton make her success there less worthy? I'm not an advocate of Affirmative Action, but even if someone is given an opportunity because of their race or gender or religion, if they take that opportunity and transform their lives, does the reason for the opportunity take away from their hard work or talent or intelligence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies