Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
Here we go again..Party bashing.
The real "principle" is that we are Americans first, party members second and not the other way around as some would like us to believe on here.
Maybe it's easy to blame your opposing party for all of America's ills. Maybe it fills some need in some people to just hatefully attack the opposing party, no matter what they do. Whatever the reason it is just plain Dumb! Both parties get things wrong and both parties get things right.
It is our job as Americans to vote out a party when they get it wrong. It is our job as Americans to debate a argument but not just criticise for the sake of criticising... We could all do that, no matter what party you belong to.
As far as immigration is concerned, the ball was dropped a long time ago. Bush really should have made it a high priority security issue as soon as we went into Iraq or after 9/11, but he didn't. He was my man but he let us all down. Obama is now my commander in chief and he has a lot of mess to clear up. If he fails we can vote him out. No good attacking a enemy until you have enough intel on them to launch a succesful attack. No point criticising Obama until he has been in office long enough for us to form a real opinion about his leadership. He has only just become President so let's wait and see if he deserves our respect or our distain. All this anti Obama hate campaign is way too premature.
How long must you wait when you see a house burning before you yell 'Fire?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I agree. The crises our country faces today are not partisan crises. The unemployed aren't just Democrats or just Republicans, they are people, just like us. Whenever I hear another friend has lost a job, I can't help but think that next week it could be me.

The wars we are fighting, we can discuss ad nauseum about why we are there, but the reality is that American soldiers, liberal or conservative, from every corner of our country, are risking their lives on our behalf. I'll be the first to say that condemning the war is not unpatriotic, it is so utterly American to express our opinions that we take it for granted.

But the need to make healthcare more affordable in this country, by whatever means, is a real and critical need. The need to pull together and get us on the road to economic recovery is a real and critical need. The need to defend our country against terrorism is a real and critical need. The need to become less dependent on oil is a real and critical need. We are all aware that things need to be done. We are incredibly fortunate to live in a country where we have the opportunity to have some input in those policies. So why do waste that opportunity in finger-pointing and assigning blame, instead of looking to the future and the potential that exists? Why do we choose to waste our energy hating one another, instead of recognizing our differences and the fact that those differences can make us stronger when we act together, to address our problems, to direct our futures?

Absolutely! We can no longer ignore and put off addressing these problems. Otherwise, we will leave a much worse mess than a deficit for our children!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
You've just described what Obama did in order to marginalize "the wealthy." He may not be putting them in concentration camps but he is about confiscating their wealth because they are the "evil rich." And who's going to lift a finger to defend the "evil rich" from confiscatory taxes?
This post exemplifies the topic of this thread!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
Both sides can take their share of criticism here. Did i say that Dems are any better than the Reps. The problem is that we are at a crossroads in America right now. We are in the midst of a Financial meltdown. Our health system is broken beyond repair and needs to be rebuilt from the foundations up and we are at war with religous fanatics. Don't you realise what fuel these "self rightous" reporters are putting on the flames of hatred around the world for America. They are giving confidence to our enemies and telling them that America is split and falling apart. When i was fighting our enemies in Iraq, the last thing i wanted them to know was the logistics of my platoon or whether we were down to our last few rounds of ammo.
Jumping up and down, spitting venom and being hateful is the sign of a scared individual who is losing.
We should all be pulling together to rebuild America not pulling America apart just because your party is no longer in power.
First I want to thank you for your service to our country. And I completely understand your point about how the perception that this nation is divided emboldens our enemies. Having fought in Viet Nam when the peaceniks in this country were doing everything in their power to bring this country to its knees I know that helped prolong a winable war. The same people who marched in the streets in the 60's and 70's now control Congress, the schools and the media. You'll notice that there has been no criticism from the right about Obama's handling of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. If anything, it's come from the left. On the other hand the notion that criticizing the Obama administration and the Democrat Congress over domestic policy and non-war related foreign policies is "spitting venom and being hateful" is purely a partisan reaction and I reject it out of hand. But speaking of "spitting venom" did you happen to see Rosie O'Donnell and Keith Olbermann during the Bush administration?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
You'll notice that there has been no criticism from the right about Obama's handling of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. If anything, it's come from the left. On the other hand the notion that criticizing the Obama administration and the Democrat Congress over domestic policy and non-war related foreign policies is "spitting venom and being hateful" is purely a partisan reaction and I reject it out of hand.

JimMe, there are numerous threads in this forum criticizing Obama's handling of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I can assure you that the bulk of criticism is from people on the right, not from people on the left.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
I agree. The crises our country faces today are not partisan crises. The unemployed aren't just Democrats or just Republicans, they are people, just like us. Whenever I hear another friend has lost a job, I can't help but think that next week it could be me.

The wars we are fighting, we can discuss ad nauseum about why we are there, but the reality is that American soldiers, liberal or conservative, from every corner of our country, are risking their lives on our behalf. I'll be the first to say that condemning the war is not unpatriotic, it is so utterly American to express our opinions that we take it for granted.

But the need to make healthcare more affordable in this country, by whatever means, is a real and critical need. The need to pull together and get us on the road to economic recovery is a real and critical need. The need to defend our country against terrorism is a real and critical need. The need to become less dependent on oil is a real and critical need. We are all aware that things need to be done. We are incredibly fortunate to live in a country where we have the opportunity to have some input in those policies. So why do waste that opportunity in finger-pointing and assigning blame, instead of looking to the future and the potential that exists? Why do we choose to waste our energy hating one another, instead of recognizing our differences and the fact that those differences can make us stronger when we act together, to address our problems, to direct our futures?
DAYUM!!!! Good post!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Even Ruth Bader Ginsburg acknowledges that she benefited from Affirmative Action. Does the fact that employers, seeking compliance with Civil Rights legislation, sought token females on their staffs, make her achievements less admirable? Does Sotomayor's entrance into Princeton make her success there less worthy? I'm not an advocate of Affirmative Action, but even if someone is given an opportunity because of their race or gender or religion, if they take that opportunity and transform their lives, does the reason for the opportunity take away from their hard work or talent or intelligence?
If you have two people working the same job making the same pay who want to buy a $5,000 used vehicle, and the government gives one of those people $1,000 and nothing to the other. Would you say they both had an "equal" opportunity to buy the vehicle?

Obviously if someone is being subsidized while others are not, their so-called "hard-work or talent" is not equal to the contributions of those who are not being subsidized.

Affirmative Action tells minorities and women that they are unable to make it in the real world without government assistance. Personally, I find that to be prejudiced, demeaning, and insulting. Apparently Affirmative Action supporters don't find it insulting, unless you actually apply the label they created to an Affirmative Action recipient, like the President.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:37 PM

351 posts, read 375,798 times
Quote:
First I want to thank you for your service to our country. And I completely understand your point about how the perception that this nation is divided emboldens our enemies. Having fought in Viet Nam when the peaceniks in this country were doing everything in their power to bring this country to its knees I know that helped prolong a winable war. The same people who marched in the streets in the 60's and 70's now control Congress, the schools and the media. You'll notice that there has been no criticism from the right about Obama's handling of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. If anything, it's come from the left. On the other hand the notion that criticizing the Obama administration and the Democrat Congress over domestic policy and non-war related foreign policies is "spitting venom and being hateful" is purely a partisan reaction and I reject it out of hand. But speaking of "spitting venom" did you happen to see Rosie O'Donnell and Keith Olbermann during the Bush administration?
Being military i have watched with interest how previous wars have been won and lost. One thing i admire about Europe in WW2 was the overwhelming support given to the troops by their loved ones at home. There was no reporters trying to be clever and look at all the reasons the war was wrong. Support was 100%. This was like having a huge army at home fighting the war with you and it unsettled the enemy. The slogans of the day were things like "loose lips sink ships". When you are fighting any war it puts added strain and tension on the troops if they feel that they are not supported at home. No matter whether Dem or Rep. our guys don't need to feel that they have not only the enemy against them but the powerful press too. It is hard enough fighting these fanatics but to have a camera up your butt every minute of the day puts our guys under a lot of pressure. War is a nasty business and sometimes we have to act according to how our enemy behaves. Don't tie our hands behind our backs and expect us to win. To people like Hannity i say.."Stop trying to be a wise guy, it helps no one"

Old 07-09-2009, 05:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Being military i have watched with interest how previous wars have been won and lost. One thing i admire about Europe in WW2 was the overwhelming support given to the troops by their loved ones at home. There was no reporters trying to be clever and look at all the reasons the war was wrong. Support was 100%. This was like having a huge army at home fighting the war with you and it unsettled the enemy. The slogans of the day were things like "loose lips sink ships". When you are fighting any war it puts added strain and tension on the troops if they feel that they are not supported at home. No matter whether Dem or Rep. our guys don't need to feel that they have not only the enemy against them but the powerful press too. It is hard enough fighting these fanatics but to have a camera up your butt every minute of the day puts our guys under a lot of pressure. War is a nasty business and sometimes we have to act according to how our enemy behaves. Don't tie our hands behind our backs and expect us to win. To people like Hannity i say.."Stop trying to be a wise guy, it helps no one"
As a Vietnam vet all I can say is "deja vu." But you are wrong about one thing, it is very much a partisan issue. You will never see Republicans calling our troops "NAZIs" or "Cold Blooded Murders" or accuse them of "terrorizing women and children in the dead of night" or "intentionally air-raiding civilians" like the current President has said. Republicans actually support the military, unlike Democrats who just provide lip-service and then stab the military in the back the first opportunity they get.

To people like Hannity I say "thank you for your generous support of the families of fallen veterans, keep up the good work."

Old 07-09-2009, 06:00 PM

843 posts, read 1,297,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Very true.

I have witnessed friends and relatives, who have listened to Fox news and Rush Limbaugh, become more and more angry and closed minded over the past 8-10 years. Some friends are conservative Christians with enough anger and discrimination to run a Nazi camp!
Nazi's were leftists.
None of the policies or beliefs of Nazi's could be considered conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies