U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM

9,043 posts, read 11,603,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Aha - so you admit your goal is to disenfranchise, exclude, close off, refuse, say no, discourage, hurt, alienate, for whatever sick, sad, selfish, cruel pleasure that would give you. And you'd wreck your entire country in exchange for your psychological payoff.

You're not interested in your fellow citizens actually learning the meaning of the answers to these questions, having good educations and being interested in learning -- what you want to do is feel superior to someone...somehow..by any means....Sounds like a classic Republican voter to me

Thanks for admitting anyway.
Nope, each and every person has the opportunity to study up at their local library, free of charge, to earn the privilege (not the right) to vote. I would be no different, as even my vast knowledge would not necessitate my passing such a test. Plus, we can make it a little more fair in that there is no pass/fail. Your vote is completely weighted based on your score. So, even if you only get one answer right out of ten, your vote counts as 10% of your capacity. Disenfranchising those who choose to remain stupid and ignorant is completely Darwinian. Since most overeducated pseudo-intellectual liberals admire Darwin's work, they would agree with me (unless they are hypocrites of course and only view the concept of Darwinism as a convenient tool to fight organized religion with).

I challenge you to offer me a reason why disenfranchising those who CHOOSE to remain ignorant would wreck the country? The stupid and ignorant often breed the most, so their sheer numbers must be mitigated somehow, to avoid depleting the treasury through voting in candidates who would offer false promises of mo' money. A weighted voting system would accomplish this.

I don't call myself the "conservative elitist" for nothing

Last edited by ViewFromThePeak; 07-08-2009 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:59 PM

786 posts, read 925,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Jesse Jackson disagrees because he believes it's not the Constitution as written. You need an amendment crystalizing the privilege.
Sure I'd go for that. I don't think we should take the right to vote away from any US citizen. If you commit a felony, your punishment is going to prison. A person shouldn't be punished twice for the same crime.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM

3,983 posts, read 3,381,083 times
Should Voters be Required to Take a Basic Knowledge Test?

Well of course ..

They don't teach;

Basic Economics
Basic Current Events
Basic U.S. History
Basic World History

in schools anymore, so a basic knowledge test should be the order of the day. (teaching folks how to read would be a good idea too)

Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,841,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
if voters had to take a knowledge test, democrats could never get elected
Funny, the educational level of Dems is higher than Rethugs.
Democrats & Liberals: Education: Kryptonite To Republicans?''
That said, I believe these requirements were struck down by SCOTUS decades ago.
If you're a citizen, and meet the requirements of age, etc. you can vote.

http://www.census.gov/population/soc...2004/tab13.pdf

Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,841,505 times
Default I guess you'd fail the test

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
That sounds like a racist statement to me. Are you somehow suggesting that african american's would be disproportionately affected?

I said NOTHING about property ownership or racial requirements. I didn't say require college degrees. I said BASIC info that ANYONE can go to a public library and find in two hours. Did you even READ my posts?

I am going to assume that you oppose this idea because you don't think you would pass a basic test.
Why do you think voter laws have been struck down, they affect AAs, women and minorities the most.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:19 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,654,209 times
Quote:
Where in the Constitution is this prohibited?

It's also a state issue and the federal government can't do squat about it.
Okay, here's a quick constitutional law class for you:

In 1949, for Southern whites who wanted to preserve segregation and the traditional racial dynamic in the South, the Supreme Courts decision in Smith v. Allwright and intensified efforts on the part of the NAACP to remove legal obstacles for black voters were frightening changes.

In response, Alabama legislators crafted a state constitutional provision “as a device for eliminating Negro applicants,” a literacy test that required any applicant for voter registration to be able to read and understand any part of the Constitution. Although the tests applied to both blacks and whites, they excluded more African-Americans from registration because of poor education and were frequently administered in a discriminatory fashion by requiring African-American applicants to pass more difficult tests.

The U.S. Supreme Court in Davis v. Schnell, affirmed a lower court ruling that had held unconstitutional Alabama’s literacy test. The Court found that the Alabama constitutional provision was clearly intended to deny the vote to African Americans and thus violated the Fifteenth Amendment.

Since this decision, it's become accepted that no form of voter "testing" is allowable under the constitution. This is now undisputed black letter law.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
God;can you imagine what the different groups would say about the test. In this country you can even have a firemans test that is not brought to court if some group doesn't score well.If you know your history England had a similar requirement. Only they based it on success of becoming a land ower. Maybe the fairest would be that if you don't pay money into the revenuses to shoud ahve a say how its spent.Thats would show that 69% would be eliminated from voting because they get more services than they apy taxes and 505 pay none at all on the fedral level.Kind of a ;if you don't have any money in the pot ;you don't play.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,223,843 times
Should voters be required to take a basic knowledge test?

A resounding no. Everyone has the right to vote - intelligent, unintelligent, educated, uneducated.

It could really start to lead us down a slippery slope.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 07-08-2009 at 11:09 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 PM

38,894 posts, read 20,179,975 times
Quote:
The politicians can promise anything to the people. The intelligent, of which there are fewer, are disenfranchised by the sheer majority of the ignorant breed-like-rabbit folks who believe the lies. This goes equally for rednecks as well as minorities.
Imagine the change if every voter actually understood the issues versus just blindly believing whatever slogan the candidates throws at them? Although I'm not sure about denying anyone the right to vote, I do think lots of harm have been done by folks voting on issues that they clearly do not understand. Not only that, we are not even holding our elected officials accountable either. Something needs to be done to educate folks to help them become more informed prior to voting.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 PM

38,894 posts, read 20,179,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No. What makes me mad is the low voter turnout. In a participatory government, like the US, voter turnout is essential if we expect our government to be representative of the people.

I could not care less who someone votes for, as long as they vote. It is their civic duty as citizens.
I agree that everyone should take the right of voting seriously but is it too much to ask that people first INFORM themselves prior to voting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies