Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:18 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,315,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The politicians can promise anything to the people. The intelligent, of which there are fewer, are disenfranchised by the sheer majority of the ignorant breed-like-rabbit folks who believe the lies. This goes equally for rednecks as well as minorities.
Wow! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,410,459 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
If you knew the first thing about history, you would know that my comment makes perfect sense. Anyone advocating a "literacy test" is living in the late 1800s.

Why don't you try to learn something for once?

Literacy test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Wow. Were you home schooled or something?
I don't see anything in this amendment guaranteeing the right to vote. I do see however the interpretation:

The Fifteenth Amendment is the third of the Reconstruction Amendments. This amendment prohibits the states and the federal government from using a citizen's race,[1] color or previous status as a slave as a voting qualification.

Nope, don't see the explicit right.

As for homeschooling, I managed to get my Ph. D. despite all of the public schooling I received.
Whatever school you attended ought to have their accreditation revoked.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,828,070 times
[quote=ViewFromThePeak;9666305]
Quote:
If you knew the first thing about history, you would know that my comment makes perfect sense. Anyone advocating a "literacy test" is living in the late 1800s.

Why don't you try to learn something for once?

Literacy test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Wow. Were you home schooled or something?

I don't see anything in this amendment guaranteeing the right to vote. I do see however the interpretation:

The Fifteenth Amendment is the third of the Reconstruction Amendments. This amendment prohibits the states and the federal government from using a citizen's race,[1] color or previous status as a slave as a voting qualification.

Nope, don't see the explicit right.

As for homeschooling, I managed to get my Ph. D. despite all of the public schooling I received.
be nice to her. she's from another country.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:21 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,937,865 times
Quote:
Whatever school you attended ought to have their accreditation revoked.
Yes yes yes...I'm sure they should revoke it.

Oh well...my students will disagree, as well as the foundations that fund my research. I'm sure most of these people (except for a few of the iDork gadget addicted freshman) would pass this hypothetical test.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,751,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Actually, that's so naive and simplistic that, considering the fundamental cruel purpose of your proposal, I have to believe it's tongue-in-cheek.

I mean, you're not really that naive, are you?

It is you who are naive. And that's really putting it nice. It is not naive to think that the poor and unedjucated have access to a public library.

How exactly is my purpose cruel? That makes no since whatsoever.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,583,097 times
If you believe in democracy and the idea that all citizens should be represented by our government, then no, a knowledge test would be a terrible requirement.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,937,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If you believe in democracy and the idea that all citizens should be represented by our government, then no, a knowledge test would be a terrible requirement.
It's a good thing we're not in a democracy then.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,359,288 times
Quote:
The privilege to vote is not explicitly guaranteed. It only illustrates the conditions in which it cannot be denied. The privilege also lost upon committing a felony, yet that's not in the constitution, is it?
All four of those amendments begin with "The right of citizens of the United States..." but you think it is a "privilege." The truly scary part is that you are allowed to vote.

7,835 posts, read 8,410,459 times
Quote:

Yes yes yes...I'm sure they should revoke it.

Oh well...my students will disagree, as well as the foundations that fund my research. I'm sure most of these people (except for a few of the iDork gadget addicted freshman) would pass this hypothetical test.
If they only knew how uneducated you actually are, there's no doubt they'd pull their funding in a heartbeat. Luckily for you, none of them are likely members here, or if they are, know your true identity. I fear for your (alleged) students.

1,065 posts, read 1,751,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You may have a point. It's nice to finallt here an intellegent argument against the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies