U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 PM

32,656 posts, read 16,697,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
That is one poll. Good grief, people could go back and forth all night with examples and that doesn't prove anything.
Gotta run, but feel free to provide a counterexample or two, I promise to check up tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,597,353 times
Quote:
I am starting to think that maybe people should have to take a basic test in order to be registered to vote. It seems to me that most people in this country no more about Michael Jackson, the NFL, or Spencer Pratt than they know about issues that have enormous impacts on all of our lives. The test would cover:

Basic Economics
Basic Current Events
Basic U.S. History
Basic World History

Should someone be allowed to vote that can't point to Europe on a map, or can't tell you what supply equals?
It pains me to say it: but you are right...and you need to add SCIENCE and GEOGRAPHY!!! THAT WILL NULLIFY QUITE A FEW "QUESTIONABLE" VOTERS like "the flat earth people" VOTERS........LOL.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:31 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,512,439 times
Quote:
Basic Economics
Basic Current Events
Basic U.S. History
Basic World History
You forgot one: Basic English

I'd like to see something along the lines of No representation without taxation. If you are cradle to grave entitlement/welfare, no voting rights for you until you get a job. If you are poor but working and pay no income tax but still have income to pay sale taxes and other fees, atleast you are trying to contribute and I would welcome your vote.

Taking a test to vote would be a pain in the butt administratively. However if working was the criteria, you only need show a W-2.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:33 PM

17,825 posts, read 20,254,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That does seem to be the Republican philosophy of late.
Except that he was referring to Obama voters. If you look back at the exit polls for 2000, you will see the same holds true for those who voted for Owl Bore ... um, I mean Al Gore. His two biggest voting blocks were also those without a high school education and those with post-graduate degrees.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:34 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,208,104 times
Should Voters be Required to Take a Basic Knowledge Test?

Yes.... and that would be an excellent way to get rid of the current GOP too

Old 07-08-2009, 05:51 PM

34,712 posts, read 33,745,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Oh yes, let's disenfranchise all those who came from poor schools and poverty.
They're the ones that keep voting for people that tell them they're victims and keep them poor.

But, I think people would be surprised at how many educated and/or middle class or wealthy people wouldn't pass those tests, either. I think I know a few. Perhaps they should start with college students.

I guess, I'd like to see every voter take a test before they vote and then get the answers so they can see for themselves what they don't know. No one else has to see the results.

I'd suggest a test on current events and each candidate's history (as opposed to the positions they take to get elected). You know, questions like:

1. Which candidate, who was the head of the Ways and Means Committee in the US House of Representatives, the committee that writes tax law, didn't pay his own taxes in 1995?

2. Name the candidate who said, "Yes, I voted to go to War in Blah, but I never read the legislation before I voted for it."

3. Which candidate increased his state's debt by 40 percent, every year he was governor?

Perhaps, a photo array of key politicians to see if they can identify them and the position they hold in government.

You know, the purpose would be to embarrass them into learning more before they vote blindly.

But I still think they should all be able to vote because they pay taxes.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:11 PM

786 posts, read 926,081 times
Hell no! That is anti-democratic and unconstitutional. It could also be misused for political purposes or to discriminate against certain people. Don't you remember the literacy tests during the segregation era? Hell no, it's a horrible idea.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 PM

786 posts, read 926,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
You forgot one: Basic English

I'd like to see something along the lines of No representation without taxation. If you are cradle to grave entitlement/welfare, no voting rights for you until you get a job. If you are poor but working and pay no income tax but still have income to pay sale taxes and other fees, atleast you are trying to contribute and I would welcome your vote.

Taking a test to vote would be a pain in the butt administratively. However if working was the criteria, you only need show a W-2.
Wow! between this post and your posts about the Honduras millitary coup, it is clear to me that you don't like democracy very much. Democracy isn't democracy unless EVERYONE can participate. I don't give a damn if you don't speak a lick of English and have been on welfare for 5 years; if you're a citizen you should have the right to vote.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:22 PM

9,043 posts, read 11,609,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Wow! between this post and your posts about the Honduras millitary coup, it is clear to me that you don't like democracy very much. Democracy isn't democracy unless EVERYONE can participate. I don't give a damn if you don't speak a lick of English and have been on welfare for 5 years; if you're a citizen you should have the right to vote.
If you don't like it, too damn bad. We live in a republic, not a democracy. That's why the PRIVILEGE of voting is revoked when you're a ex-con, or a resident of say Puerto Rico and is therefore not a right granted to US citizens.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:33 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,054,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
I agree. What are they suggesting - if you're unemployed, you don't get to vote? That would be ridiculous.

Is it safe to say that the desire to restrict who is allowed to vote is a desire only of conservatives? I imagine that it was mainly conservatives who were opposed to lowering the voting age from 21 to 18 back in the 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies