Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:00 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

So you would want even less people voting? we need to encourage more people to vote. So who comes up with this test? the government? You got to be kidding, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 03:02 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
So you would want even less people voting? we need to encourage more people to vote.
No, I want people making informed decisions. It doesn't seem like too much to ask of those who are voting for people who will make decisions over all our lives, to actually know something about their own government.

Heck, I just recently had a Facebook friend post a video from somebody walking around a COLLEGE campus asking people the most basic civics questions, like "Who won the Civil War?" and "Who did we win our independence from?" and "Who is the current vice president?" -- and these people couldn't answer. College students. They had no clue. But when they were asked what TV show Snooki was on, they all answered instantly. No, I don't want people like that choosing who's going to rule over all our lives.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:14 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
I'm against voting (and government altogether), but assuming I wasn't I'd say it's not a good idea. It would be nice to eliminate the risk of the sheeple screwing things up, but deciding who is allowed to vote isn't much different than letting a small "elite" decide things for everybody.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRZZpk_9k8E

Old 02-25-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm against voting (and government altogether), but assuming I wasn't I'd say it's not a good idea. It would be nice to eliminate the risk of the sheeple screwing things up, but deciding who is allowed to vote isn't much different than letting a small "elite" decide things for everybody.
I agree with you, actually, on all counts. I guess I hold on to some naive hope that having educated voters would result in better candidates, because the people would demand it. I realize that's probably too much to hope for.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:32 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
I am starting to think that maybe people should have to take a basic test in order to be registered to vote. It seems to me that most people in this country no more about Michael Jackson, the NFL, or Spencer Pratt than they know about issues that have enormous impacts on all of our lives. The test would cover:

Basic Economics
Basic Current Events
Basic U.S. History
Basic World History

Should someone be allowed to vote that can't point to Europe on a map, or can't tell you what supply equals?
No, your voting criteria does not need to apply to all voters. They may vote based on the size of the lumps on the candidate's head. That is their prerogative and right.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Actually no, it would remove the woman vote.
Because you think women are stupid?

Old 02-25-2015, 03:36 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
if voters had to take a knowledge test, democrats could never get elected
lol, Democrats say some people are too dumb to even complete a basic voter registration.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:36 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
And apparently I would not be able to vote as I spelled know "no".

Ha!
Review & resubmit.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:42 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
I am starting to think that maybe people should have to take a basic test in order to be registered to vote. It seems to me that most people in this country no more about Michael Jackson, the NFL, or Spencer Pratt than they know about issues that have enormous impacts on all of our lives. The test would cover:

Basic Economics
Basic Current Events
Basic U.S. History
Basic World History

Should someone be allowed to vote that can't point to Europe on a map, or can't tell you what supply equals?

Test the politicians as well. Quite a few POTUS couldn't tell you where some counties are. The decider couldn't in the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies