Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:36 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post

If you are one of the people here who oppose the idea, let me ask you this?

Does it make you mad that so many in this country vote without knowing whats going on?
Yes. Please write your Representative and ask them to enact legislation that prohibits Republicans from voting. They are the most uneducated, ignorant group of voters in this country. They think if Rush, Beck or O'Reilly spews it, it must be true. They don't fact-check. They don't use critical thinking. They buy into and perpetuate conspiracy theories. [MOD CUT/personal attack]

(For those who are sarcasm impaired, I do not genuinely advocate that Republicans be denied the right to vote, although a literacy test would almost certainly give Democrats a majority rule for multiple generations.)

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-08-2009 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 04:43 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach.
Actually, I did and wanted to relax a bit after I did for so long, so I now teach!

So, by that stance, the "esteemed" Paul Krugman being a professor "can't"?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:43 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,755,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If we don't even require our supposedly intelligent representatives to read bills before voting on them why should we require or expect anything from the general voting populus?
Great point! You know the more I think about it the more I'm changing my mind. Having the absolute right to vote is an essential part of what makes this country great.

However, If it doesn't make you mad that people vote blindly, then that is crazy. Some of you would like more people to vote blindly just to garner higher voter turnout. That is ridiculous.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
How about only property owners can vote, as it was originally here?
How about we start with only those that are still alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Oh yes, let's disenfranchise all those who came from poor schools and poverty.
Why would you think that "poor" schools can't teach and poor students don't have the ability to learn? I would think that your bank account has little to do with your learning ability. But then again, I'm not a liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
good grief
I would just love to have someone decent to vote for!!
And I also want term limits, I think we should scrub the whole lot of them and start over
Talk about an understatement. We had to pick between a liberal and a fascist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
that was pre income tax though. if they pay tax, they should be able to vote.
I agree! No representation without taxation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The privilege to vote is not explicitly guaranteed. It only illustrates the conditions in which it cannot be denied. The privilege also lost upon committing a felony, yet that's not in the constitution, is it?
I agree, we have no constitutional right to vote for president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
For those of you engaged in the "right to vote" argument, read this.

The Right to Vote
I was going to bring that up, you beat me to it. He can't be wr...wr...wrong, he is not only a dem but [whisper] he's black too [/whisper]

Old 07-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
They are the most uneducated, ignorant group of voters in this country. They think if Rush, Beck or O'Reilly spews it, it must be true. They don't fact-check. They don't use critical thinking.
What is this the twilight zone??? The EXACT OPPOSITE is true. If Obama or Oberman or Huffington spews it it must be true. DEMS are the absolute Kings of failing to fact check and think logically.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Yes, but only if I can make the rules. Rule number 1. Would you vote for GWBush for a third term, if possible. ANy one answering yes should not be allowed to vote because they could not be trusted to know their arse from a hole in the ground.
But those people did vote, for Obama.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:51 PM

The Right to Vote

I did not know that but what a TKO body slam!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:01 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
If you are one of the people here who oppose the idea, let me ask you this?

Does it make you mad that so many in this country vote without knowing whats going on?
Speaking as a resident alien who can't even vote, it doesn't make me mad, it makes me - unhappy, I guess. It's rather disheartening to watch people take a privilege so lightly. But "no taxation without representation" is a pretty sound principle. If people can take part in society - without going to jail or to a mental institution - they deserve their say on how society should be run. Few enough vote as it is.

And as has been pointed out above, it's been tried and seriously abused not so very long ago.

Because that's the problem: The "test" would immediately become politicized. The temptation to somehow block dumb rednecks/worthless welfare cases (please pick, according to political view) from voting would be immense.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:05 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
How many of you have spoken to (Or are yourself, heavens forbid!!) voters that choose based on ...looks...personability...single issue stances?
There is no apparent way to filter out voters but one help is not to encourage those that didn't intend to.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Pool of 2,000 questions, chosen at random at voting booth (10 questions/voter/1min time limit per question). You vote afterwards. If you couldn't get at least 5 or 6 right, the vote falls into the bit bucket and isn't counted (but the voter doesn't know this). This way you get the fewest complaints from folks who will claim they weren't allowed to vote.

Even better, your vote always counts but is weighed based on the amount of questions you got correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies