Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
I am starting to think that maybe people should have to take a basic test in order to be registered to vote. It seems to me that most people in this country no more about Michael Jackson, the NFL, or Spencer Pratt than they know about issues that have enormous impacts on all of our lives. The test would cover:

Basic Economics
Basic Current Events
Basic U.S. History
Basic World History

Should someone be allowed to vote that can't point to Europe on a map, or can't tell you what supply equals?

Unfortunately this was deemed unconstitutional decades ago. Just think of it: if such a test were required, votes for Democrats would diminish by 80 - 90%>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:01 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Unfortunately this was deemed unconstitutional decades ago. Just think of it: if such a test were required, votes for Democrats would diminish by 80 - 90%>
Depends what questions were asked. You could knock out a lot more democrats or republicans simply by biasing the questions, which is why I am not sure it would be feasible.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
there would be so few qualified to vote at that point. a few would control the elections. While I wish the voters were smarter and wished they would actually study the issues at hand it is mostly a lost cause. We can barely get them to vote... much less educating themselves.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:23 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,755,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
None of this education gives one common sense and the original post is devoid of said common sense. I've never seen any poster post such a pompass diatribe of their educational background. Nobody here gives a shyt..
Tank, you need to improve your reading skills. My diatribe was in response to a post basically calling me an idioit like you just did. I simply defended myself. If you don't give a shyt then go somewhere else. I for one don't give a shyt how a moron like you defines common sense.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In response to the OP. I am completely opposed to ANY voter test and poll tax because testing will almost certainly be used to exclude the poor and the obnoxious.

BTY - You flunked your own test.
Know - to have knowledge.
No - a negation.

Proofread your posts and you will be less likely to come across as an elitist fool.
You are the fool. Learn how to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
And apparently I would not be able to vote as I spelled know "no".

Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
I cant believe this passive-aggressive hate-thread has gone on for 15 pages -- how many people, in this day and age, jumping on the discrimination bandwagon.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:34 PM

I can't believe how much this thread brings out the nastiness in people INCLUDING myself. I started the thread and have since changed my position to believe its a bad idea. People need to learn how to debate ideas courtesly INCLUDING ones they disagree with. Calling others names (I regretfully participated) makes us third graders. We should be above that.

If you disagree with the threads idea, state an intelligent objection. Some did this and those post made me truly rethink my idea. Childish hateful posts accomplish nothing.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
And that statement represents just one reason why the Republican Party is struggling: The elitist attitude does little to attract those from poor or otherwise disadvantaged backgrounds.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
You ought to inform Jesse Jackson, because he already wrote an op-ed on why there needs to be a right to vote (implying no such right exists).
I already commented on Jesse Jackson Jr. article in this thread, and I pointed out his numerous errors. Like the fact that he says DC citizens are not able to vote. That is not true. DC citizens do vote for DC Mayor and their Assembly, in addition to electing a non-voting member to the House of Representatives. And that is just one example of where Jackson got it wrong. So Jackson either lied or is ignorant on the subject, take your pick.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times
I have always been in favor for suffrage and am proud that my fellow Americans have the ability to vote for one thief or another. Just because we have the ability to vote does not make us true holders of democracy. Those who have refuse to understand politics are just as dangerous as the elite narcissists who decide to rule rather and represent. God save the U.S.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies