Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

I would not mind increasing taxes on tobacco and alcohol as I do not use either. If there is a tax on sugar & corn fructose laden soft drinks I will just have to give up my diet cola habit. That would do me good because I would save money and not pay any additional taxes.

As I have said elsewhere, I believe our economy and society would be better off if the Federal Income Tax was changed to include all income from all sources with a base deductable of at least twice the median income and logarithmically progressive rates topping out at 99+%. If this was implemented, I and about 80+% of the population would be exempted from Federal Income tax. This would place the burden of operating the country on the people that own the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 06:57 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Neo-cons are such losers. They do nothing to help. They have nothing to offer. Their sole reason for living is to **** on the President, divide the nation, and bring down the American government.

He claimed taxes would not be raised. During the campaign. Before the bottom fell out of the economy.

If he has to raise taxes, so be it. Step up to the plate and pay more taxes, like the American patriot you only claim to be.
Much like liberals during the last 8 years.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Much like liberals during the last 8 years.
Did you forget the part where Bush actually destroyed this country and might have deserved the criticism he received? As opposed to Obama getting loads of it before he was even sworn in.

This is just a case sore loserness and pay back rolled into one giant ignorance bonanza. Its obvious to see that no matter what Obama did, he was going to be hated on by the right just because they wanted to save face after the abortion that was Bush's presidency.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Did you forget the part where Bush actually destroyed this country and might have deserved the criticism he received? As opposed to Obama getting loads of it before he was even sworn in.

This is just a case sore loserness and pay back rolled into one giant ignorance bonanza. Its obvious to see that no matter what Obama did, he was going to be hated on by the right just because they wanted to save face after the abortion that was Bush's presidency.
Oh please, I am not saying it is right that Obama was not given a chance by the right but do you not remember the 2000 election?

Bush was called a fake President and never given a chance until Sept 11.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:12 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
AP now realizes what Obama is all about.

PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge unrealistic - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090708/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_tax_promise - broken link)
It amazes me that the media refuses to talk about the pass down costs from businesses to consumers when they talk cap and trade. All they ever mention is your personal utility bill increase. People don't understand that EVERYTHING (food, clothing, products, services) is going to go up in price. Businesses are not going to absorb the new costs of running their businesses (their utility bills, their fuel costs, etc.). They will either lay people off and/or make you, the consumer pay more. Yet, Congress and the Obama administration will say, "Well, it's not a tax increase." It's going to hurt you MORE than a tax increase.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:13 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Did you forget the part where Bush actually destroyed this country and might have deserved the criticism he received?
Please, point to the statistics that corroborate this claim.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Oh please, I am not saying it is right that Obama was not given a chance by the right but do you not remember the 2000 election?

Bush was called a fake President and never given a chance until Sept 11.
Bush was called a fake president because people were upset with the way he was elected. Then once he was faced with any kind of adversity he folded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Please, point to the statistics that corroborate this claim.
Do I have to look up how many soldiers have died at Bush's whim and exactly how much money has been pumped into a useless and meaningless war? Or can you do that on your own? After that, just google "Katrina" to learn Bush's definition of a "heckuva job"

If you need additional sources, theres plenty more where that came from.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:33 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
As usual, no answers.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
As usual, no answers.
So death and depression isn't enough ruin for you?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
AP now realizes what Obama is all about.

PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge unrealistic - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090708/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_tax_promise - broken link)
Senate Democrats this week pretty much rejected a proposal by Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., to tax health benefits, an idea that Obama repeatedly criticized during the presidential election campaign but has refused to take off the table.

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said negotiators are still looking for revenue alternatives. Asked during an interview with The Associated Press if they included tax increases on families with incomes less than $250,000 a year, Schumer said, "There are lots of things on the table now."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies