U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,331,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Here's another article on this incident, that seems to have a more balanced tone to it, and does not say that anyone came up to them after arriving at the pool and asked them to leave. Sounds like the membership was rescinded 2 days later and may have been more based on the fact that the pool may not comfortably hold 65 kids from the camp plus other members, as opposed to race. But of course its automatically assumed because the kids were black that it was based on race. If it was a camp with all white kids, this would never have made the news.
Ronnie Polaneczky: A SPLASH OF COLD WATER | Philadelphia Daily News | 07/09/2009 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20090709_Ronnie_Polaneczky__A_SPLASH_OF_COLD_WATER .html - broken link)
Unless it violates the amount of kids in the pool, not outside it, then that doesn't fly. They advertise open houses, they should know their membership levels and what they can and can't do. If you only have 30 slots open and sell 65 that's their fault, but i don't know any idiots that own a facility and don't know how many it can support. Maybe some night clubs or bars... There are very strict rules on how many people can be in the pool based on how large it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 PM

7,936 posts, read 13,832,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Unless it violates the amount of kids in the pool, not outside it, then that doesn't fly. They advertise open houses, they should know their membership levels and what they can and can't do. If you only have 30 slots open and sell 65 that's their fault, but i don't know any idiots that own a facility and don't know how many it can support. Maybe some night clubs or bars... There are very strict rules on how many people can be in the pool based on how large it is.
I'm not saying that what they did was right, but I'm not necessarily buying the racial argument.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:06 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,948,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Huntingdon Valley is a blue city?

Nope. Just a blue valley.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:06 PM

51,599 posts, read 41,563,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
See, why you gotta go posting things to raise my blood pressure and give me a stroke.

Remember racism is dead because Obama is POTUS.

What will be intersting is the way some people are going to try to make this a non-racial incident.

Let's see if the first excuse will be "it's a private business" and they can choose whomever they want to use the facilities".

Even if the club advertises to everyone, signs a contract and takes their money.

Oops one too many black kids, we better kick them all out!
Well obviously the club is private and can choose to be racists if they want to.

Seems pretty cut and dried to me.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM

460 posts, read 711,545 times
If it's truly a private club, then they have the right to be restricted.

::shrug::

From what I've seen in this place, the main complaint will be that we need to cut taxes so every hard-working (read white) American can afford this type of accomodation.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:55 PM

32,308 posts, read 59,558,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The swim club accepted their money - they refunded it back after seeing the color of the campers skins. When they accepted the money the club ceased being a private entity - the campers had full right to the pool.
Incorrect. The swim club refunded the money several days later after receiving complaints from the members about the child-to-adult ratio and lack of supervision. Sixty-five kids and eight adults? I'd complain as well.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:06 PM

9,243 posts, read 23,389,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
In a marginally blue state and a very very blue city too
And people always think this stuff happens exclusively in the South

Old 07-09-2009, 01:10 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,259,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Incorrect. The swim club refunded the money several days later after receiving complaints from the members about the child-to-adult ratio and lack of supervision. Sixty-five kids and eight adults? I'd complain as well.
Oh please --- have you never been to a swimming pool? The two pools that I have/do belong to are both private and unsupervised kids between the ages of 9-18 are legion. It is summer, you know
And yes there were even women who ran in home day care who brought there daycare kids to the pool.

Now, if the children were acting out then the pool would put the organization and individual children on notice then bar said individual kids if their behavior does not improve. If the organization didn't respond to the pools request for them to make their kids behave then eventually the entire organization would get the boot. But for all this to happen in one day after one visit? To quote my grandfather "Bushwah!"

Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 PM

3,151 posts, read 3,129,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
There are racist people all across America.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Absolutely. And if the facts of this story are true..it is unacceptable. It is not beyond belief..but seems a bit "dated". I mean this is something you would expect to have read years ago..not in 2009. But I would believe anything. But in Philly??? Seems a little weird to me.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 894 times
Racism is alive and well in pennsylvania, and northers talk about the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies