U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:35 AM

429 posts, read 612,331 times

Advertisements

thats sad..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 11:38 AM

8,743 posts, read 10,247,730 times
Poor boy. I sincerely hope he is doing better now.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 AM

8,240 posts, read 15,221,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Poor boy. I sincerely hope he is doing better now.
This kid will probably NEVER be 'doing better'. His stepfather and mother should be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:03 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,460,512 times
Hey there you better be careful about slammin' Vermont that's where I am from!
However, I believe I know the specific cases you are referring to and I must add a few comments about those and other "sex offender issues"....

As a victim/survivor of violent crime, I have become an active activist on behalf of victims' rights. As such, I have spoken in various forums, including victim impact panels, legislative forums and have been on boards regarding the "judicial system", in the greatest sense of the term. What I have learned, and although I will speak in terms of Vermont, and only from my personal experiences AND I trust the same fits most states:
how crimes are dealt with seem to vary from county to county and prosector to prosecutor. Let's take, for example, the horror and tragedy of Brooke in Randolph VT and that case which stirred up a great deal of passion and feelings in the area, and led to the ressurection of Jessica's Law, or a variation of it in this state, which, I might add, would not have prevented the situation had it been in place. I am an absolute advocate and fighter for victims and I also believe that in many ways Jessica's Law is not the best law to implement, not because I don't want to see accountability to offenders, I sure has he** do, but I think that it will actually keep children from coming forward. It is horrible enough for a child to tell that Uncle Rick, or Grandpa Bill or Stepdad Henry, etc. molested them, they are terrified to do so because they have already been told, the majority of the time that if you tell, "I will kill you, or your mom", etc. or hurt them...and the other side of it is that the child can be "blamed" for the fact that Uncle Rick will be sentenced to 25 years because...and although we certainly know it was not the child's fault to be molested at all....the guilt, shame and fear are added on to this child on top of the trauma they have already gone through.

I truly believe that the greatest flaw in any situation is the lack of accountability; lack of accountability being the offender not owning up to, a parent recognizing that something may be going on and not standing up against it...I do not believe it is a simple black/white issue; I believe the whole situation is complex.

I believe that all sex registries must be current; I don't care how much money it takes to do so either. I find it unconscienable when an offender is not on that registry in a timely manner. I find it unconscienable when looking at the registry to see a person with the comment: non-compliant and no warrant issued. I find it unconscienable to when the comment states non-compliant and no longer supervised.

I strongly believe that legislation must be introduced and passed into law bills that make sense, that are created pro-actively not responsive to a situation. I believe when that happens there are too many pitfalls and then when someone gets off from a case because of that pitfall, everyone becomes outraged. I would rather a bill take longer to be passed but be far more effective and full-proof.

I think that child, whether he was 7 or 17 had to be living in such fear and terror that someone, whether it was a teacher, a neighbor, someone had to have seen something, suspected something and if so, shame on them for not taking a chance or the risk or reaching out to that child; and perhaps someone did and we just don't know it yet. I would hope so.

If you can't tell, this is my button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies