U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,179,165 times

Advertisements

It appears self-imposed segregation might be a starting solution for races/cultures who cannot or will not live in harmony together. There are enough problems with human nature's natural bent toward hatred and violence without throwing in the factor of different races trying to live together in a very complex society. Multiculturalism just doesn't work, except in a dictatorship. Anyone for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM

25,235 posts, read 14,040,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Ohio.com - Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family (http://www.ohio.com/news/50172282.html - broken link)
"Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

Sure sounds like a hate crime to me...
I do not believe in "hate" crimes, a crime is a crime is a crime, no matter what one calls it. When we try and catagorize crimes we end up with assualts that are label domestic violence, and not treated in the same light, which is wrong.
Casper

Old 07-09-2009, 10:28 AM

40,092 posts, read 24,341,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
It appears self-imposed segregation might be a starting solution for races/cultures who cannot or will not live in harmony together. There are enough problems with human nature's natural bent toward hatred and violence without throwing in the factor of different races trying to live together in a very complex society. Multiculturalism just doesn't work, except in a dictatorship. Anyone for that?
Absolutely not.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:28 AM

898 posts, read 1,302,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Somethings not right with this story. I'm not saying Martin Marshall wasn't attacked by some black kids. But I think more information will come to light. Where are the witnesses? It was the 4th....there had to people all over the place? "The Marshalls' two adult male friends were not seriously hurt". How can this be? Fifty on three, and one guy takes the beating?

Something's fishy...
Agreed. We're only hearing one part of the story and, of course, they're not going to admit to whatever they did to provoke anybody. Fifty kids and you're still going to take them on? I don't think so unless you think you're some kind of badass and, based on his statement about his ribs this guy thinks of himself as a fighter or has some kind of training.
I'm not defending anyone based on skin hue or even trying to take part in the race politics discussion; just stating the fact that people tend to omit their part in a bad situation when they tell the story.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 AM

5,767 posts, read 10,298,468 times
It's incredibly screwed up that someone could potentially be plunged into bankruptcy over medical bills related to an unprovoked beating. That aspect of our medical system MUST change.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 PM

25,877 posts, read 39,135,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
A dumb woman has been bashed over and over..You're the first to inject race into it.

What one person calls another they are aquainted with is there business.

What do black people call white people that's normal?

Racism can't grow anymore..It sucks either way you spin it..Whites are feeling about .000000000000000001% of what blacks have been getting since the slave ships landed...No good in it. It just goes to show how much it sucks.
I'm white and Jewish (maybe not racism, but anti semitism)...and what about slaves...shouldn't black people stop about talking all the time about having been slaves...Jewish people have been slaves too...If you keep talking about it, it will never stop!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,844,563 times
Quote:
Ohio.com - Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family (http://www.ohio.com/news/50172282.html - broken link)
"Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

I know of dozens of individuals that wouldn't have made it out of the yard. The 2nd Amendment and my concealed carry permit would have made sure of that.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM

30,436 posts, read 20,090,801 times
Quote:

Nope, can't be because the victims were white. Oh, and I almost forgot, "They must have done something to desirve it"! See minority groups don't do things like that without a white person provoking it. (See, Rebecca Gordon age 17, murdered in Detroit)

Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM

14,154 posts, read 11,625,680 times
this has some similarities to that lady who was beaten in ..Boston was it?. On a Bus. 5 black teen beat her an supposedly it was all over her refusing to give up her seat and a 'look' she gave the kids. When all that people see in other peoples mannerisms and attitudes is racially interpreted incidents like this are going to be common. Running around with a chip on your shoulder, in a world where everybody is spoiling for a fight, is a good way to get the fists flying.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM

30,684 posts, read 33,450,741 times
I'd like to have more info than the article gives. Were there witnesses? Etc. Something sounds "off" to me but it may just be that there wern't too many details in the initial report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies