Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Would narrow minded view be a better description of those on the left who are unable to bring themselves to admit that there IS such a thing as racial hatred from other than white people....
I kind of doubt it--its always safe for liberals to "Blame whitey"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Would narrow minded view be a better description of those on the left who are unable to bring themselves to admit that there IS such a thing as racial hatred from other than white people....
Blah, of course racism can exist in any person, regardless of their color or ethnicity. People on the left don't make the claim that racism is exclusively a white trait, anymore than they claim that Obama is a messiah. People on the right try to attribute such claims to the left, in an effort to marginalize the arguments that people on the left do make.

Every single person on this planet has some preconceived ideas about other people that are not based on actual experience. It may have nothing to do with race. It could be the idea that people in Chicago are rude. Or that men in Italy are all flirts. It could be the idea that traveling to South America is dangerous. It could be that the only sport Spaniards care about is soccer.
It could be that French women are innately stylish.

We all have ideas and beliefs about other people, and a tendency to generalize. This statement itself is a generalization. It's just about being human. So clearly, racism isn't exclusive to any group. But the fact that it's a human trait doesn't make it a good human trait, or something that we want to perpetuate.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I kind of doubt it--its always safe for liberals to "Blame whitey"
As a white person, I absolutely refuse to buy into this, "poor white people, they are so victimized." I don't want other people to feel sorry for me because I'm white. Do you?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
DC,the point is if you read through this thread you see people loathe to assign any blame to the attackers for their racial bigotry and for some to defend it due to what happened a hundred plus years ago.

The attackers were young so have ZERO experience of what it was like to be denied anything based on the color of their skin.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
DC,the point is if you read through this thread you see people loathe to assign any blame to the attackers for their racial bigotry and for some to defend it due to what happened a hundred plus years ago.

The attackers were young so have ZERO experience of what it was like to be denied anything based on the color of their skin.
I did note some of that. I also noted a lot more people who expressed curiosity about the "whole" story. This incident didn't occur in a vacuum. People want to understand more about a situation before passing judgment. I don't think that's an irrational position to take about this story.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 AM

I saw people wanting to deny it happened the way it was described...

And calling it a hoax.

Perhaps being cynical I see that those on the left are afraid of criticising minorities for anything and oftentimes come up with odd reasons to not do so....such as their grandparents being denied the right to vote...

Old 07-17-2009, 10:06 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:

And calling it a hoax.

Perhaps being cynical I see that those on the left are afraid of criticising minorities for anything and oftentimes come up with odd reasons to not do so....such as their grandparents being denied the right to vote...
LOL! Checkmate!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:

And calling it a hoax.

I can see where you are coming from. I think that as a society, the idea of personal responsibility has sometimes been driven underground. But my personal responsibility doesn't mean just owning my actions and words. I feel that I also need to take responsibility for who I am. Part of how I define who I am depends on how I see the world around me. So I think I owe it to myself to try to understand that world around me, to understand why people act the way they do, say the things they say. I try to engage people who do not agree with me about issues, not just to argue (I won't lie about this either, I love to argue), but also because I'm trying to understand how they see the world around themselves. And your reality is different than mine. Your experiences are different than my experiences. Your education is different. Your job is different. Your social life is different. All the things that add up to the lives we lead are all part of the reality we live, and we are all unique. So I'm interested in your reality. I'm interested in your conclusions. I'm interested in how you arrived at those conclusions.

I think a lot of people are like me. They are interested in why those black youths behaved the way they did. Was it some sort of initiation to a gang? Was it racially motivated? Were drugs involved? Being interested in the reasons for bad behavior sometimes reads to people who are outraged by the behavior as excusing the behavior. But if you dig a little deeper, I think you'd find that liberals aren't interested in excusing the bad behavior, they are actually interested in understanding it so that it can be prevented in the future.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 AM

Perhaps it is as simple as they are thugs and animals...

Old way of thinking but it seems this modern idea of finding out the causes of such behavior(but never seeming to apply blame to the thugs) isn't really working out that well.

There is no underlying reason to in any way justify such behavior....

Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,299 times
This is exactly why I don't support hate crimes AT ALL. If someone commits a crime, whatever the reasoning behind it may be, he/she/they should be punished accordingly. Hate crimes have the effect of creating a two-tiered justice system... one for people protected under hate crimes, and another for people who are not. Hate crimes are racist (or sexist or whatever), because they give preference to a certain group of people only because of their particular race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. For instance...

A. A white man beats up another white man and the criminal gets sentenced to 2 years in prison (these are completely hypothetical numbers).

B. A white man beats up a black man to an equal degree of the first crime, yet this criminal gets sentenced to 3 years in prison because it was not only assault and battery, but also a hate crime.

Do you see where the preference is shown? Why should the criminal who attacked the black man be subject to more time prison time? The two crimes were equally heinous, so they should get equal punishment. The reasoning behind the person's crime should not matter when it comes to punishing that person. If we're supposed to have an equal society, then person's punishment should not be dependant upon the victim's skin color or sex life. And really, I think that hate crimes only further divide the country and different races. How are we expected to treat each other as equals when the government tells us that we are not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies