U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When you see the Confederate flag displayed,what thoughts or feelings do you have about that time in
It represents a great period of American history 10 21.28%
I know it offends people but its my right to fly it 10 21.28%
It is offensive if people are proud of states rights,they can fly their state flag 12 25.53%
Don't really care 18 38.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 PM

481 posts, read 827,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Why wouldn't you want your daughter to draw her own conclusions?
Um, because she is 8 and it is my job as a mother to help educate her to the best fo my abilities. Woudl you let your DD walk around with a swaztika towel thinking it was a cute design until she learned on her own what it mean and came to her own conclusions? Of course not. That's just ludicrous. I would no sooner allow her to wear a shirt with the picture of a man who almost killed her great grandfather, imprisoned her daddy's family, and starves the rest of her family that she may never get the chance to meet.

Quote:
My point is its a misconception that the flag itself represents racism.
No that is not a misconception. It's your belief.

Quote:
Either you are American or you arent. If you are a US citizen you are American. If Cubans didn't like Castro they wouldn't have let him rule their country for so long. Its pretty simple.
Again, no, I am Cuban-American. How can you tell me how I should see myself? As for the Cuban people "allowing" him to rule, sigh, yeah I guess they should have just voted him out. Duh, why didn't I think of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 03:04 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,726,242 times
Lol the above post re: Cuba,many people were not for Castro, I would surmise....same here in the US..MANY of us voted and NEVER wanted Bush,but we got stuck with him 8 years anyway.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:22 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,532,032 times
HAVE A LITTLE MERCY PLEASE! Those of us who did will never forgive ourselves...we have to live with this the rest of our lives, is that not punishment enough?

Old 07-25-2009, 04:30 AM

356 posts, read 1,090,704 times
A little history
http://americancivilwar.com/south/conflag/stars_ba.gif (broken link)

Although less well known than the "Confederate Battle Flags", the Stars and Bars was used as the official flag of the Confederacy from March 1861 to May of 1863. The pattern and colors of this flag did not distinguish it sharply fom the Stars and Stripes of the Union. Consequently, considerable confusion was caused on the battlefield.

The seven stars represent the original Confederate States.

The Confederate Battle Flag

The best-known of all Confederate flags—the battle flag—is often erroneously confused with the national flag of the Confederacy. The battle flag features the cross of St. Andrew (the apostle was martyred by being crucified on an X-shaped cross), and is commonly called the "Southern Cross." A large degree of the Southern population was of Scottish and Scotch-Irish ancestry, and thus familiar with St. Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland. The stars represented the eleven states actually in the Confederacy, plus Kentucky and Missouri. This flag is the flag popularly associated with Robert E. Lee, and is the flag under which he fought.

The Bonnie Blue

http://americancivilwar.com/south/conflag/bonnie_blue.jpeg (broken link)
The first recorded use of the lone star flag dates to 1810. On September 11, 1810 a troop of West Florida dragoons set out for the provincial capitol at Baton Rouge under this flag. They were joined by other republican forces and captured Baton Rouge, imprisoned the Governor and on September 23, 1810 raised their Bonnie Blue flag over the Fort of Baton Rouge. Three days later the president of the West Florida Convention, signed a Declaration of Independence and the flag became the emblem of a new republic. By December 10, the flag of the United States replaced the Bonnie Blue after President Madison issued a proclamation declaring West Florida under the jurisdiction of the Governor of the Louisiana Territory. With this rebellion in mind, this flag was used by the Republic of Texas from 1836 to 1839. On January 9, 1861 the convention of the People of Mississippi adopted an Ordinance of Secession. With this announcement the Bonnie Blue flag was raised over the capitol building in Jackson. Harry Macarthy was so inspired that he wrote a song entitled "The Bonnie Blue Flag" which became the second most popular patriotic song of the Confederacy. The Confederate government did not adopt this flag but the people did and the lone star flags were adopted in some form in five of the southern States that adopted new flags in 1861.

Confederate Navy Jack

http://americancivilwar.com/south/conflag/scross.gif (broken link)

Used as a navy jack at sea from 1863 onward. This flag has become the generally recognized symbol of the South.

Note: It is necessary to disclaim any connection of these flags to neo-nazis, red-necks, skin-heads and the like. These groups have adopted this flag and desecrated it by their acts. They have no right to use this flag - it is a flag of honor, designed by the confederacy as a banner representing state's rights and still revered by the South. In fact, under attack, it still flies over the South Carolina capitol building. The South denies any relation to these hate groups and denies them the right to use the flags of the confederacy for any purpose. The crimes committed by these groups under the stolen banner of the confederacy only exacerbate the lies which link the seccesion to slavery interests when, from a Southerner's view, the cause was state's rights. Note contributed by BJ Meksikatsi.

The Southern Cross, that everybody confuses with the Confederate Flag, is a piece of history, nothing more. As far as my research can show, it never flew over a slave transport ship, the flag of the USA did however. I was never a slave, slave owner, nor have I known any. I would bet nobody else on here has either. The radical groups that use the Southern Cross as a symbol of hate, should be condemed as a group, along with their uneducated point of view, not the piece of history they have stolen. If they were not a group of mindless, inarticulate, idiots, led by those with no vision, they would have created their own symbol.

If we were to rid the world of flags that flew over oppressed people at one time, there would be few left. I have read the quote many times, "those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it". History is to be studied, and researched, not destroyed or banned. The Sothern Cross is just that, a small piece of history, nothing more.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:12 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,853,550 times
Quote:
The Sothern Cross is just that, a small piece of history, nothing more..... it is a flag of honor, designed by the confederacy as a banner representing state's rights and still revered by the South
Perhaps how small, and also how honorable and/or benign it is depends on your perspective?
Deeming something honorable, IMHO, does not make it so.
Quote:
The first recorded use of the lone star flag dates to 1810. On September 11, 1810 a troop of West Florida
I googled the above snippet, and was led to some interesting sources, some quite neutral, some not.

I certainly agree that history should be studied. The flag flew over my hometown for a year, 1861-1862.

I do also agree that in the grand scheme of our planet, past and present, this flag need not be #1 on everybody's priority list for Things To Worry About. There are other, more pressing matters.

Many people seek to be a part of something bigger than themselves.
Perhaps some folks enjoy a reminder of a time that they or their people were considered to be their finest hour.
For some Southerners, perhaps the Confederate flag brings them back to the glory days of defiance.
I wonder how many folks who fly the Confederate flag fly the Stars and Stripes along with it?

Old 07-25-2009, 11:29 AM

297 posts, read 441,121 times
I live in a Northern state so I'm not going to fly the Confederate flag but if others do, I have no problems with it. If your ancestors fought for the South or if you are a Southern born and bred, and you want to fly the flag, I really could not care. I know some people say it is racist but I think the majority of those who fly it do because of a Southern pride not because they want to bring back slavery. I think the pride Southerners have for the region is actually pretty cool. I live in the Northeast and no one has a lot of pride here.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:05 PM

36,471 posts, read 15,973,573 times
Beauty and hate, are in the eye of the beholder. Many northern states participated in the slave trade. Should we not fly those flags?

If I am offended by one of those state flags, or anything else, should it be abolished?

What ever happened to Freedom of Speech?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:14 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,532,032 times
You can fly whatever you want, but people don't have to agree with you. I was reading somewhere that the swastika is some sort of Hindu symbol...but to most Americans that's not what it means. I guess you just have to consider where you're flying it, ya know? How others will interpret it. That's the whole point of flying a flag, to send some sort of message to other people.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 8 hours ago)

47,572 posts, read 45,256,057 times
Flag or not, I don't support the Confederate cause, therefore, I will never support the Confederate flag. Family history has alot to do with it.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:37 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,124,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Flag or not, I don't support the Confederate cause, therefore, I will never support the Confederate flag. Family history has alot to do with it.
Certainly understandable.

But, you can also understand why others do support the Confederat Flag and why so do choose to fly it. Personally, I will defend their right to fly that flag anytime they wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies